Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • Specialized frame Guarantee Fiasco, SHAME on you Specialized
  • njee20
    Free Member

5 year old stumpy worth £900 ???? I dont think so?

How do you know? unless I’m missing something it could be a carbon one, with a full XTR groupset and Enve wheels…?

OP – suck it up, good offer. If you like the bike id buy the chainset – £40/year to keep your bike going. As someone said earlier, we spend loads on tyres and things, but begrudge spending it on frame parts.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

From the first post

Ah yes but we are now selling 2015 bikes so to us it is sort of six years old.

Did this actually happen?

weeksy

Did this actually happen?

It didn’t have to happen as his bike was already in it’s 6th year.

Personally it astounds me any MTB last 6 years without breaking or being sold… I’ve not had one for more than a year yet LOL

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sounds a prett good offer to me.

It’s outside of warranty, Spesh are well within their rights to shrug their shoulders and say tough. It doesn’t matter whether iras a day over five years or a year, it’s outside if the warranty. Had it been within the warranty period, I could see the issue but it’s not. They’re still trying to help you out.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It didn’t have to happen as his bike was already in it’s 6th year.

Precisely.

But was it Spesh being pissy, or was someone not being quite as open and honest as they maybe should have been when laying out their case.

Spesh come out of this with their integrity intact; the OP not so much.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I am not a massive fan of Spesh but the OP has done the typical punter thing and spat his dummy whilst massaging the facts to suit his rant.
    I love the fact that all his timings are suitably vague enough to fit his version of events.
    £200 for a rear triangle, that he has already proven will last 5 years, seems a good deal to me.
    I’ll keep an eye on the classified for a “late” actually mid 2009 Spesh with a brand new rear triangle priced at £1100. That being the OP’s valuation plus the £200 for the the “rip off” replacement.
    Good luck with that.

renton
    Free Member

Njee I’ve had a few stumpjumpers in my time. Some a lot newer than the op. I’ve sold them and struggled to get over 900 for them.

wrecker
    Free Member

You’ll save more than that 20%, and get to keep your bike AND get a better bike if you go and buy a Canyon.

honourablegeorge

amplebrew – Member

You were right when you said some were less than 5 years. Trek only warranty the swing arms on aluminium Session, Scratch, Slash and Ticket model frames and swing arms for 3 years and 2 years on the carbon Session frames and swing arms.

There was a point where Remedy swingarms were one year only – after a spate of broken ones too – I was interested in one myself, but having seen a few broken ones, and discovering that the warranty had been changed, it put me right off Trek. (I bought a Lapierre… who had been through a similar spate of breakages, but had repsonded by upping their warranty to 5 years)

What’s there now isn’t perfect, but it;s a lot better.

ninfan
    Free Member

To be fair to the OP – to publicise a ‘lifetime’ warranty on the frame then say that chain and seat stays are essentially suspension components does seem a bit unreasonable – if it was a hardtail or road frame and they said the lifetime frame warranty only covered the front triangle you would be incredulous.

Scamper
    Free Member

Sorry, only skimmed the thread, what colour is your bike? My white 09 Stumpy cracked at the chainstay after 3 years, but even back then (with no prior comms) I ended up with matt black chainstays. At least this included pivot bearings at no extra cost

AlexSimon

wrecker – Member

You’ll save more than that 20%, and get to keep your bike AND get a better bike if you go and buy a Canyon.
    I can see the warranty thread now – “Canyon said I have to send it back to Germany! They’ll replace the whole bike, but the return shipping quotes are £70 and they wont pay it!”

To be honest, I think this thread is a bit harsh on the OP. It all started when he thought he was riding on a bike with a lifetime warranty without realising the limitations.

His expectations were too high. The LBS should have known this and managed his expectations before contacting Specialized. I’m guessing the model year thing came about because at that point they didn’t have an exact date of purchase, so were going on the fact it was a 2009 bike and it’s now 2014. Just a guess.

He’s still going to have to pick one of the 2 options though 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

If its just a crack I’d look at getting it welded up (assuming it is aluminium).

nealglover
    Free Member

….if it was a hardtail or road frame and they said the lifetime frame warranty only covered the front triangle you would be incredulous.

Obviously, but that’s because you can replace the rear triangle with a few hand tools on a hard tail.

It’s a different product, with a different warranty.

ninfan
    Free Member

yeah, but would you honestly call chainstays part of the frame or not?

I certianly wouldn’t bracket them under ‘SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS AND SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT’

its like saying that the lever isn’t part of the brake!

nealglover
    Free Member

yeah, but would you honestly call chainstays part of the frame or not?

Not in terms of a warranty no 😉

And to be fair, people do refer to it as “the swing arm” or whatever, not “the frame”

It’s all irrelevant anyway, it’s a pretty generous warranty in the first place, but it’s expired.

taxi25
    Free Member

On a motorbike nobody ever consider’s the swinging arm to be part of the “frame” can’t see why it should be different on a MTB.

AlexSimon

Except at time of purchase, it’s pretty much always described as a ‘Frame’.

For example if you were buying ‘Frame-only’ what would you expect to receive? How about ‘Frame and shock’?
    You never see it described as Frame, Shock and Swingarm. Except that they’ve decided they can get away with at warranty.

