• This topic has 33 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by argee.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Specialized Enduro – Tracey to the forum!
  • beer247
    Free Member

I’m on the look out for a new bike as i’ve sold my Stumpjumper Evo Pro.

I noticed that IBKBIKE have the Enduro Comp in stock (S5) and are offering a 10% discount.

Coming from a 150/140mm bike I’m wondering if this is too much bike travel wise – the Geo is similar to the Stumpjumper, apart from the increase in reach (i’m 6ft 2 and the SJ was too small)

Based in Dublin and generally ride off-piste stuff at Ticknock, uplift at the GAP and the DH stuff at Djouce/Devils Glenn/Carrick.

Still need it to be able to pedal uphill though for all-day epics!

Also the NX spec and base level fork/shock are putting me off a bit, compared to say a Commencal Meta at the same price.

Any other ideas, budget up to 5k and must be available in Europe (don’t want to pay the import duty, VAT etc if i order from the UK!).

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not tried the new ones, but had a 2018 model. Rode quite well downhill ( and short ups) but was too much bike for long rides (50km+)

Also it went through rear shocks at a 4:1 ratio compared to freewheels/ chains. Actually, 4:0 ratio.

When the fourth one broke after less than 100km I demanded an Ohlins from Spec and the flogged the bike.

Shame really, as it rode quite well.

chiefgrooveguru

“ Not tried the new ones, but had a 2018 model.”

It’s got the same name and you buy it from the same shops – and I think that’s the entire list of similarities completed: travel, geometry, suspension design, suspension behaviour, all changed.

mark88

Some discussion and thoughts in this thread.

For winch and plummet type riding, I’d say it’s great. S5 will be a big old bike, I’m your size and S4 felt right to me. But if you’re familiar with Spec sizing you’re well placed to make a judgement there.

For similar type bike but better spec can you get hold of a Nukeproof Giga (170mm) or Mega (160mm)?

I opted for Propain Tyee, but with continual delays and import fees (I wrongly thought the Brexit trade deal would mean I’d be safe), I regret not going for a Mega 29.

oikeith

I’m 6’1 with a S5 Enduro and love the size of the bike, I have had no real issues with the NX drivetrain other then the chain, it doesnt have the anti rust stuff so got some surface rust from riding on gritted roads or being on the bike rack, it also got to 0.5 in just over 200 miles, replaced with an X01 chain which is anti rust and should last a lot longer.

I have really liked the Rockshox SuperDeluxe on the back, have had no issues with it, I came from riding a coil on a diff bike and the air feels good. Not sure on the fork as mine came with the select+ fork not the select.

The bike is more than capable of all day epics IMO, it pedals well and you dont notice the weight.

Tracey

Not sure which Stumpjumper Evo you had to hard to comment on what would be better.

Due to the amount of riders in the family I get the chance to ride the others as well as mine so have had/have Stumpjumpers available to ride along with the different Enduros and Levos we have.

I got my last Enduro last summer after my daughter came back from a month in the Alps raving at how good here new Expert was in comparison to her previous S Works one which she had passed down to me.

I managed to find a Comp at a highly discounted price, and got most of the stuff I didn’t want on it swapped out from the pass down and then sold it on.

I don’t have a problem riding it all day and compared to the Stumpjumper we have it climbs as well but is far better on the DH.

Most of my local riding is in the Peak at the moment and I tend to alternate between the Enduro and the Turbo Levo.

My daughter tends to ride hers all the time, apart from when she’s on the jump bike.

I would have liked to have a go on the new Evo but cant find one available in an S3 to compare.

Never had a problem with a rear shock on the Enduros, we do have spares just in case but never had to use them.

My concern when buying was that it was longer than the older model but to be fair I haven’t noticed it yet. The shock area does tend to gather sludge compared to previous ones.

beer247
    Free Member

Not sure which Stumpjumper Evo you had to hard to comment on what would be better.

I had the 2019 Stumpjumper Evo Pro Carbon, S3 – i actually swapped the Fox DHX2 coil out for a Ohlins TTX air which lightened it up some what.

