Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)
  • Special Ops watches
  • meesterbond

Ignoring the dodgy ‘special forces’ connections, it looks like a £10 quartz movement in an overbuilt steel case selling for quite a lot of cash.

Unless you really need the ‘stealth’ look, then I’d just pick up a Seiko Monster – about a £120, bomb-proof case, decent auto movement etc.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Whatever you pay for a watch the time remains the same.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like those Mondaine watches what resemble Swiss station clocks.

does not in any way mean I want to work as a guard at Zurich Central though….

GW
    Free Member

WTF is it with watches on here?

their pointlessness ranks up there with bells IMO.

meesterbond

Besides, this is what real Special Forces wear… says so on the dial.

peterfile
    Free Member

that’s my point, why try and be a fake squaddie by buying a fake special forces watch that no-one who is actually doing that job would dream of buying, as you are just going to look like an IT middle manager or worse a ‘recruitment consultant’

I think we’re looking at this from different perspectives. If I saw someone wearing a chunky watch whilst out on my bike I wouldn’t think “oh, he’s pretending to be a squaddie”, I’d think “he’s wearing a chunky watch”.

The same way that when I see someone wearing an Omega Seamaster I don’t think “ha, he’s trying to be james bond”.

It’s just a watch.

Why are you getting so wound up about it? 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t get wound up.

That’s because I operate using Perpetual Motion. 😀

Elfin ‘Datejust’ Safety.

mcboo
    Free Member

G10 for men

richc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say I was getting wound up, just bemused by some people stupidity 😉

With that grahams watch, any ideas what the plastic lever clicky bit is for?

peterfile
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say I was getting wound up, just bemused by some people stupidity

It’s not stupidity mate. It’s your inability to understand the difference between people buying things because they like the look of them as opposed to those who buy to try an emulate the look of a bunch of blokes who sleep in tents and wear camo clothing.

Why do you think anyone would want to look like a squaddie (other than 60 year old weirdos who wish they had joined the army when they were younger)? It’s hardly vogue is it? 😉 This is where I’m completely confused.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Back to the watches…I had a Casio ProTrek for a few years that was completely bombproof. Big, ugly and heavy, but bombproof. I recently fancied a change & bought a Suunto Core, which is very nice indeed. Doesn’t feel as bombproof (time will tell), but it’s way more comfortable to wear, looks better (imho) and has similar features.

peterfile
    Free Member

I recently fancied a change & bought a Suunto Core,

That was top of my list originally. Really like the look of it. The only that I was worried about was that massive face….does it get trashed quite easily?

meesterbond

richc – Member
    With that grahams watch, any ideas what the plastic lever clicky bit is for?

Make it look like a hand-grenade.

(I’m guessing it starts and stops the chronometer)

pedalhead
    Free Member

That was top of my list originally. Really like the look of it. The only that I was worried about was that massive face….does it get trashed quite easily?

I’ve only had the Core a few weeks so the jury is out on how hardy it is. I’ve given it a few “oh ****” clunks onto door frames etc & it’s still spotless so hopefully that bodes well. Mine’s the all black military or whatever version.

chomp
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these G-Shocks (earlier model) for almost 10 years now and it’s been amazing. It’s not even needed a new battery which I can’t quite get my head around.

Since getting this I’ve had about 5 or 6 other watches and apart from one that gets worn when I’m in a suit they’ve all fallen by the wayside. The only downside is that it’s a dark green colour but other than that I don’t seem to be able to break it

I really like the look of that Citizen Eco-Drive, anyone have a linky to the exact model?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

My G100 is still working after ten years but constant dunkings in the bike wash bucket rotted the many nylon straps that I used to replace the cracked original, and recently the bezel cracked to the point of it disintegrating. I was able to source a replacement bezel for £13. I’ve changed the battery for the first time as the display was starting to dim. Apart from the neobrite markings dimming slightly it’s survived what I do to it suprisingly well. All in all if you want a watch to take some abuse and have big hands that are easily legible the G100 is (mostly) what you want, anything more is just a pose IMO.

BoardinBob

Moonhead – Member
    What a F**king joke.

Are you SAS or SBS OP? Oh wait maybe you are Delta?

Also I doubt you are going to dive to 100m anytime soon. I would be impressed if you managed half that.

Try 50m in the north sea with 2m vis. Bet you anything you would sell your fancy watch for £1 to just see daylight again.

Just get something pretty.

Film Actors Guild.

