Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Specialized Eliminator Black Diamond
  • ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I’m needing a new Rear tyre after slicing the sidewall of my Michelin……I love the Michelin’s but wanted a cheap dry weather tyre and came across the Specialized Eliminator Black Diamonds…. Anyone used them? I’ve had the Slaughter grids previously but they are pants so was just wondering if these were any better. Thanks in advance.

belgianwaffle1

Doesn’t seem like anything special and quite expensive new. what draws you to them and what kind of riding do you do and what width are you after?

DezB
    Free Member

£27.50 isn’t expensive.

I use the GRID as a front tyre in the dry. I like em. Not tried on the rear though

steel4real
    Free Member

I use ’em, on the rear – very similar to a Maxxis Aggressor – IME.

Fast rolling, reasonably grippy, corner fine, nice size.

andybrad

mine is coming to the end of its life. i liked it but bloody heavy

teethgrinder

I’ve always been impressed with Specialized tyres until I’ve used them. They’re cheap, which is a plus, and they don’t seem to wear.

They also are canny grippy; the 2.6 Grid Slaughter at £12 from Spesh direct was great for the brief period I had it. But it had to be cock-on with pressure – a couple of psi too high and it would ping off every rock and root with no compliance, a couple of psi too low and it would squirm like mad even ridden conservatively. Managed to hit the sweet spot a couple of weeks ago, just as I hit a rock on a trail, and ended up with a hole in the tread (which would have been fixable) and a hole in the sidewall just above the bead (which wasn’t). An that was with running an insert. Also had a Black Diamond 2.6 Butcher go at the sidewall.

Now got a Michelin Force AM2 on the back which is loads tougher and rolls better than the Michelin WE.

I’d far rather have a decent tyre that costs more than a cheap, fragile tyre.

dc1988

This will probably end up like every other Specialized tyre thread where it’s 50/50 between love and hate. I personally quite like them, I’m currently running Butchers front and rear on my full sus and Slaughter on the back of my hardtail. I’ve also got a Hillbilly and Eliminator on rotation.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

I ride mostly rocky natural stuff and the Michelin’s are great for it but they dont seem to last too long once it gets dry, that’s why I’m looking for a cheap summer tyre then put the Michelin back on later in the year…. Im running 27.5 x 2.4 atm.

chakaping
    Free Member

Also had a Black Diamond 2.6 Butcher go at the sidewall.

Me too, twice, but it’s been alright now I’ve put a Rimpact in.

I’m looking for a cheap summer tyre

I’d give the Eliminator a go then. Butcher’s been OK for me as a rear tyre, nothing special but doesn’t try to kill you like if you have them on the front.

belgianwaffle1

@DezB

Must have missed that deal then. Other prices looked expensive hence my commment.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, the prices are up and down all the time on the Specialized site. Can sometimes grab em for £12, which is nice.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies folks…. I also run Rimpacts so I’m hoping that will make them last a bit better than the Slaughter I used previously did.

enigmas
    Free Member

I ran one for a while, bloody heavy and relatively slow, but grips well in all conditions. Also wears really well.

It survived a week in morzine but then managed to slash the sidewall going down jacobs ladder – go figure.

weeksy

I’m running a Butcher on 2 bikes, love them.

pedlad

Also ran one for a while inc Alps and Lakes. Like the grip and consistent breakaway. Sidewalls are incredibly stiff feeling in the blkdiamond casing, to the extent that I had to use a pressure gauge to work out what I was at rather than my usual trusty thumb. I’ve swapped back to the lighter casing now for general riding.

I like Spez tyres as it seems you can get some good deals and the grip is good. They do seem to go off as a compound….sort of harden up over 18-24 months before they actually wear out (with my usage) but no idea how that compares with other, dearer brands.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Eliminator Black Diamond’ is closed to new replies.