Personally, I don’t think should be able to say that it has a lifetime warranty without saying in the same sentence what it covers and what it doesn’t.

traildog
    Free Member

As others have said, I really don’t think you will get 900quid on a 5 year old Specalized bike even if it was in good condition (which it isn’t).
    Secondhand mountain bikes are not work huge amounts of value.

atlaz
    Free Member

If you want to get a genuine lifetime warranty, I’d recommend reading the bloody document before putting your money down. Just over 5 years after the fact is too late.

From this thread, Spec come out as people I’d buy from, the economical with the truth and with a limited grasp of reality OP, somewhat less impressed by.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personally, I don’t think should be able to say that it has a lifetime warranty without saying in the same sentence what it covers and what it doesn’t.

Back in 04 when I got mine it listed Lifetime as 5 Years, fairly standard. In this case the OP had a bike that was over 5 years old so it didn’t matter if the warranty was shorter on any part as it had all expired. It’s listed fairly well in the owners handbook.

murf
    Free Member

*Off to check for cracks on my ’08 Stumpjumper chain stays…*

murf
    Free Member

Out of interest, where are they prone to cracking?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Compared to a company like Ellsworth even the warranty you have is amazing. Still a bit shitty claiming stays aren’t frame parts though but what can you do.

nealglover
    Free Member

Still a bit shitty claiming stays aren’t frame parts though

That’s the thing though, they aren’t “claiming” that the stays aren’t frame parts.

They are “telling you that they aren’t. It’s not something that’s up for debate.
    And they tell you this in the warranty they give you right at the start.

Or you can read the details before you buy if you like obviously.

grum
    Free Member

Er…. they do tell you this very clearly in the docs you get with the bike. If ‘the internet’ calls it a lifetime warranty without any caveats I don’t think that’s really their fault.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Njee I’ve had a few stumpjumpers in my time. Some a lot newer than the op. I’ve sold them and struggled to get over 900 for them.

and presumably haven’t had a broken swingarm either when you’ve sold them? 😛

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup it’s all in the booklet which we all read when we buy a new bike I’m sure. 🙄

grum
    Free Member

I must be weird – I did read mine.

ninfan
    Free Member

Specialized warrants to the original owner of this bicycle that this Specialized bicycle’s frame or frameset when new is free of defective materials and workmanship. The lifetime limited warranty is conditioned upon the bicycle being operated under normal conditions and use, and properly maintained. This limited warranty does not apply to paint/finish or components attached to the bicycle frame/frameset such as front forks (unless Specialized branded non-suspension forks forming part of the frameset), wheels, drivetrain, brakes, seatpost, handlebar and stem or any suspension related parts or components.

nealglover
    Free Member

Yup it’s all in the booklet which we all read when we buy a new bike I’m sure.

Thats a brilliant argument, and also a great way to get someone to give you a free bike when yours breaks outside the warranty.

“You obviously owe me a free bike because you cunningly hid the terms of the warranty in a booklet called “Warranty Terms” which I couldn’t be bothered to read”

joolsburger
    Free Member

See you could put forward that the headtube is a suspension part as it holds the forks, seems like the warranty wording basically says we’ll honour if we want, what are normal conditions for example? I see your point but still think it’s a cop out on their part.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ninfan, which year and model are you quoting?

njee20
    Free Member

Are you denying then that you’d likely get £900 for an immaculate 5 year old one, with full XTR and Enve wheels?

This one is a year older, alu frame (do we know what the OP’s is?) but sold for £850, with a very modest spec.

Not saying the OPs is necessarily worth £900 (crack notwithstanding!), but you can’t say with any conviction that it definitively isn’t when you don’t know anything about it…

nealglover
    Free Member

See you could put forward that the headtube is a suspension part as it holds the forks

You could yes.

But then you would read the warranty, and realise that you were wrong 😉

andyl
    Free Member

On the 20% thing what if you had a bottom of the range £300-400 hard tail that broke and they offered you 20% off a new bike and you were thinking of a £3500 full susser? You’d be laughing then!

They have to set out a structure to account for all scenarios. They don’t have to but they sell of a lot of >£2k bikes to people who just want to a buy a bike that works and go out and ride it. Giving 20% discount helps retain those kinds of customers and is a pretty good policy imo.

The £200 swing arm offer is also a good one. Lucky they actually have some in stock.

The text above is odd though as they describe it as a ‘frameset’ which to me would be main triangle, shock and swing arm as that is normally a frame set. For definition I guess you would have to see what they sell as a ‘frame set’. But you should also check the book/warranty that came with your exact bike as not all will be the same.

PS headtube is obviously not part of the suspension. It is a static mounting point for the suspension. The headset is part of the steering system. The fork is the suspension. Bars, stem etc are attached parts and so on.

crazy-legs

Semantics and pedantics notwithstanding, Specialized have given you a deal that, by the letter of their warranty, they actually don’t have to at all.

You broke a bit of your bike, it’s outside of warranty but they’re still going to sort you out a deal. That’s not a fiasco, that’s good customer service!

leth
    Free Member

I’d take the 20% discount on a new bike.

I’d also speak to Specialized first and ask very nicely if I could just send the frame back not the complete bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d also speak to Specialized first and ask very nicely if I could just send the frame back not the complete bike.

That does seem odd, you could argue that as everythign else was out of warrenty that it had all broken and been replaced/upgraded.

leth
    Free Member

That would be my argument.

They may ask for the rear shock to be returned with the frame but they may not.
    It’s worth asking them.

I can’t see them arguing with regards to forks, wheels etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Specialized frame Guarantee Fiasco, SHAME on you Specialized’ is closed to new replies.