Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Specialized Enduro – All mountain – best tyre ?
  • colinmac
    Free Member

Got a little bubble on a sidewall, so it’s time to replace the tyres. On my bigbike, it’s an easy choice really, Minions, or similar.

I’ve not long bought the enduro SL, and would appreciate some tips for a decent tyre / size. I’ll likely just replace both, so reasonably priced would be good…

Any comments?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I use 2.4″ Rubber Queens on mine and love them. It’s mainly used for trail centre riding, as I have other bikes for other things. Nice, light enough tyre with really predictable grip. They are BIG though, really big!

The new Mountain King II looks pretty handy. Am going to be trying a 2.4″ front/2.2″ rear version for the summer on the Enduro, I think.

akira

Currently on Spesh Eskars as they are big, reasonably light and pretty cheap. Have bigger tyres for running if it’s going to be all gnar and awesome.

fergal
    Free Member

Have to say great bike choice, loving my Enduro, you have already answered your own question, still have the Eskars on mine but when they wear out will definatley be replacing with Minions an outstanding all round tyre.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Odd that people like the Eskars. I found them appallingly bad and binned them both after a couple of rides! Binned one after the first ride after the sidewall went very easily.

Different riding styles, perhaps? Who knows.

trickydisco
    Free Member

replacing with Minions an outstanding all round tyre.

has eskars on mine changed to minions and they are a world apart

Never changing back!

PJM1974
    Free Member

The Eskars look like a really good tyre.

My big bike (a Marin Wolf Ridge) is set up with a 2.3″ High Roller up front and a 2.23″ Ardent at the back. As a result it rolls extremely well, certainly faster than my “lightweight” full suss bike on 2″ Spesh Roll X/Captains (which also happens to be a 2004 Enduro).

fergal
    Free Member

Why do you find them gash? riding in the gloop! have only ridden mine on rocky stuff in the mountains and some downhill, seemed reasonably good on wet roots too. But will be fitting Minions as soon as justifiable.

honourablegeorge

I found the 2.4 Rubber Queens very grippy on proper rooty, rocky trails, but draggy for trail centres and the like. Ended up ditching them because the sidewalls deformed on them, so much so I thought I had a massive buckle in my wheel – rim turned out to be perfect, but the tyre was so out of shape that it wouldn’t spin in the frame.

Back on 2.4 Nobby Nics now, find them excellent

akira

These days good tyres seems to come down to rubber compound as about 50% of tyres seem to be Maxxis copies anyway.

cubemeup
    Free Member

my bro got ardents on his enduro 2.4 lokks and rides really nice

jhw
    Free Member

I like Eskars. Rode them for a week in the Alps last year. The thing I noticed about them was that in the dry you can lean them, and lean them, and lean them some more, at speed, even on slippy dust. You don’t have to do it smoothly either, you could violently ram the bike down (sorry Zero G) and still carry on course. Dunno about the wet though. But in the dry they were light years ahead of say High Rollers which are themselves very good.

adstick
    Free Member

Eskars are great in the dry but you do need to lean them over. Very grippy and fast rolling.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Eskars – run them on my Enduro and my Soul and like them a lot.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Enduro – All mountain – best tyre ?’ is closed to new replies.