Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Specialized Enduro rear shock change help!!
  • dai-m
    Free Member

As title trying to change my rear shock but can’t seem to juggle the shock and the bushes to get the bolt through, any trade secrets that would help 😥

Cheers dai

Rorschach
    Free Member

swearing helps

dai-m
    Free Member

Done that in abundance 🙂

schnor
    Free Member

Assuming its unscrewed fully and you’re removing it, just take the bikes weight via the top tube, put a screwdriver / whatever in the other side and knock the bolt out with a hammer.

If you’re putting the shock back on, do the same until it manages to screw back in.

LoCo
    Free Member

The one with the cup and cone bushes? they’re a pain in the bum, lots of grease to hold them in place, while you insert the shock into frame then insert your bolt

dai-m
    Free Member

Yes it’s the cones and cup on the one side’s the problem it’s like I need three pairs of hands lol

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Grease is your friend.

mrplow
    Free Member

Put the bolt just in so that it holds one side together through the cup and cone but flush so that the shock eye can slide in, makes it a lot easier. If you have something the right size you can set up the other side the same making it simple and push through with the bolt. :mrgreen:

I_Ache
    Free Member

As above, lots of heavy sticky grease and use the bolt to hold on one side and a finger to hold the other. I find it easier to put the frame in a stand and take the rear wheel off. Mount the shock at the front first but keep the bolt loose. I also tend to angle the inner cups a little to give the shock a little more room to wiggle in. You will probably find it all gets a little tight before the bolt/axle is maligned with the eyelet, I tend to use a 10mm Allen key to lever the shock in against the bearings.

It’s a bloody pain in the arse system tbh. I would like to know if there is a more difficult design out there.

LoCo
    Free Member

i ache, you’d have to try really hard to make a more annoying mounting system 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

You really would wouldn’t you. I can see what they were thinking but its really bloody annoying.

honourablegeorge

Those bastard things, when i got my Demo I changed the spring at night in a car park, must have dropped them twenty times.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

When you replace the bearings, buy a spare bolt kit too. Use two bolts at the shock mount, one on each side, tobhold the washers stable while you fit the shock in place. Then just push one bolt all the way through which pushes the other bolt out.

hora
    Free Member

Loco, slight hijack- could I purchase a few more Mazz shims from you?

The shim stack on my 55’s is bloody good but the differential between compression is minimal (i.e I need it to be firmer at one side)- I think I need a bigger stack. Do you think that means more 17mm shims (the biggest on the stack) or more lower down to create this?

OP- when you’ve done that order from offsetbushes.com two offset bushes- its a doddle to fit and my Enduro feels alot better…….

LoCo
    Free Member

Hora drop me mail, explaining whether you need more high, low speed or both damping you want and what the forks aren’t doing that you want them too and I’ll work it out for you 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hora wrong enduro, this is for the model before yours. Only 1 offset bushing will fit on that shape.

hora
    Free Member

Ah the best Enduro.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Well I don’t know about it being the best but I certainly prefer it to the Pitch I had.

would like to give a new shape Enduro a try.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong as i’m not taking the piss here but can’t you get someone to hold it whilst you fit it together?

hora
    Free Member

I think the horizontally-mounted Enduros are rated the best but the older Enduro is cheaper…win win

I_Ache
    Free Member

Patriot, it really isn’t that simple. For a start there isn’t enough room for two people to work on it. And even if there was both people would need to know exactly how to do it.

I will show you next time we go for a ride.

dai-m
    Free Member

Result shock changed, loads of grease and help from the mrs(well holding the bike steady lol). Just need to put air in it now! Every time I undo the shock pump the air comes out, never had air shock before so not sure how the pumps work, been given a topeak pump! Any advice? 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

The air is coming out of the pump not the shock. Don’t worry about it.

dai-m
    Free Member

Thanks again 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

Result shock changed, loads of grease and help from the mrs(well holding the bike steady lol). Just need to put air in it now!

Ache – make that “i’ll buy you a pint after the next gathering” 😉

PS – Hope the leg is recovering with godspeed!

patriotpro
    Free Member

The air is coming out of the pump not the shock. Don’t worry about it.

+1 – Most likely the valve. Use the pressure gauge on the pump as a guide and use sag as your pressure setting indicator.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have 3 weeks left before I can stand up mate. Going to have to get the Duvel on the go for the next gathering. Some proper beer for after a proper ride.

Sorry for the hijack op I hope you have your bike sorted now and can go out and rip it up. Enjoy.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro rear shock change help!!’ is closed to new replies.