Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Specialized Pitch owners. What fork to replace coil Pikes with?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

As above really. Original coil Pikes are getting tired and want to replace them. Any ideas on what air forks to replace them with. Probably looking at second hand stuff unless there are some bargains around? Cheers.

jonnyrockymountain

Revelations!!!!!

Simon

My Prophet came with 409 coil Pikes OK forks but very heavy. I replaced then with some 150mm Revelation dual airs with 15mm maxle, I like them.
    I think I’d be looking for Revs or Sektors, these are pretty cheap, http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSSEKDP/rockshox_sektor_rl_150mm_dual_position_120_150mm_coil_forks

gt900uk
    Free Member

Budget? I replaced my air pikes, on my pitch, with a 2nd hand set of Revelations Teams (dual air and black box motion control) for £200 and they have been fantastic. Buying new I would be tempted to go with the new pikes I think.

doom_mountain

I put Revs on mine as well, U-Turn Team model with the Blackbox damping.
    They’re ace, although I rarely use the U-Turn function.
    New Rev’s are cheap at Merlin Clicky

robdob
    Free Member

My brother put Lyrics on his which suit the back end nicely but it does make it a bit of a monster. I’d go for some nice coil 150mm forks when I replace my Pikes on my Pitch.
    Hard to see them ever getting “tired” though!

jamj1974

Dumb question, sorry. Are old Pikes stiffer than current Revelations…?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Coil lyriks with rc2dh damper and racing bros seals

dingabell
    Free Member

Sounds like revs are the replacement forks of choice then. £200 second hand would be about right budget wise. Does it change things going from 140mm to 150mm? Can’t really see it making a lot of difference? Also what is the black box function on the revs for?

grum
    Free Member

I went for 160mm 36 Vans. The bike feels amazing to ride DH but it is a bit of a beast. I still take it up big hills in the Lakes etc though.

32mm stanchions seem weedy and flexy to me now. The Pitch is a burly bike and suits big forks IMO

I reckon these would be ideal, but slightly over budget!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rockshox/2013-lyrik-rc2l-dual-position-air-20mm-maxle-mission-control-tapered-steerer-fork-ec043864?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=mkwid__pcrid_17321847296_kword__match__plid_

savage62
    Free Member

Lyriks on mine, makes a great freeride bike with some bigger forks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Revelations!!!!!

Nahh. Revs are too wussy for a Pitch. It’s a solid AM/lightFR/DH bike. And revs are out of their depth there.
    2 options really, both 160mm.
    Fox 36s, Float or preferably Vanilla
    RS Lyrik. Preferably coil U-Turn
    Either of those will make it the bike it always should have been

rob-jackson
    Free Member

munrobiker is selling some nearly new lyriks on here for cheap

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve had Sektors,Fox 32’s,36’s, Lyriks and now Rev rct3’s
    The Lyriks were best for pointing downhill but made the bike to overkill for 80% of the places I ride. (South Wales)
    Happy with the Revs as they are better/stiffer than fox 32’s

beb

Yes lyrics are a great match, had coil uturns on mine set at around 150mm. Imagine 36’swould do too. Ended up with bos devilles, best forks I’ve had the pleasure of running, better than the 2014 34’s I currently have on my new 650b wheeled bike, only reason I couldn’t keep the bos’s.

gt900uk
    Free Member

Nahh. Revs are too wussy for a Pitch. It’s a solid AM/lightFR/DH bike. And revs are out of their depth there.
    2 options really, both 160mm.
    Fox 36s, Float or preferably Vanilla
    RS Lyrik. Preferably coil U-Turn
    Either of those will make it the bike it always should have been

Have to say I disagree with this. If you want it beefy then by all means. I wanted to keep it a bit lighter. I have recently been down the Fort Bill DH track and the Revs were excellent. They certainly didn’t stop me going past some of the guys on the DH bikes.

Dingabell going 150 didn’t make any huge differences to the bikes handling.
    Blackbox is an improved version of the MoCo damper.

“Based on the original Motion Control damper, BlackBox Motion Control adds Dual Flow compression and rebound damping. Separate circuits for low- and high-speed compression, as well as beginning and ending stroke rebound, results in suspension that floats over both stutter bumps and root webs while maintaining big-hit performance. The titanium spring tube and carbon-fiber compression knob are just dead sexy. BlackBox Motion Control is compatible with PushLoc and PopLoc remotes.”

patriotpro
    Free Member

Depends what/how you ride but for £200 you could pick up a pair of NEW Sektor RLs and after upgiving them some hammer at most of Britain’s trail centres over the last 18 months on my very own Pitch, you could do worse for a lot more money.

