Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Specialized Power/other stub nosed saddles for ‘average’ road cyclist
  • 13thfloormonk

In the market for a new road saddle, replaced my Charge Spoon (too much pressure when forward on bars) with a Fizik Aliante, but I think I might have gone too wide, or the ridges along the edge of the cut-out are just in the wrong place, as I can’t get comfortable on it.

Considering a Selle Superflow, a Bontrager Montrose or a Spec Romin, but also trying to understand these new shorter saddles. Something about the shape interests me, it just ‘looks’ like it might be comfy.

They seem to be marketed for people who spend a lot of time in ‘aggressive’ positions, which doesn’t sound like me, I’m a hoods and tops sort of guy except for descents, plus my bars are probably only 20mm lower than the saddle.

BUUUUT, the power saddle *also* seems to get recommended for long distances, and some people only seem to define ‘aggressive’ position as being on the hoods with elbows level with top of bar, which in truth I do try to maintain for as long as my puny triceps allow.

Buying Specialized seems to be a no-brainer as I can at least swap between the range.

Anyone run one of these saddles?

leeerm
    Free Member

I tried a Power and didn’t get on with it. Tried an Arc and it’s spot on. It’s now my go to roadie/drop bar bike saddle.

13thfloormonk

Ah yes, the Power Arc did sound more appropriate than the normal Power.

What saddle did you move from?

dudeofdoom

I’ve a Romin and I’ really like it but i also ride spec Toupe’s as well which my bottom seems to like.

I prefer the Specs to the the Charges/Brookes but I’d probably try a Toupe thou and go from there.

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I’ll start off trying whatever the shop has in stock (a Romin Pro I think) and they also have the Power and I think the Toupe in their system, if not on display.

Just need to be absolutely sure you’re allowed to ride the saddles properly and still be eligible for the Specialized comfort guarantee…

cynic-al
    Free Member

the Specialized comfort guarantee

FYI: IIRC this gets you another new/different saddle, not a refund?

Oh and Cambium 🙂

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I always used Spoons on the MTB but didn’t get on with it on a road bike. Changed to a cheapo Specialized Henge and that’s been great.

steezysix
    Free Member

Thinking of replacing my Toupe with a Power so I can use my aero bars a bit more comfortably. What’s the difference between the Power and the Arc? Spesh website doesn’t really say and they look like a similar profile…

13thfloormonk

The Arc has slightly more of a ‘wave’ to the side on profile, more like a Spoon/Romin/Aliante.

The standard Power is flatter.

isoo
    Free Member

I’ve had a Power for about 18 months now and it’s the best saddle I’ve had. It seems to me that the ‘for aggressive positions’ -thing is relative. Basically it allows me to ride with my pelvis rotated further forward without causing pressure in sensitive bits. Which is great for inflexible people like me, or in the tail part of a longer ride where my core is too tired to keep me in good position anymore.

steezysix
    Free Member

@13thfloormonk – Thanks for the info, I get on better with flat saddles like the Toupe and Henge so the standard Power sounds like it will work well!

13thfloormonk

Trying to avoid starting a new thread, still waiting for Evans to get stock of the Power Arc, the guy on the till at the time didn’t seem to know much about the Specialized Guarantee, and now I look for it I can’t find any details either!

Is it still a thing? I’ve never had any problem keeping saddles clean and taking back/swapping for another, but would rather not have to keep lying if I want to try two or three different saddles…

Sigmasports seem to be the only shop which explicitly refers to a 30 day guarantee but it’s in store only so can’t use them.

Ta

antigee

still waiting for Evans to get stock of the Power Arc, the guy on the till at the time didn’t seem to know much about the Specialized Guarantee, and now I look for it I can’t find any details either!

Is it still a thing?

living down under but round here only specialized branded shops as in solely specialized products franchise shops did the saddle fitting deal(s) – other shops that sold specialized products couldn’t offer this…at least that is how lbs that does a fair bit of specialized explained it to me

stevious

I’ve had one for a month or so. Haven’t done any huge rides on it, but it’s noticeably more comfy for me in normal riding position than the fizik it replaced. It feels much less comfy when I’m sitting straight upright riding no hands.

One thing that surprised me getting on my other bike is how much my thighs rub against the nose of the saddle. I’d never noticed it until I’d spent a bit of time without it and now it just feels weird.

Hope you manage to find one to try out!

rOcKeTdOg

after years of charge spoon use I’ve found a Bonty Montrose instantly comfy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Power/other stub nosed saddles for ‘average’ road cyclist’ is closed to new replies.