🙄

Nice homophobia

clubber
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences 😉

So on the basis that this thread seems to have transformed from ‘what watch will make me look like I am in the SAS though not really because anyone really in Special Ops wouldn’t actually wear one’ to ‘what watch will not get trashed’, what’s the consensus on a normal looking watch for £100 or less that won’t get trashed (having trashed three decent watches in three years now…)

hora
    Free Member

thatscold
    Free Member

I really like the look of that Citizen Eco-Drive, anyone have a linky to the exact model?

Click Me
    Wait for tomorrows black Friday offers…. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Shame that looked quite nice but ‘canvas strap’.

hora
    Free Member

On a wider note, if I was 12 I’d have LOVED a watch called ‘special Ops’.

Now, I think it sounds abit lame.

What next? Buy a car called the Mitsubishi Warrior? 😆

clubber
    Free Member

a bit lame?!

It sounds like the kind of thing Gareth from The Office would love…

In fact, isn’t that what he’s wearing? 🙂

hillsplease

The lad in my Platoon used to be made for the issue G10 watches, on the basis they were free. Albeit occasionally folk would buy one in the occasional fit of misplaced enthusiasm. Anything with Special Forces on was scrupulously avoided on the basis that it made you an object of ridicule.

meesterbond

Seiko Monster or a Seiko 5.
    I picked up a secondhand one of these less than a ton and for the price, the quality is outstanding. Really well built and a nice, non-hacking / non-wind auto movement. They do also come in black.

hora
    Free Member

clubber

Yes, I am currently sat here wearing my Keros GTI aftershave whilst eating a lion bar staring at the screen. This weekend I will be driving to Llandegla in my Mitsubishi lifestyle Warrior 😆

After my ride, I’ll walk my two Rotweillers Satan and Thunder then pop down to a shop to pick up a ‘Special Ops’ watch.

Clobber
    Free Member

I like the radio solar tough casio range…

Can’t break them, don’t need to change the battery, the time is always correct…

Fit and forget

redthunder
    Free Member

@chomp

I got that G-Shock [blue/yellow] and it’s almost 10 years and still does not need batteries.

I also have a Casio calcultor with space invaders on it and it still works… I’ve never put batteries in that either.

Nuclear powered I reckon.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The amazon review of the ecodrive made me laugh

The picture says it all…
    What’s the point in wearing ANY watch that requires the eyesight of superman (or supergirl!) together with the brightness of the sun to tell the time.
    There are cheaper methods of frustration… buy any bargain watch, get a black felt tip permenant marker and let rip.
    Ok it’s not all bad… I’m giving one star for the nice black strap.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Found it found it found it!

The perfect watch for this Forum:

😀

CountZero

Click Me
    Wait for tomorrows black Friday offers….

I’m waiting.
    Regarding squaddies not wearing G10’s, probably advisable somewhere like Helmand; in the dark the face will really show up in a pitch black night, perfect sniper target. Snipers during WW1 used to look out for glowing watch faces at night, as they were more likely worn by officers. A G10 is much, much brighter than a radium dial.

nealglover
    Free Member

…What a F**king joke.
    Are you SAS or SBS OP? Oh wait maybe you are Delta?
    Also I doubt you are going to dive to 100m anytime soon. I would be impressed if you managed half that.
    Try 50m in the north sea with 2m vis. Bet you anything you would sell your fancy watch for £1 to just see daylight again.
    Just get something pretty.
    Film Actors Guild.

LMFAO at this pointless rant :mrgreen:

You really need to chill the **** out 😕

The fella is buying a watch 😕 what’s that to get so stressed about ?

I suggest laying off the steroids for a bit and seeing if you can get those outbursts under control 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

I got me one of these. Solar powered (No real use in the UK), Atomic (only worth it if everyone else goes atomic), waterproof (needed in UK). The only negative is that chicks seem to go for me because of my look rather than taking the time to get to know me properly. I have a mind too.

wrecker
    Free Member

Would love one of these, don’t think they ever came into the UK though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can get something very simliar in Argos for wunundred pounds.

alexxx
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlicWUDf5MM[/video]

jonke
    Free Member

Why not ask this guy: Watch Snob

mefty
    Free Member

My father wore something like this in Normandy, unfortunately the original was lost/stolen.

wrecker
    Free Member

Elf, I already have one of those! Thanks for the tip though.
    Really like this one though.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

According to a watchmaker I know the Casio atomics are pish at picking up the time signal.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Special Ops watches’ is closed to new replies.