• This topic has 27 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by anono.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Speccy-four-eyes – anyone gone from prescription lenses to inserts?
  • IHN

I could do with getting new glasses, and therefore new riding glasses.

I’ve always had full prescription lenses, but have seen some good deals for glasses with inserts instead (which also gives the flexibility to change between clear/dark/polarised/low light lenses etc)

I’ve shied away from inserts in the past, dunno why really, anyone else use them? Especially, anyone gone from full lenses to inserts?

FWIW, my prescription’s nothing extreme, but I can’t use contacts (odd shaped eyeballs apparently)

jkomo

Yeah I have both, used the insert ones more on road bike though as they look a bit ‘serious cyclist’.
    They work fine, but in winter you will haveto contend with two sets of lenses steaming up.
    Probably prefer a wrapped sports spec tbh, cos that’s what I use at the moment.

z1ppy

I had some for MTB-ing, as jkomo says they steam up & I found an arse to clear. I eventually broke the flexible frame, trying to clear them (not overnight) but had annoyed me enough.
    They are a cheap option & other threads suggest ppl do like them

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kuco

I’ve got some Adidas Evil eye with inserts and find they can be a pain in the arse with misting and you always get a piece of muck in between the insert and lens. One reason I went to a prescription lens is it’s less hassle.

IHN

Hmm, sounds like I’ll stick to prescription lens then. Cheers all

Northwind

I’ve had both, in fact I still have both but put it this way, I wear the full prescription ones every ride at the moment and I haven’t worn the inserts for years. Really don’t like the changes in field of vision, it’s just like lights- you don’t just want to see the thing you’re looking at- you might not need peripheral vision when riding but your brain wants it.

I got a pair of Bolle safety glasses with prescription lenses for way less than most bike-specifics, they are ridiculously hideous but then so are 90% of all bike glasses, and at least with these nobody thinks I think they look cool. But they work fantastic, the ugly workshop-style side protector things really cut down on wind.

slowoldman

I have Adidas Evil Eye with insert – the only way to handle my prescription. I haven’t had any particular issues with misting. Perhaps I don’t work hard enough.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve recently moved from Rudy Project frames with inserts (because I have no confidence in the UK importers – the guys from RP even told me to order direct from them because of this) to adidas Zonyk with bifocal inserts.
    They can steam up, but one you’re on the move they’re pretty good. The photochromic lenses are good and I also have clear and metalized lenses for more consistent conditions.
    My prescription is really quite high so I don’t really have much choice in riding glasses.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I’ll echo what most others said…I’d tried inserts and they were forever misting up.
    I tried contacts as well, but never got on with them.
    So I got my eyes lasered instead…
    Job done

DickBarton

Got the Evil Eyes and well and also didn’t have an issue with steaming…however, my eyesight is so duff now that I’m on varifocal and the insert solution for the Evil Eyes meant the lens would spin as I cleaned them so I’d never get it right for varifocals.
    A shame as I found them good.
    I just use my glasses now, only got 1 pair and they are used for everything…

therevokid
    Free Member

rudy project rydon with insert for warmer days … yes, they mist like a b!?&^ … and a slightly older prescription pair for everything else.
    when the main prescription changes (+4 ish with near addition) is just “retire” the current one to bike duty and keep the new for day to day life 😁

jkomo

Dick Barton, you can glue the lens stop it spinning.
    Any wrapped frame with a vari focal tends to be rubbish as the wrap messes with the optics.

BillOddie

Had inserts before having proper prescription lensed oakleys. No way would I go back!

daver27
    Free Member

I must be an oddity then, I’ve had Rudy Project Zyons for 9 years with inserts. Found them to be nothing short of superb.
    They steam up on really wet days, but name me a set of glasses that doesn’t to some degree.
    Another benefit, aside from ability to change lenses is that the prescription lense never gets scratched. 8 years of abuse on mine and not a blemish on them. That includes leaving them out the case in the boot of my car for weeks on end.
    If you do go for inserts, make sure you go for full frame glasses as the defined edge of the frame helps minimise the perceived change in focal area mentioned above by one of the other guys.

coatesy
    Free Member

Aside from it being more of a pain to clear the steaming than on normal lenses, I used to find the extra weight caused them to constantly slide down my nose. Pushing them back up at speed off road on a regular basis isn’t something i’d ever recommend.

mattbee

My visions journey went- inserts>prescription lenses>contact lenses.

