Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • specialized eskar/purgatory tires…. any good??
  • renton
    Free Member

been looking around at some tyres to replace the hutchinson things that are on my bike(octupos 2.5 @ 1.4 kgs each!!!)

seen these around and have read some mixed reviews on them.

dos anyone run them on there bikes ,if so what are your opinions on them ??

There is meant to be a newer version of the eskar tyre to replace the older one?, is this right

more interested in the 2bliss version to be honest but all opinions welcome!!

cheers

steve

renton
    Free Member

anyone?????????

Swayndo
    Free Member

Renton I thought of trying an Eskar F/Purgatory R combo about a month ago until I came to my senses and bought some more Maxxis tyres. It should be a good enough combo, but probably not enough bite for the season!

grumm
    Free Member

2.35 eskars came with my Pitch and I hated them – tried one again on the back recently and it was ok. Would still prefer Maxxis or something grippier for the front though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Conversely, I think the Eskars on my Pitch are one of the best tyres I've ever used. Tough enough for the Alps, light enough for the UK, plenty grip, roll well, very nice. The onlt thing they don't like is mud, but that's to be expected.
    🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Think it was mainly a ride round Whinlatter in the wet which put me off – which is fairly slippy anyway. Def better with a SuperTacky High Roller on the front though.

Tough enough for the Alps

Hmm – very few people with single-ply tyres in Alpe D'Huez.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, they did me fine for 3 days round Morzine 🙂
    I had some 2.5 Super Tacky Double Ply High Rollers on for 2 days before that, which were superb, but impossible to pedal anywhere with!

For sure, Whinlatter is VERY slippy. I had them on when I went there too, and it was sketchy as hell, but that's not the tyres!

grumm
    Free Member

Well, they did me fine for 3 days mincing round Morzine slowly dragging my brakes like a little girl

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

grumm – Member
    2.35 eskars came with my Pitch and I hated them – tried one again on the back recently and it was ok

Agreed. I had Eskars on my Enduro and hated them. Weak sidewalls as well, IMO.

Contis for me now. Lovely!

renton
    Free Member

which contis captain????

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL @ Grumm.

😀

atlaz
    Free Member

Eskars on the front? Only if you like a tyre that decides what line it wants to take rather than you deciding it. Fine on the back, shitty on the front. I swapped my front for an Advent and all is good.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Ran an eskar front purgatory rear round the grizedale challenge last sunday, they seemed fine. Have also been using a purgatory on the rear of another bike for a few months, was easy to inflate on a stans rim, has been good so far.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Eskars on the front? Only if you like a tyre that decides what line it wants to take rather than you deciding it.

EH?
    😕

crazy-legs

Eskars are ace – comes up quite big, very predictable, good grip in most conditions – they certainly work very well in the Peaks.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I have Eskers and run them tubless and I think they're great. They grip nicely at the front and are not too big or small. Cheap as chips too!

renton
    Free Member

cheep from where geordiepaul???

atlaz
    Free Member

EH?

I found them really vague on loose surfaces. Anything sandy or loamy and I had no clue what the front was going to do, a problem I didn't have with my Kendas or my Panaracers. When I was at the LBS for something else, the guys there all had the same problem so I decided it wasn't just me and put the front in the shed for when the rear wears out.

IamSam
    Free Member

I have been using purgatory's front and back for the last six months on my zesty riding mostly in the lakes and really like them, but i do have a fairly limited knowledge of tyres.
    There are a lot of the guys I ride with using them and they all have nothing but good things to say about them they are great for the lakes and you can get front and back for just over £40. Buy some and give them a go if you don't like them its not a massive hit financially and I would buy them off you for when mine wear out.

renton
    Free Member

Iamsam,
    what size have yu got and how big do they come up??

are they fast rolling or a bit draggy??

cheers

steve

IamSam
    Free Member

Hi Steve,

I've got 2.20's and have just measured them and they seem spot on, they have a nice round profile so are as deep as they are wide

They don't drag much at all as they have harder center knobs I think

hope this is of some use to you

Sam

renton
    Free Member

cheers sam!

renton
    Free Member

just measured the 2.5things on my bike and they are coming in at 2.7 wide!!!!

amphibian
    Free Member

They came on my Enduro SL and I hated them. Since then, I've stuck one on the front wheel of my XC bike (because I'm a cheapskate) and it's been pretty good through the 'summer'.
    Pros – Light and fairly grippy in non-muddy conditions
    Cons – Useless in mud and weak sidewalls.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

http://freeborn.co.uk/shop/components/tyres/646-specialized-eskar-control-2bliss-pair

Evans have them for 22.99 each if you have one local, CTC discount if your a member too, although they pretty good if your a known customer and give it anyway. £20 a tyre isn't bad these days.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘specialized eskar/purgatory tires…. any good??’ is closed to new replies.