Main issue was the short headtube, I had to jack the front end up with spacers to get the bars at the right height, which reduced the reach to about 470mm.

The low BB was also a problem, the Enduro BB seems quite high in comparison?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Deleted

Tracey

Only had a quick blast on the 2019 Evo and it didn’t feel right to me, couldn’t put my finger onto why but it didn’t seem to pedal well at all. It was slower than the 2018 Enduro we we looking to replace going up hill and no faster downhill. It didn’t put the grin on my face I expected it to.

gallowayboy

My son has the 2020 comp, S4. He’s 6’2″, its a big bike.
    He rides 5/6 days a week, Tweed Valley. Based on his experience, it gets him up hills fine, climbs well; On the downs its a bit of a monster truck, rolls and cruises over rough, steep stuff, turns niftily enough, may not be as poppy as other bikes in its class.
    He’s changed the back wheel for something tougher, got a more durable shimano drivetrain instead of the NX stuff and put zees on instead of the sram brakes – he prefers the feel of shimano brakes. You’d probably want different tyres on it too.
    After one year, its eaten a rear shock which has worn unevenly (he should have kept a better eye on it), and its into its second set of bearings – which given the use it gets would seem OK. His mates Orbea,s, Birds and Nukeproofs are far hungrier on bearings/bushings.
    Id say its an expensive bike for the spec, we got it for cost, wouldn’t have considered 10% enough of an incentive.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

For winch and plummet type riding, I’d say it’s great. S5 will be a big old bike, I’m your size and S4 felt right to me. But if you’re familiar with Spec sizing you’re well placed to make a judgement there.

I commented in the other thread on this. At 188cm, so pretty much the same height as you I found the S4 on the limit of what I was happy with, possibly even a touch too big. I would say you should try one before you buy, as it’s very personal – there is no way I would want an S5 size.

I’m not one to gush about bikes so can be a bit brutal on my thoughts, I found the Enduro would probably be a great race bike (if I could have raced last year) but that’s about it. It goes fast, really fast, not so much so on tight, nadgery stuff, but open rough stuff, it’s great.

However, as an all rounder? No thanks. It ate bearings, it creaked a lot & the whole linkage design was not UK friendly, it also wasn’t much fun to ride on more mellow stuff, or general dicking about in the woods & absolutely didn’t climb as well as a shorter travel bike (nor would I expect it to). I would say the new Stumpy Evo is a better bike everywhere, other than maybe hitting a rough section of trail at flat out race pace. If you gave me the choice between the two, I wouldn’t switch back.

They also supposedly still seem to have a bit of an “eaty shock issue”, although not as bad as the last model Enduro.

beer247
    Free Member

Interesting he’s on an S4 at 6ft 2.

The ETT does seem long on the S5 though, prob due to the 76deg seat angle.

I’d be putting a 40mm stem on anyway and also the carbon wheels/WTB tyres from my Stumpjumper.

Also prob swap the NX shifter/cassette out for GX that I’ve got knocking about

zerocool

Not criticising your use of spacers, but I’ve always wondered if there is a reason that tall people don’t use higher rise bars? Surely that wouldn’t effect the reach as it wouldn’t bring the bars further backwards. Is it the look or being a tight arse and using existing bars? (I use a few spacers but then I’m only 5’11 and fiddle around with higher and lower bar height all the time, that and they’re old bars and I’m a cheapskate).

As I said, not a dig, just always wondered as I’m tempted buy some higher bars when I replace my trusted Fatbars.

Tom Kp

Tracey

Glad its not just me that swaps stuff out.😉

onewilddiesel
    Free Member

came from a medium 2018 enduro elite to a frame build s3 2020 sworks, same wheels, brakes & drivetrain, updated fox 36 forks, (im 5ft 5 ish)

its a much longer bike than my medium 2018 enduro & is 100% a more capable beast, it definetly lets you away with much more & as friends have comented it allows some questionable line choices, ive riden it in the tweed valley where it climbs better than the old X wing model & is considerable quicker on the downs,

personally 10/10 would recomend, tried to get the wife onto a 2020 expert but couldnt get the figures to work

beer247
    Free Member

Not criticising your use of spacers, but I’ve always wondered if there is a reason that tall people don’t use higher rise bars? Surely that wouldn’t effect the reach as it wouldn’t bring the bars further backwards. Is it the look or being a tight arse and using existing bars? (I use a few spacers but then I’m only 5’11 and fiddle around with higher and lower bar height all the time, that and they’re old bars and I’m a cheapskate).