But like I say it depends what/where you ride…

Ps adding 10mm makes the Pitch how it should have been from the off.

grum
    Free Member

I have recently been down the Fort Bill DH track and the Revs were excellent. They certainly didn’t stop me going past some of the guys on the DH bikes.

I’ve ridden my mate’s bike with Revs on it, and while they are a decent trail fork, for stuff like the Fort William DH my 36 Vans feel miles better. They just feel a lot stiffer and more confidence inspiring.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wanted to keep it a bit lighter

Then you’ve bought the wrong bike. That’s like putting Mini shocks on a Landrover. 🙂

gt900uk
    Free Member

I wasn’t disputing that a set of lyriks or likewise would feel more solid but the Revelations are a good match to the bike. Like I said the revelations didn’t leave me wanting but I’m sure a full on DH rig would be better.

As for the mini statement well poor analogy the revs prop the front of the bike up quite nicely. I’m not so sure the mini shocks would do the same in a landy 😉

dingabell
    Free Member

The bike will be used mainly for burlier stuff and uplift days so an increase in travel/weight wouldn’t be a problem then. Will have a look at the Sektor and Lyric now. Thanks for all the feedback.

I_Ache
    Free Member

IMHO 32mm forms leave the pitch somewhat underguned. I personally would go with some 35/6mm stanchions that had 160mm travel with travel adjust, it uturn or dpa. After having pikes and 36 floats on my pitch and pikes and Lyriks DPAs on my enduro the Lyriks are definatly the best of the bunch.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Can the Lyriks some are recommending be bought for the £200?

LoCo
    Free Member

New 2014 pike soloair RCT3, light, stiff and available in 150 or 160mm travel.

Simon

patriotpro – Member
    Can the Lyriks some are recommending be bought for the £200?

And that’s the thing. I would’ve loved to put 36 Floats on my bike but I didn’t have the budget so I went with Revs and they really are fine. It’s not my 32mm stanchions holding my riding back….

Underhill
    Free Member

150mm 36 Talas here on my Pitch, spot on. Wind them down for the climbs with Pro Pedal on the back, open everything out for descending.

Only downside might be getting a decent set for the money.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Loco Arnt the new pikes tapered steerer only? I don’t think pitches come south a tapered head tube.

Patriot I’m sure you could pick up some older Lyriks for around 250.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

patriot pro – i have had 2 sets off here for £200 – both as good as new

patriotpro
    Free Member

If air Lyriks can be sourced for £200 then i want some for my own Pitch. 8)

Op u fancy my Sektors? 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

Pretty pleased with my Sektors, they feel plusher than Pikes and don’t feel flexy at all.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Get searching, Lyriks are the nuts.

PJM1974
    Free Member

If I were in the market for an aggressive fork right now, it would be a Marzocchi 55CR – for £449 at Merlin you get compression damping, an air spring and a bombproof warranty too.

The Pitch is an aggressive frame that deserves an aggro fork to get the best out of it. Sektors are really only Pike-lite in terms of stiffness (I have three pairs of Pikes and a set of Revelations, which share the Sektor chassis), you might as well go the whole hog given that the Pitch is warrantied for 160mm forks.

FWIW, I swapped the Pikes on my Wool Fridge for Revelations and although I gained 10mm of travel, I lost an appreciable amount of front end confidence. I swapped again to Wotans which really brought the bike alive, so I can wholeheartedly recommend going for a bigger fork.

Northwind

jamj1974 – Member

Dumb question, sorry. Are old Pikes stiffer than current Revelations…?

Yes. Though, revs are not what I’d call flexy. But new Revs can be a lot better damped (even the cheapest ones have the upgraded rebound damper now I think?). Depends on you, and what you do with it really. Pitch is no one trick pony, and Revs could suit some builds really well.

My blackbox Revs have been used for uplifts and enduro racing, rattled down fort bill a few times, nae bother. my Lyriks are a fair bit better for that so if you’re always riding at the hard end of the spectrum then bigger forks, if it’s an allrounder or you don’t weigh too much, then maybe revs.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Pitch owners. What fork to replace coil Pikes with?’ is closed to new replies.