Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Specialized Roubaix or gravel king slicks
  • karnali
    Free Member

Looking for some 32mm tyres for winter road riding and a little bit if fire road light gravel riding, think it’s between these 2, anyone care to share their thoughts on using either. Probably with tubes but may try them tubeless at some point.
    Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had Roubaix, they didn’t last long.

Replaced with Challenge Strada Bianca which were excellent, but a little fragile.

Now on Ritchey Alpine JB WCS. Very, very impressed.

submarined
    Free Member

GKs here, but in 38mm (skinwall, natch) – bloody great. Fast, comfy, no issues on towpath and gravelly bits, and no issues run tubeless. May have had a puncture, not noticed. Lovely.

richardkennerley

Gk 32’s here (also skinwall 👌) I’m not much of an experienced roadie so I’ve not got much to compare them to, only the Clement x-plors that were on the bike before. The difference was like getting a new (better) bike!

They feel fast to me, but how that compares to a 28c slick I don’t know.

Tried to set them up tubeless once with no joy, but I think I need to tape the rims better so it’s probably more my fault than the tyres.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’m running my Vaya on Roubaix 32mm and really rate, they are super comfy on road and on towpath gravel. They are faster than I thought they would be and have fantastic grip when leaned over giving me great confidence especially in the wet.

mrb123
    Free Member

My Roubaix Pros have been superb. Done a couple of winters so far including some light gravel use. Yet to show significant signs of use and yet to have a puncture

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

also skinwall

*high five*

TiRed

You didn’t ask, but like many others. I’ve been very impressed with my Schwalbe G One Speeds in 32c. Fast on winter roads. The tiny nobbles do wear though.

isoo
    Free Member

I found the Gravel Kings a bit fragile. Had them with tubes for a time, and when setting up tubeless I found that the whole tread had little nicks where moist patches of sealant would form, ant continued to do so for the lifetime of the tyre. It ended up consuming about 50 ml of sealant every two months.

This was on the 40 mm version, the narrower ones might have different construction. But in 32 mm I see no reason not run GP5000 TL’s, except for

also skinwall

*high five*

dudeofdoom

But in 32 mm I see no reason not run GP5000 TL’s

I’m running the tubed ones in a 32 and I’m really liking them if the price is right they’re worth a lookey.

anagallis_arvensis

My Diverge came with 30mm spesh espoirs fitted, very heavy but they have been extremely puncture proof, even when used off road. Got my first puncture with them on yesterday after 2 years use, I swap them out for proper offroad but for road and light mixed terrain they have been great. Might try Roubaixs a bit lighter

roger_mellie

A-A, I did exactly that* and have been impressed on the road. Maybe psychological, but they feel less slippy.

*i.e changing to roubaixs

AdamT

I’ve done a few 1000km on 38 gk slicks and really like them. Had an issue where I punctured and needed to a fit a tube, but that’s cos the sealant had dried. Very happy to continue using them and the size makes me less concerned about bad roads and potholes.

Picto
    Free Member

Bit leftfield but I am running Clement strada lgg folders in 32mm. They roll reasonably well and are still going strong from last winter.
    Single compound ones are pretty inexpensive from planet x.

huckersneck
    Free Member

I’ve been on 38c GravelKing slicks since ~August, run tubeless. Width on a 17mm ID rim is 39.5 on my cheapo digital verniers.

They feel really good to ride, are pretty light @ ~350g each and are reassuring in the way they grip, even in the wet. From this point of view I really like them.

However, the puncture resistance for me has been terrible. More than a puncture a month means that during ~1/10 rides I get a flat. Most of my rides are commutes from one side of Manchester to the other by going south of the airport on country lanes. I puncture as frequently in that setting as when I go directly across the city. All punctures seem to be of the size that should self heal but don’t. I keep the Stans fluid used topped up, always shake the bottle well etc. to ensure that the little plugging particles make their way in, but to no avail. It’s really frustrating, as I can’t rely on the tyres.

I’m going to give some Maxxis Re-Fuse 40c’s or Marathon Supreme 40c a try before going back to the ultra-reliable Marathon Plus I took off for this experiment. They’re heavy and draggy (extra training?), don’t feel as good or grip as well but it is becoming apparent to me that, for my location/routes/style at least, you either fit Plusses or better be prepared for flats. Gator Hardshells were good for me in the past at ~3 punctures/year but they’re not available in ‘big’.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have the 2bliss Roubaix Pro in 32mm for my roadie set up on my CX bike, they’re bloody brilliant.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Roubaix or gravel king slicks’ is closed to new replies.