Inserts in Oakley M Frames- lots of fogging between the two lenses in humid conditions, the extra frame was visible when on the drops on the road and really annoying and they tended to creep down my nose due to the extra weight.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have a complex prescription a d wear varifocals.
    I have a pair of single vision inserts (old prescription) in a cycling style frame and a new pair of non cycling prescription varifocal sunglasses.
    The inserts get fogged up, the new sunglasses were purchased for driving but work ok for rides.
    In time I think I will get new wraparound cycling glasses made up with a single vision tint.
    Don’t really need varifocals for cycling.

pyranha

I tried inserts with all of the problems mentioned (misting, dirt, slipping and the softer insert frame broke after relatively few uses). Also, I needed to carry other glasses to read maps etc, because inserts are too small to accommodate bi/varifocal lenses.

My solution last time was to get distance transitions lenses in a wraparound frame, and then buy stick-on bifocal lenses from Amazon. These are cheap enough that you could try a couple before settling on the best, although I just looked at my prescription and first time lucky. I don’t notice the bifocal part when riding, but it’s great to be able to glance down and read maps, menus etc.

slowoldman

however, my eyesight is so duff now that I’m on varifocal and the insert solution for the Evil Eyes meant the lens would spin as I cleaned them so I’d never get it right for varifocals.

That’s odd. The inserts on mine are oval so no way they could rotate. However, I normally wear varifocals but manage to make do with single vision for cycling (‘cos I’m tight).

z1ppy

They steam up on really wet days, but name me a set of glasses that doesn’t to some degree.

TBH I find my rimless normal everyday spec’s, only steam going from hot to cold (or vice versa) environments.. so I wear them for cycling instead of any special glasses. there no good for sunny days though 🙁

vmgscot

GF has Rudy Project Rydons and was forever moaning about misting – just ordered some £40 prescription specs from SelectSpecs so-called ‘cycling’ range so we will see how they pan out.

johnjn2000

I have just started this journey today and had a good conversation with RX Sport on the pros and cons of inserts versus direct prescription. Still don’t know what I will do and the lens I wanted isn’t available with my prescription which is another kick in the nads. It is an expensive thing to get wrong that’s for sure.

joebristol

I’ve got Oakley Minutes and Oakley half jackets both with aftermarket polycarbonate prescription lenses replacing the standard ones (no inserts). The minutes steam quite easily as sit wrap round close to my face. The half jackets are much better for this, but sometimes I get muddy water flicking up under the lenses and getting me in the eye (even with a front mudguard).

I’ve just ordered sample frames from Rad8 to try. If they fit my face / my helmet then I’ll probably try those. £199 for prescription transition type lenses and frames. £249 if you want ultra thin ones. My prescription is quite mild so I’ll probably go standard lenses if the frames fit.

doubleeagle
    Free Member

I have Eye Pod glasses. They’re as described above (5 different lens types, polarised etc) and have inserts. They work well, don’t slip, and I like them a lot. For ~£100 they’re great.

I can’t imagine riding with my reading glasses on, it sounds terrifying.

aide

I got some evil eyes but also found they could mist up quite easy. Also didn’t like how they affected my peripheral vision. Have been using my old prescription specs now with a neoprene band round them to keep them there, seems to be working

anono

Northwind any chance you have a link to those hideous bolle glasses?? They sound like the sort of thing i could do with.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from Oakleys to Rad8 prescription and had superb pre and post sales service, significantly cheaper and easily as good if not a little better (gasp!).

Just in case it helps or gives you another option.

James

anono

fatbikeandcoffee – which style did you go for?  and do they protect your eyes from the wind?  (I’m desperate to find something that stops my eyes watering, and was thinking the 505s might do the job….)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Speccy-four-eyes – anyone gone from prescription lenses to inserts?’ is closed to new replies.