Special Ops watches

Home Forum Chat Forum Special Ops watches

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • Special Ops watches
  • peterfile

Anyone got one?

I want something nice and bombproof that’s good for outdoors type stuff and general knocking around (literally). Not interested in GPS watches, would prefer to have a nice meaty watch.

Quite like the look of this.

Linky

Special Ops are mail order only, but I’ve got a meeting in LA in a couple of weeks and their showroom doesn’t seem to be too far from my office, so might swing by. They are much cheaper in US than UK.

Has anyone got one? Are they any good or just usual marketing guff?

richc

Odd, I know someone who is in Special Ops and I think he uses a Casio.

I would worry about looking like a sad wannabe with a watch like that.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Blokes with dodgy tashesβ„’ seem to favour the Suunto Advisor.

Or the Core.

peterfile

Odd, I know someone who is in Special Ops and I think he uses a Casio.

I would worry about looking like a sad wannabe with a watch like that.

It’s not that odd. I don’t think it’s a rule that you have to buy a Special Ops watch if you are in the Special Ops.

I don’t worry about looking like a sad wannabe, so that’s not an issue either. I like the look of the watch, I’m not expecting girls to come up to me and ask me whether Helmand is really as terrible as everyone says.

peterfile

Or the Core.

I quite like the look of the all black core. But not sure how many times I could smack it off things before it started looking grubby.

I’ve got one of these.

http://www.specialopswatch.com/cart/products.cgi?detail=21

Wow they’ve gone up in price! Got mine for sub Β£300.
    Bought mine for the same reason as you, wanted something that I could just wear and forget and not worry about taking it off for biking, climbing etc.

Does what it says on the tin really, very hardy and weighs a ton, but in a good way. I like mine and don;t think its overally expensive for a decent watch. The plating has also improved over the years so more scratch resistant

I’d def go have a look at the show rooms if your nearby.

redthunder

get a G-Shock!

peterfile

get a G-Shock!

That’s what I’ve got at the moment, but one my 4th now so just fancied a change πŸ™‚

iDave

I think people buy a special ops watch if they feel they missed their calling and use terms like ‘special ops’ rather than seeing it on their salary slip

Are you that clumsy that a normal watch wouldn’t do?

schrickvr6

Do people still use watches?

richc

It’s not that odd. I don’t think it’s a rule that you have to buy a Special Ops watch if you are in the Special Ops.

Actually I think it is a rule that if you are in Special Ops, that you try and blag everything you can, and certainly don’t spend Β£300 on a watch

you could be even more core, and get the hello-kitty g-shock watch.

cyclebiker

+1 G-Shock.

I have a G-Shock Mudman, while is it a little big it is “in my opinion” bomb (or mark) proof. I have had it for around 4 years and only take it off to work on the car.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

redthunder

@richc

Can you really get a Hello Kitty G-Shock. I’d have one πŸ™‚

trail_rat

Only watch ive ever broken was a g shock horrible thing too big and acted as a fulcrum for my wrist snappage

Use a casio f91 . Hasnt broken in 2 years of prety hard graft …..

jota180

I have a Luminox which is quite nice

http://www.luminox.com/

Originally, MTM was approached by members of an elite special forces unit who requested that they develop watches for their unit. They requested features not yet available in the watch industry. These were to be special forces watches which incorporated cutting edge technology and materials. The goal was to find and utilize such technology and to integrate it into the watch with functions that were useful to soldiers, special forces, and tactical units in the field.

In 1972 a crack commando unit went to jail for a crime they didn’t commit. They promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade and started developing watches.

If you you need a ‘special’ watch and if you can find them, maybe you can spank a large wad on a matt black Casio.

richc

Bitchin, to the MAX!

redthunder

beat me πŸ™‚

wrecker

A friend has one of these;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BREITLING-AVENGER-SEAWOLF-TITANIUM-SAS-WATCH-/250854153309

A bit different to a generic branded “spec ops” watch.
    He’s quite entitled to wear it though…..

As a sidenote, all the guys I know in infantry-based units seem to use Casios or Suuntos.

Dependable and don’t mind a bit of abuse. Also not silly money to replace.

peterfile

As a sidenote, all the guys I know in infantry-based units seem to use Casios or Suuntos.

Do the suuntos have a good rep then? I do quite like the Core

redthunder

My old man was in the LI and had G-Shocks.

don simon

I’m not expecting girls to come up to me and ask me whether Helmand is really as terrible as everyone says.

Fortunately you’re amongst friends here, so you can tell us. Is it?

I believe so. Pricier than Casios (obviously) but genuinely useful bits of kit.

A few proper yotties (ones that actually sail) were using them too when I worked with them, several years back.

redthunder

this is nice… my next g-shock will have an analogue face.
    http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8692882/g-shock+aviator+radio+controlled+solar+powered+watch/

Trail Centre Proof πŸ˜‰

The G-Shock combination Aviator watch built to resist 15G of force and packed full of features. Radio wave technology offers phenomenal accuracy and being solar powered, it is recharged by light.. The watch also features world time, stopwatch, repeat countdown timer, 5 daily alarms, 200m water resistance and shock resistance.

When I was in ‘Nam I used to use a…. oh, I wont go there.

grantway

Like a G Shock πŸ˜‰

CountZero

schrickvr6 – Member

Those who want to know the time quickly do. Those on a more…relaxed timetable casualy fish around in their pocket, locate their mobile phone, withdraw it, press a little button, wake it up, unlock it, then look at the time on the display. Unless, of course, they’re one of those really sad individuals who swan around with their mobi clutched in their sweaty little fist, in a β€œhey, look at meeeeeee! I’ve got a mobile phone! Aren’t I just really cool?”

jon1973

they’re quite useful for telling the time without having to get your phone out

Premier Icon firestarter
    Subscriber

Your never late with a g1098 πŸ˜‰

jon1973

[img]http://www.mouse-watches.com/disneywatch/large-mickey-mouse-disney-watch250.jpg[/img]

rogg

Seiko Monster? lots of dial colours (mine’s orange) very tough as old boot, nicely hefty, automatic.

headfirst

Thanks to this thread I’ve just bought myself a new watch. For Β£8.61 inc. p &p.

Thanks trail rat.

peterfile

Use a casio f91 . Hasnt broken in 2 years of prety hard graft …..

Which one are YOU? πŸ™‚

Suunto Core Black – a few good deals on them at the moment, and thats what “Them” all wear πŸ˜€

headfirst

peterfile, well I haven’t got any skinny jeans so….. 😈

nealglover

In my personal watch experience, the ones that claim to be capable of taking abuse etc seem to worst at it.

Have broken the screen/glass on two G-Shocks before. And it didn’t seem to take much either.
    Then I bought a pretty standard “suit” watch, it’s a Hugo Boss Metropolis Maxx, nothing flash, and no claims of indestructibility etc. But I’ve had it ten years and I never take it off.

I work on building sites, and my watch takes some serious abuse most days. And it still looks new after 10 years.
    The glass is impossible to scratch, and it’s domed so seems to take more abuse without breaking than any other watch I’ve had.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Special Ops watches’ is closed to new replies.