As I said, not a dig, just always wondered as I’m tempted buy some higher bars when I replace my trusted Fatbars.

I was running a Burgtec 38mm rise bar with 20mm spacers underneath the stem!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

They also supposedly still seem to have a bit of an “eaty shock issue”, although not as bad as the last model Enduro.

Absolutely shocked to hear that. Can’t believe they haven’t sorted that out. Unbelievable.

chiefgrooveguru

“Not criticising your use of spacers, but I’ve always wondered if there is a reason that tall people don’t use higher rise bars? Surely that wouldn’t effect the reach as it wouldn’t bring the bars further backwards.”

If you use higher rise bars with the rise vertical then it’s like using a longer stem in terms of how it changes the steering feel. So you’d get the same result from more spacers, a longer stem and a lower rise bar.

Whatever your reach and stack combination, you’re stuck with it, so if you have to add stack height then you will lose out on reach.

muggomagic

The new Al Pro YT Capra looks great VFM if you are in the EU. I had a 2018 capra which is pretty much the same frame as the current one and it was a great winch and plummet type bike, even did some pretty long xc type rides on it and while it was slower than something more appropriate, it was such a comfortable seated position you could just sit and spin it up pretty much anything.

chakaping
    Free Member

Enduro looks a great bike, but I’d also consider the NP Giga if you can get it at UK rather than EU price, being in ROI?

Would the Propain Spindrift or Radon Swoop 29 appeal? I have the Swoop AL and it’s a fine bike – but not an all-rounder. Not sure any 170/180mm sled will be really?

Perhaps you could get two better VFM bikes for about the price of the Enduro?

Saccades
    Free Member

Ignore – I read it wrong and thought you were asking about the stump jumper.

hopefiendboy

@thegeneralist it’s a shame you didn’t keep it after they upgraded your shock to the Ohlins coil. I’ve got the 2018 Enduro Elite Carbon and had the rear shock replaced after 2 failures of the original Rockshox Monarch. I have had a special bearing installed to cut down on the rotational forces. I’m happy with the bike. With the coil shocks front and rear it’s a bit of a beast but it climbs well and is more capable than my riding skills. Handles Tweed gnar well and has got me over some interesting features just fine. Pedals well and I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one as long as it came with the Ohlins coil shock. Every time I get on it I appreciate how good bikes are these days…a 160/170 coil spring bike I can pedal on virtually all terrains? Just superb. Could use it all day but you’re not going to be fast.

chainbreaker
    Free Member

A minor point, but it does depend on your riding conditions. The enduro has 20 frame bearings – all at the bottom of the frame in the firing line from the mud!

I’d imagine they’d chew through bearings if you ride in muddy conditions and it’ll be a bit expensive to do just due to the quantity – way more than your typical 4-bar system etc.

hopefiendboy

About 50 quid and once a year depending on usage. Only 12 bearings too from memory. If you use a small mudguard it pretty much takes care of the bearings in the line of fire from the tyre. Compared with a Whyte it’s a dream! 😃

chainbreaker
    Free Member

Only 12 bearings too from memory

Nope, its 20 if you look in the manual online for the 2020 onwards model. I was surprised when I found that out as well!

Compared with a Whyte it’s a dream!

I have had a whyte for a few years now and the bearing design on these are really well sealed. Plus whyte give you a lifetime warranty on bearings so it doesn’t really matter if they wear anyway.

hopefiendboy

Ah yes the 2 bearings are for the older model that I have. 20 bearings huh, wow-ee. Well, I’m sure with a mudguard you could look after them and make it last but 20 would be a bit of a worry in Scottish weather.

