Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Specialized Pitch Sizing
  • Vinte
    Free Member

Right I'm after a new bike. I want something burly ish for rides in the Lake District. I can get a good deal on a Pitch Pro 2010. I was just wondering how they size up?. I haven’t had a chance to sit on one yet. I’m 5"10 (and a half to be precise).

Has anyone around my height got one? From what I can gather from searching online, I’m thinking medium. I’m going to try and sort out a test ride soon.

Cheers
    D

GW
    Free Member

a medium is too long for me, I'm 5'11" but like short bikes.

I'd try one first.

Vinte
    Free Member

Thanks GW, I hadn’t considered that the medium might be to long!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm 5'8" and to be honest I think my medium feels short. Well, it's certainly shorter than my 16in Inbred and it's the only bike I've EVER not put an inline seatpost on too! I also tried it with a shorter stem (50mm) and it was far too short for me.
    My Brother is an inch shorter then me and rides the same size Pitch too.

I think some people confuse the long wheelbase with a stretched riding position, personally……..

robgarrioch

6' with a large frame here, which I reckon is right on the verge of being too big / long. I've a long leg though, 34". I'd say you could probably go a size down from normal, but obviously try before you buy.

GW
    Free Member

it also depends how you're gonna use it.
    as a mincetastic XC bike a medium would feel fine, but I just can't ride like that, especially a burly long travel bike like a pitch. like I said, try first.

Vinte
    Free Member

Thanks robgarrioch, from what I've read I get the impression that the large would be to big so I guess its a case of seeing if the medium fits. I'm also quite long in the leg.

Vinte
    Free Member

GW I want to be able to pedal up the hills with reasonable efficiency and comfort and zoom back down them. Most of my riding tends to be very much up and down rocky stuff, I don't do much flat single track.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Large was too big for me at 6 foot, it felt like a barge

Vinte
    Free Member

Ok, its looking like medium, I'll try and sort a test ride out.

onewheeltoofew
    Free Member

I'm 5'8" and have a medium pitch and to be honest it feels shorter than my old heckler. When you actually compare the geometry, pitches are much the same as other bikes of this type, save perhaps the wheelbase is fractionally longer. As for riding it's great fun, nice and low slung and handled the downhills at innerleithen very well.

st

I'm a nadge under 6'1" and have a medium, truth be told it's a bit small for me for general riding although worked well enough. The large size does seem to take on gate-like proportions and I also wanted to be able to wind the fork out and drop the saddle for DH mince fun.

Mine's now a single ring 180mm forked mini DH bike and is brilliant. At your height and unless you like a long stretched XC race type position I'd go for a medium.

grumm
    Free Member

5'8 and on a medium here – I tried a small and found it a little too small for general riding. I mostly use mine for Lake District 'aggressive xc' 😉

Have used it for a bit of not-too-hardcore DH here and in the Alps though, and it was fine.

maggsy99
    Free Member

i`m 5ft 10ins and 32in leg my medium size pitch is spot on is really a awesome bike geometry is perfect…..

flamejob
    Free Member

I am exactly the same height…

I ordered a Medium, rode it up and down the pavement once then called another branch and bought their Small.

I have ridden it everywhere including racing it in one Megavalanche. It now serves as a freeride lite* bike for riding in Seirra Nevada and the mountains around Malaga.

It has a pair of TALAS 36s and full XT, plus one of those up'y downy seatpins from Pure Racing

A friend has a Medium Tracer and they are almost identical fit wise.

I love it.

sv

6ft tall and ride a medium, 50mm stem and a 900i seatpost – works for me!

Vinte
    Free Member

Great input guys. st nice bike, looks good in blue.

grumm
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I missed an excuse to post a pic 🙂

Finchie85
    Free Member

6' and have a large, find it pretty good for everything. Have used it in the Alps for a week of riding every day and felt fine everyday. I have long legs so even for a large i have the saddle fairly high. Its very manuverable. Love it!!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Funny how people prefer differing sizes … you really need to try one?

I'm about 5'11" and found the medium felt too small, or rather short, and the large felt better to me, but looking at it it is a big bike, 4" more wheelbase than my old heckler but the saddle to bars is the same!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

4" more wheelbase than my old heckler but the saddle to bars is the same!

This is what I was referring to in my post above! 🙂 They are long BIKES but the cockpit area is shorter than most XC bikes. It's all in the wheelbase – Slack head angle, long rear end…. 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

Yeah.. it's the wheelbase thing that got me. Mine is just suuuuch a fun bike when you hoon it.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I'm 5'11" and had a medium with a65mm stem, found it perfect for freemincelite but too short for full on XC daysout

GW
    Free Member

like most Spesh bikes, Pitches have short chainstays for a full sus.
    the shortness in cockpit you are all percieving when sat down should be irrelivent on a bike like a Pitch as you really shouldn't be sat down for anything fun/interesting.
    You can't have the best of both worlds, if you want a mini DH pinner that you can ride back up (but maybe not in the most efficient XC position)go for a pitch, if you want a long travel sit down and plow XC mincetank I'd look elsewhere (FSR?).

flamejob
    Free Member

I'm totally with GW on this one. I think everyone is stuck in the 90s as far as 'XC' sizing goes. I've done all the 7 Stanes, Welsh centres, full days exploring here in Spain and some big enduro events on mine. Seat up, rails back- Sorted.

sv

+1 with GW, they are great fun for the exciting downwards stuff and what bike is exciting to ride up!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the shortness in cockpit you are all percieving when sat down should be irrelivent on a bike like a Pitch as you really shouldn't be sat down for anything fun/interesting.

I do. 🙂

You can't have the best of both worlds, if you want a mini DH pinner that you can ride back up (but maybe not in the most efficient XC position)go for a pitch, if you want a long travel sit down and plow XC mincetank I'd look elsewhere (FSR?).

Oh yes, very true. It climbs 'OK' but that's to be expected.

Mine's now a 34.5lb beast – Double and bash, flat pedals, uppy-downy seatpost, coil Lyriks, High Rollers on beefier wheels, wider bars, Magura brakes.
    Hoon-Tastic! 🙂

Vinte
    Free Member

Ok, I've had a ride on one in medium and it felt about right, I've arranged a proper demo. Can't wait, I was surprised how agile it felt for a bike with so much travel.

grumm
    Free Member

Love the 'I'm more gnar than you because my bike is smaller' comments in this thread 😆

renton
    Free Member

Ive had two pitches in the last 3 months .

im 6 foot or maybe a smidge under.

i tried a medium to start with and found it too small.

yes they are long bikes but as pp said the head and seat angles give you quite a short cockpit.

if you want to jump and dh hill i would go for a medium but if you want to be able to do some longer rides on it then get the large.

fwiw me and a mate with an 08 enduro put or large bikes side by side and although the pitch was slightly longer it looked more like a medium bike size wise.

oh and as everyone else is posting piccies here are mine………

ive sold them both and bought a large 09 enduro sl .

cheers

steve

flamejob
    Free Member

Love the 'I'm more gnar than you because my bike is smaller' comments in this thread

I win, renton must be the most Jay- SCORE!

renton
    Free Member

:mrgreen: 8)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Pitch Sizing’ is closed to new replies.