Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Special Constables
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Any here?

Why do you do it? Can’t think of any job I’d volunteer to do for free, let alone being a police officer! Let’s here it for the Hobby Bobby’s! No, really… Why?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bullied at school.

End of thread.

enfht
    Free Member

If I didn’t enjoy the occasional spliff I’d jump at the chance to carry one of those telescopic batons 😀

You’re under arrest – whack!!

Please blow into this and count to….whack!!!

Can you do a vehicle check for me, oh hang on, whack!!!!

Where’s you ID card…whack!!!

Can’t speak English…whack!!!

Is it ‘cos I is…whack whack whack!!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

Must admit, most specials I’ve met have been class one numpties. They’re like police, but without a sense of humour. ^_^

BigDummy
    Free Member

Depends if you get a Taser surely?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

enfht – I wouldn’t let that stop you. Imagine rolling up around a baton and having an “extendable joint”. How cool!?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

Depends if you get a Taser surely?

IIRC only trained/firearm cops at the moment iirc. And DON’T call me Shirley.

I’m sure if you dug around you could get yourself an ASP or Casco pretty easily.

BigDummy
    Free Member

only trained/firearm cops at the moment

Then I agree, I’d not be a special constable. 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Never yet encountered any that I considered to be terribly good and met a lot that are awful.

ziggy
    Free Member

I was once a ‘Special’

It was really to see if I wanted to join the Police as a career.

While some days/nights were full of fun chasing baddies in cars/foot most of the time was spent sorting out pointless issues and clearing up the drunks from streets late at night.

For all of you moaning about the Police try getting in their shoes and then see if your opinion changes, you can often do no right when it comes to policing the general public. TBH alot of the work the Police do should be for social services!

jonb
    Free Member

I knew someone that did it. They were considering a career change and wanted to find out what being a police officer was like. Try before you buy kind of thing.

nbt

Most SCs I know fall into one of two camps, both of which are mentioned above. The latter is far more prevalent but there are a few of the former

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Try before you buy?

ITV…. The Bill. It’s JUST like that. Now go sign up. 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

Warrant card 😉

MoreCashThanDash

A friend joined up when I lived down in Sussex.

Arrived for her first shift – got ribbed mercilessly by the regulars

She spent most of that first shift with a bin liner helping collect the bits left behind by some guy who jumped in front of the Gatwick Express.

Had no more trouble from the regulars after that.

Maybe if some of the critics of the Police on here actually had to deal with the stuff they do every working day, you might be able to offer a more mature point of view

aphex_2k
    Free Member

No-one’s dissin the Feds, man.

I’m saying, why the hell would you volunteer and do it for free? I’ve heard the stories. You weren’t there man, you weren’t there!

Simples.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m a “regular” and have no idea why they do it for free either! They have to do something like 16 hours a month as well but why oh why!?? If you want to know what the police is like most forces have a “ride along” basically you go out with them on a shift and run along behind them going to everything. Before I joined and when I wasn’t sure I did a “ride along” on a night shift and had a blinder, did some really exciting stuff and it really opened by eyes to what goes on. A lot of specials do it as a starting point (this was before PCSO’s as lot start as a PCSO now before moving on).

To be fair though I respect those that want to work for free on a Friday night pushing away drunks and they get ribbed mercilessly as they are obviously specials from the shoulder numbers SC then number starts with “8” (in our force).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

my mates do it; reasons: a strong sense of wanting to do good, to put the fear of law in local minor miscreants, they like the excitement and danger!

they have no expectation of rewards or being appreciated.

mrchrispy

im considering it, in a year or so when the kids are a little older.

reasons?

Well for one I don’t want to be the kinda person that complains but does nothing about it, the way I see it is if I want my kids to grow up in the saver environment then I can’t expect it to happen by itself.

I also think it could be interesting, I work for them anyway and it can’t hurt to see how things really work.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

Bullied at school.

End of thread.

LMAO, LMAO… Spot on neilsonwheels.

dyna-ti

I prefer to call them by their true name.

Quislings

stumpy01

My partner did it for about a year or so.

They had no new inlets for Cambridgeshire constabulary & she wanted to get the ball rolling. She’s one of those people who can’t wait for things to happen, but likes to be pro-active.
    She made some good friends doing it, and got some useful experience at the same time. As far I am aware she was treated as an equal by the regulars & did a fair mixture of exciting & boring stuff.
    She is now a regular and from what she has said, being a special prepared her well for her new job.

I am sure that there are some out there who do it just for a bit of powertripping and get walk around in the uniform, but I think they are in the minority.

Nico
    Free Member

I used to work with somebody who was a special. He liked to wear camo and read gun catalogues (though not when on duty). Probably an extreme example – he was a bit sad to be honest. I commend those who say they do it to make a difference.

ourmaninthenorth

For all of you moaning about the Police try getting in their shoes and then see if your opinion changes, you can often do no right when it comes to policing the general public. TBH alot of the work the Police do should be for social services!

I have no specific objection to individual officers, though I may from time to time have an objection to the misuse of the police as the state’s first line of attack against its citizens.

I do object to the idea of “policing the general public” – that assumes that the cops have some higher social status than the rest of us.

I absolutely expect policing to be largely social services – it’s a service to the (apparently completely unrul) “general” public.

If any person joins up hoping it’s going to be all guns and tasers, then they are definitley entirely unsuitable to be a special or regular constable.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“if I want my kids to grow up in the saver environment then I can’t expect it to happen by itself”

Yeah that’s pretty much my mates’ attitude. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

enfht – you’re cop material, apply now, you know you’d good in uniform

uplink
    Free Member

If you want to know what the police is like most forces have a “ride along” basically you go out with them on a shift and run along behind them going to everything

D’you think they’d call by & pick me up next time they’re heading out on a high speed pursuit – that’d be good

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Special Constables’ is closed to new replies.