Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Specialized and Scott 27.5 Plus full suss bikes, any info please?
  • mtbkim
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m looking at getting a full suss 27.5+ bike, and am interested in the Scott Genius Plus and Stumpjumper 6fattie (both on good deals at the moment). I’ve found quite a few reviews on the SJ but not much on the Scott (having a ride on a SJ tonight, but shop says no to taking off road, no Scotts local to try).
    Anyone have any real world views, other options?
    Thanks

muggomagic

I own a SJ comp 6fattie and did a demo day on the Scott carbon genius.

The scott was a very nice bike and after riding it I was sold on the whole plus size thing, but went for the specialized as I found an ex-demo one locally with £1200 off.

The specialized has been brilliant. I’m lots faster on it on everything including climbs which really surprised me. Can’t fault it at all.
    It’ll be interesting to see how the bigger tyres cope in winter as on some of the wet rides I’ve done there was a feeling of drift across the top of thick mud. I’m going to try a more aggressive winter tyre on the front to see if that makes a difference.

pigyn
    Free Member

Can’t comment on either of those but I had my first ride on a Salsa Pony Rustler last night, very much lots of fun. Really light, pedals great, descends like a weapon 😀

mtbkim
    Free Member

muggomagic

How would you say the SJ compares to the Scott?

muggomagic

Hard to tell really. I only had the scott for a couple of hours, but I was that impressed with it that I went from being perfectly happy with my 26″ wheeled Commencal meta to being determined to get a plus size full sus bike. Where as I’ve had the SJ since June and it’s been brilliant on everything from 2 hour rides in the woods to longer more XC type rides.
    I think the alloy version of the scott didn’t have as good a spec as the equivalent SJ. If you are going for the carbon version then I don’t think you will go too far wrong with either bike TBH.

EDIT: I do remember using the trail mode on the scott for climbing far more than I do on the specialized but that may be because I didn’t spend much time in getting it all set up as I have done with the SJ.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/6fattie-comp-carbon-a-mini-review

Happy to answer any further questions. Hope that helps though.

muggomagic

CFH’s mini review helped me decide on the specialized. Thanks Flashy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

De nada!

Might be doing another soon…new Enduro. Watch this space…!

mtbkim
    Free Member

The SJ certainly seems to be the front runner at the moment! One issue is that looking at the size chart, at 6’2″, I should be on the XL where most places only have the (reduced 2016 Comp) in Large. How have people found sizing?

muggomagic

I’m 6ft and have a large and it fits like a glove.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above, L was fine for me, at a smidge under 6′.

Bear in mind that sizing isn’t just height, your proportions matter as well, such as arm, back, leg length etc.

ash.addy
    Free Member

At 5’10” I rode the large and was really impressed, I thought a medium would fit me but the top tube wasn’t too long and with the seat post down and the command post fully up it fits like a glove, so I bought it the 2016 spec which is really good value at the mo with 25% off. The 2017 spec doesn’t seem to be as good.

muggomagic

Be warned the SJ is a bad bike. It makes you ride things much faster than you should. I have a very sore knee and hand after coming in way too fast on a tight corner last night. Stupid bike.

mtbkim
    Free Member

thanks for the replies.
    I took the ‘Large’ out last night, and was surprised that it felt fine size wise. Only had chance to play around local park and up and down some steps and little drops, but it did feel very nice, and not at all sluggish which it looks like it should with those tyres! The main criticism I’ve read is about pedal strike (obviously couldn’t check that out on my test ride), how have people found that?
    I take it no-one has a Scott? Think it’ll probably be the SJ tho, now I’ve had a little ride.

muggomagic

Yes you do have to watch out for pedal strikes, but I found the same with the scott too. I haven’t found it a major issue, I’ve caught the pedal a couple of times trying to pedal over a large root, but soon got used to it and put a little burst in beforehand or ratchet the pedals.
    I guess this is the downside of them both using 29er front ends that were already quite low and then putting slightly smaller wheels/tyres on them making them lower still.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Specialized and Scott 27.5 Plus full suss bikes, any info please?’ is closed to new replies.