Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Specialized Kenevo. My (Inconclusive) thoughts
  • Rosss
    Free Member

Yesterday I got to spend a little time on a Specialized Kenevo on trails I know and the whole experience has left me more confused than before I rode one so I thought it might be worth sharing. A few disclaimers first though; this was the first E-Bike I’d ridden having not been hugely E-Bike curious at all and I certainly don’t consider myself to be a riding god.

The trails I got to ride the bike on were far too reserved for a bike with this much travel and certainly no test for the bike. That said, with the electric assist I was able to post a time up a regular climb that was 2 minutes quicker than any I’d done previously and got to the top without breaking a sweat. As a result I was in a far better state to attack the downs.

Coming back down, the bike took a few pedals to get going but when it did the speed was incredible. Going into turns and in the air the added weight makes it’s self known and the result was my I was actually quicker down on my Hightower. If I were to have one long term I expect I’d considerably change the spec to knock a chunk off the weight (Air rear shock, lighter tubeless wheels). Then I have no doubt at somewhere such as Cwmcarn or Bike Park Wales the bike would be perfect.

Which brings me to my conclusion, I had great fun and covered more ground than usual on terrain that doesn’t suit the bike at all. However I got off it feeling mixed, I felt no achievement for what I’d done at all. It didn’t seem to flow like riding a normal bike and something I can’t put my finger on was missing. It was, however, huge fun and nice for a change to be able to charge up a climb without breaking a sweat. The prospect of riding at a bike park without a lift does appeal massively.

I’ll hopefully be testing the bike on more demanding tracks soon but I’m interested to hear others views on E-Bikes. Am I thinking of it the wrong way and should I really just be throwing my leg over the bike and having a laugh?

rOcKeTdOg

Lightening an ebike isn’t the best idea, those wheels are overbuilt for a reason. All that extra weight soon takes it’s toll on the components

timbog160

Interested to hear how you get on.  I have to say I really like the look of the Kenevo and I think this is where emtbs could really come into their own – I suspect to get the best out of it though you really need to use it in terrain it is designed for…

nwmlarge
    Free Member

They are like a holiday romance.

I have ridden them 3 times now and I find they are lots of fun but I couldn’t own one.

The battery tech is still in its infancy.

Once they have slim, light weight batteries that don’t cost the earth i’ll be interested.

geex
    Free Member

I expect I’d considerably change the spec to knock a chunk off the weight (Air rear shock, lighter tubeless wheels).

FWIW I am an overweight Coke Zero drinking E-bike owner

neilbarnsley

Interesting take, I am facing the same conundrum. I have a Demo and a Bronson and am reasonably sanguine to EMTB’s.

My curiosity is to make Bronson with a motor (Focus Sam2) or blend the lovechild of the Demo and Bronson and take the Kevevo.

First World problem to have.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Im just flogging an fsr levo to get a kenevo

The best thing about them is the weight .I found its a hell of a lot of fun going down with the added mass and 2.5 tyres rather than those fat bloody things. In fact its a smile inducing giggle on anything rocky and rutted like cut gate where i do most of my riding. Wharncliffe not so much

The motor just helps you haul it up the hill or if your into pain gain ride a 40lb bike for a while

Tracey

We tried the Kenevo and the Levo back to back in Finale and came to the conclusion that we would be over biked with the Kenevo for most of what it was used for in the UK. Bought a Turbo Levo Expert when they were been sold off last year. It’s so much fun in a cheating sort of way. All the family ride it. Gets used in the Peak and Wharncliffe most of the time as well as taking the dog out on a night.

Still not sure on the 3.0 tyres but have some 650b + 2.8 Butchers in the garage to try. We also have a couple of sets of 29er Rovals in the garage. Alloy and Carbon and am contemplating fitting some 29 x 2.6 Butchers for the summer just to see what it handles right

There are still some Turbo Levo Experts for sale at the silly prices. 34% off. Even thought about getting another to stop the squabbling.

bennyb
    Free Member

I have a levo expert with a Ohlins coil fitted , absoluty love it. The more you get used to riding it the faster you’ll go. The extra speed in places might take a little getting used to. Round trail centres they are head and shoulders better , but anywhere steep and rocky (Peak/ambergate) I find it a little harder to pop and skim across the tops etc, but the flip side is the climbs aren’t a killer and you’ll probably start adding extra little loops into your regular ride just because you can. Sticking with aSpecialized would be a safe bet levo/kenevo, as they won’t change the frame, but the battery size (watt) will get better, and you should be able to fit a newer bigger battery into whatever model you own. The biggest issue you’ll have is having anyone to ride with!! You need to get your mates to all get on board!! Haha

singlespeedstu

There are still some Turbo Levo Experts for sale at the silly prices. 34% off.

Any links to these please?

GeForceJunky

Rutland cycles have the 2017 for £3750

Tracey

Rutland cycles and a further £150 off this weekend. Medium and large left

singlespeedstu

Ta

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Kenevo. My (Inconclusive) thoughts’ is closed to new replies.