Whyte- well, after owning a G160 that ate bearings every 3 months i got sick of the free bearings thing wasting weeks of the bike needing the bearings ordered and replaced by the dealer. Another friend had similar bikes in his fleet and suffered with this too. Perhaps the newer ones have improved- I hope to goodness they have.

oikeith

Interesting he’s on an S4 at 6ft 2.

The ETT does seem long on the S5 though, prob due to the 76deg seat angle.

I’d be putting a 40mm stem on anyway and also the carbon wheels/WTB tyres from my Stumpjumper.

Goes to show the extent of personal preference as I’m 186cm (6’1) and love the S5 size, I came from a large 2018 so a jump of 49mm in the reach and I wouldnt go back down in size on any future bikes!

It goes fast, really fast, not so much so on tight, nadgery stuff, but open rough stuff, it’s great.

However, as an all rounder? No thanks. It ate bearings, it creaked a lot & the whole linkage design was not UK friendly, it also wasn’t much fun to ride on more mellow stuff, or general dicking about in the woods & absolutely didn’t climb as well as a shorter travel bike (nor would I expect it to)

Again more preference IMO, I did a ride this week at the local trail centre which is pretty mellow and has some tight off piste in the trees and the bike ate it up, I think its the bike being longer gives me more room to move my body compared to my large. I have no issues getting this bike to pop or play.

I was running a Burgtec 38mm rise bar with 20mm spacers underneath the stem!

I havent changed the front end set up since purchasing the bike, it has 20mm spacers under the 45mm stem which has 5mm rise, the bars are the stock spesh ones which are 28mm. Love the front wheel height when in the steeps.

Lots of different opinions in this thread, what I would say is the Enduro is a quite in demand bike, if you did pick one up and didn’t like it, I’m sure you wouldn’t lose too much, I see second hand ones being listed for £4,500 on eBay and PB.

beer247
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses.

Can’t believe the Enduro has 20 bearings!

I’m still in two minds – the jump in reach from the SJ (475ish mm) to the Enduro (511mm) seems quite a big change.

On the list at the moment:

Specialized Enduro
    Commencal Meta AM/TR
    Forbidden Druid (completely different to the other two, i know!)

Can you let me know your experiences of increasing reach on a new bike a substantial amount?

weeksy

Can you let me know your experiences of increasing reach on a new bike a substantial amount?

You don’t necessarily have to increase reach just because they make them longer, for example i went to a Medium G 160 from a large T130 because they’d increased it so much.

Tracey

From my old Enduro to the new one the reach is 39mm longer and the difference between the Turbo Levo and the new Enduro is 35mm

I don’t notice it

I don’t worry over the amount of bearings as they have never been a problem with excessive wear on any of the Specialized’s we have had.

nickc

a 160/170 coil spring bike I can pedal on virtually all terrains? Just superb

I’ve a 2019 Pro (light blue one with Ohlins coils front and back) and TBH this is what I think every time I ride it. OK, it’s not the lightest or fastest uphill, but honestly I don’t care. It’s still on it’s original bearings, not had any of the shock issues that others have suffered from. The only things I’ve changed are the dropper (o/e part was TBF, pretty ropey) and the stem and bar (as I did like the look of the o/e parts, not because of any fault). It’s the first bike in a while that I’ve thought I’ll probably keep until it dies a fiery death

oikeith

I’m still in two minds – the jump in reach from the SJ (475ish mm) to the Enduro (511mm) seems quite a big change.

I went from 462mm to 511mm, it was noticeable visually from the start, took a few runs on the first ride to get used to the wheelbase and identify I needed to run more air in the rear but has been great since.

I picked mine up in November and have ridden all through the winter doing 255 miles and have had no bearing issues.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Forbidden Druid

Wouldn’t the Dreadnought be the more comparable bike?

argee

They are lovely bikes, maybe in a couple of years i’ll switch over, as for pedaling, i honestly find today’s enduros not that bad, suspension is so much more efficient and easier to turn off/on, what makes enduro bikes a nightmare to pedal is the big heavy tyres you stick on if you’re hitting stuff, i have DD Shorty MaxxGrips on mine just now, honestly it would make a racing hardtail struggle to move forward on tarmac!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro – Tracey to the forum!’ is closed to new replies.