Specialized Romin saddle

Home Forum Bike Forum Specialized Romin saddle

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Specialized Romin saddle
  • Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Go in to a specialized dealer, sit on an arsometer, and get the measurement right. Then poke the saddles with your boney finger and decide which you would prefer.

I had a Romin Expert in 143 width and never really got on with it.

I ended up going back to a narrower saddle (Fizik Arione) which I much prefer, probably the best I’ve used so far infact, I like the narrow nose.

Dunno about sit bone width much either, I dont really sit square on my sit bones, although I know others do.

cynic-al

what he said – what is your build?

no padding only works if the shape is perfect.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

I used a DIY arsometer so reasonably confident about the measurement. Just wanted to know if anyone could offer any info on the saddles that any intensive finger prodding might miss!

Local Spesh dealer is not a shop I’ve used much in the past so wouldn’t put much stock in anything they had to say about differences between the saddles, etc. Much prefer the opinion of strangers on the internet 🙂

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

I had my eye on these. Waited for a demo to come back into the shop, got bored waiting. Bought one (Romin Comp?), wrapped leccy tape round the rails, rode it for a while, hated it, took it back, they were happy to refund as it was unmarked and intact packaging. Spesh concept store.

Edit: getting on reasonably well with a SDG Bel Air on the commuter, Speash Phenom SL (usually with padded pants) liked WTB Rocket V.

Didn’t like Selle Italia flite gel flow, which I was hoping to like

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Decent Spesh dealerships will have a demo saddle. Try that, it’s a good starting point. Recommendations are utterly pointless.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

I ended up going back to a narrower saddle (Fizik Arione) which I much prefer, probably the best I’ve used so far infact, I like the narrow nose.

Had a couple of Fizik saddles on the road bike, got a Aliante VS on there at the moment. It’s OK, but I bought a turbo trainer recently which has highlighted a few issues with my bike-fit. After 90 mins the saddle was killing me! I think the Fiziks are just too narrow for me.

what he said – what is your build?

Short and stocky I suppose 🙂

wrapped leccy tape round the rails

Yeah, I’ll definitely be doing this, probably wrap the top in cling film as well as it’ll only be used indoors on the turbo at the moment. Don’t mind trying out as many saddles as possible to get it right!

Decent Spesh dealerships will have a demo saddle. Try that, it’s a good starting point. Recommendations are utterly pointless.

Haven’t got a decent one locally unfortunately. Not really after recommendations either, just wanted to know the difference between the types of Romin saddle. I will get one of them to test out. But which one?!

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

I’ve (attempted to) measure my arse bones and concluded that they’re quite widely spaced so I reckon I’ll give one of these saddles a go at 168mm width (the widest). Trouble is, which one? Pro, Evo Pro, Expert Gel & Evo Expert Gel seem to be the options.

Pro seem to have carbon rails, Evo seems to have a bit more padding plus the nose turns down a bit, Expert Gel obviously has a lot more padding.

Can anyone who’s got one or ideally ridden with multiple variations comment? What is the point of the drooping nose? Not convinced personally that loads of padding = comfort as my most comfy saddle is probably my Brooks which has bugger all padding. Want something a bit lighter for the roadie though.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Your shop might not be as kind as the guy behind the counter at mine.

I was surprised at a full refund, I was expecting a credit note.

Omar Little

I use a Romin Evo it has a narrower nose than the regular Romin (which for some people seems to rub their shorts)

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Your shop might not be as kind as the guy behind the counter at mine.

Yep, just spoken with local Spesh dealer – they would accept returns within 60 days for a Spesh-only credit note, but this is the manufacturer policy not the shop’s.

They didn’t do demo saddles nor did they have a big selection to buy either (didn’t have the one I wanted).

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

mail order?

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Yeah, I’ll have to do that I think. Doesn’t look like either Wiggle or CRC do Spesh saddles though for some reason. Maybe they had a falling out! Probably use Evans.

reggiegasket

the Evo is flatter than the std Romin, which is more curved.

The Evo has more padding too, by a little bit.

I run a 130mm std Pro and Expert. Just tried an Evo but didn’t prefer it.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

that’s great, thanks. Does the Expert have even more padding? Can’t work out what the difference is if not, other than it’s got Ti rather than carbon rails. How do you rate it compared to the standard Pro? What was it you didn’t like about the Evo, just not as comfy or was it the shape?

reggiegasket

AFAIK the difference between the Pro and the Expert is just the rails. I have a std Pro and std Expert and they are identical except for the rails.

Evo was more padded than the std by a little, based on the squish test in your hand, but on the bike it wasn’t obviously softer. The main thing was it was flatter than the std, which I didn’t prefer. You can really sit ‘in’ the std saddle whereas the Evo was more ‘on’ it….

The nose on the Evo is supposed to be …what narrower/more padded or something but I didn’t really notice that personally. The std nose isn’t a problem for me, and you don’t sit on the nose anyway… unless you are TTing or something. Maybe some people have close-together thighs?

Getting the right width is important though. I tried both the 143 and 130 and the latter was much better.

andiskin

I take it it’s for a road bike? I probably wouldn’t get one for the MTB, not enough padding and a little fragile.

I moved from the original Romin to the Evo for the extra padding. The original is just too hard in my opinion, the evo makes a big difference but it’s still firm!

I’ve got the pro (carbon) because I got a good deal on it but I don’t notice much difference between the carbon and the ti apart from a weight saving. Probably worth measuring the backside measured with the spesh thingy as I’m not sure the saddle size relates directly to sit bone gaps. But if you really are after a 168mm you’ll prob struggle to find it cheaper than here.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Controls&product=Romin%20Evo%20Pro%20Saddle%20-%20Black%202013

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Romin saddle’ is closed to new replies.