• This topic has 23 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Speccing a modest no-bling dream bike, suggestions?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Singlespeed is not for me, and don’t want to re-gear the Lava Dome after all the work, so thinking it’s time to finally spec and build the Ti frame albeit with mostly used parts as budget is small.

2010 18″ Litespeed Obed 26er

I’m thinking XT drivetrain all over – (XT fetish, it’s a long standing thing with me) except for SLX brakes as they’re what I have. In fact all I have, except for a slightly bent SDG Bel Air Ti and some geared dropouts. Wholly uninterested in bling/labels just understated quality and excellent longevity/ function

But everything else is open to suggestions, I’m out of touch with wheelage, forkage, and the triple vs 2×9 or 2×10 speed approach etc. Long cage/shortcage? Want it to be an all-day bike ideally, lightish, everything from smooth singletrack, climbing, sketchy descents and bikepacking. Here’s one someone else specced:

bikeneil
    Free Member

The Obed is a harsh ride for a Ti frame.

chakaping
    Free Member

just understated quality and excellent longevity/ function

XTR shifters and SLX mechs for me – and 2×10 is way better than a triple IMO. Medium cage rear mech, with clutch.

Wheels are a personal choice but probably Hope Hoops with your choice or rim or if going a bit cheaper the Superstar Tactic and Tesla Evo AM wheelset is a good mix of price, weight and features.

bol

If you’re buying used, there are some rediculously good value 26″ wheels and forks to be had if you’re patient on here or eBay. Personally I’d look out for Roval Traversee ELs, Bontrager x Lites or something else with DT240 internals. Hope Hoops make more sense if buying new.

Forks-wise I’d go for Rockshox Rebas or Revelations, depending on where you stand on weight vs stiffness. Reliable, relatively cheap and work well.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Great suggestions folks, thnks so much really appreciated.

So:

Crankset: 2×10 (XT or SLX)
    Shifters: XT
    Rear mech: Medium cage with clutch
    Forks: Undecided 120mm vs 130mm, need lockout, so have considered Rebas or Revelations 426, never used either tho…
    Wheels: Looking for deals, poss DT240 hubs

Currently enjoying time having at the beaut with a red scotchbrite pad, looking NICE!

jsync

I may be able to assist with wheels in a couple of weeks dependent on new bike delivery if you’re interested.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Going lightly along to remove rubs and tiny scratches, then finishing by going around the tube seems to be the best for a dull sheen/brushed finish. Seems like an easy to option to keep it looking fine, the stock media blast was quite a nice darker grey but prone to any mark whatsoever. Quite suprised at how (relatively) quick and easy it is to get a brushed finish – never having restored Ti before. Other lifeforms in my vicinity may not feel the same optimism while other more homely tasks remain unchallenged 😉

chiefgrooveguru

My Spitfire is built like this (but with heavier duty equivalents) – nice but little bling. I’d go SLX mech, XT shifters (or Zee mech, Saint shifter for 1×10), SLX cranks and brakes (Hope brakes if you prefer a more progressive feel), Hope hoops with Stans rims (Crests or Arch EX), Revelations. Also I wouldn’t build any MTB bar a true DH bike, even a rigid singlespeed, without a dropper post (and that would be a Gravity Dropper).

bigblackshed

Sorry, but modest, no bling dream bike is a big- ole oxymoron.

It’s either a modest no bling bike or a dream bike.

A dream bike should be almost impossible to build. It should have every conceivable piece of top notch kit available and be so expensive you’ve considered selling a kidney. The price tag should make even hardcore bikers go “HOW MUCH!!!”

If it isn’t, you’re not dreaming properly.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Sorry, but modest, no bling dream bike is a big- ole oxymoron

Believe me when I say that a decently-specced Ti hardtail has been a dream of mine for going on 15 yrs…might still have to flog a kidney as it is… 8). Not all dreams are immodest/extortionate, but most if not all are personal, I’m sure you’d agree? (although 1.5k frame/3k w/XT build is hardly immodest in my neck of the woods/income bracket)

Didn’t really want to get bogged down with semantics hence the description – so won’t go on – suffice to say I just rounded off a dropout bolt that is fixed tightly into the f^%#%^#^% frame so have yet another modest dream to fulfill before anything else happens!

Peace be on your ride, bbs!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

jsnyc, thanks give me a shout via email if you want re wheels 🙂

endoverend

“I just rounded off a dropout bolt that is fixed tightly into the f^%#%^#^% frame”

Easy there Tiger – I’m assuming this frame is second hand? Be aware that many users would have ‘Red’ loctite’d the RDS dropout bolts in place as they have a tendency to undo otherwise – If so they will need lightly heating to soften the loctite. (had to do this with mine)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Yeah, threadlock no doubt. Too late for that now. Grr, I may have being muttering “But it’s MY noblingy DREAM bike!!!” under the breath as went in with the allen key. You see what happens when you f&££@ with someone’s dreams!

Beer it is. (After locking Dremel, hacksaw and other sharp or heavy metal objects in safe-box and giving someone else the key for a while)

cinnamon_girl

Just been trying to post some pics of my Litespeed but failed! First version of the Ocoee had DT forks with Hope/DT wheels plus XT. Current version has Fox thru-axle forks with Hope/Crest tubeless wheels plus XT. Oh and not forgetting the carbon bottle cages.

br
    Free Member

Buy a groupset from Merlin.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thought about 1×10 with Zee short cage mech, XT shifter?

If you can afford it get some Pikes!

jsync

Malvern Rider – Member
    jsnyc, thanks give me a shout via email if you want re wheels

Have done 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Thought about 1×10 with Zee short cage mech, XT shifter?

I hadn’t until you mentioned – is good for cross country? Thought was more downhilly? Not sure about 1×10, really need granny ring as feet got mangled some years back, recently started and immediately quit singlespeeding because of the pressure required on joints giving grief/injury. I need to get up some big hills, can’t walk em so have to cycle them!

bol

I don’t think Pikes are an option with a standard head tube.
    2×10 with a 36t cassette will give you most of the range of a triple with less weight if you’re not keen to go 1×10.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Maybe not for you then.

I run a Zee rear and 1×10 (34T front). I like the short cage because it seems to keep things out of the way nicely like large twigs and so on. Plus price wise it’s on par with SLX. Clutch seems stiffer than my XT, but that may just require some tweaking.

I’d take the bike to the Mendips happily. It’s not light at 29lbs for a hardtail, but I love it. Don’t miss the granny ring so far!

Forks wise, if standard head tube is holding you back then I’ve been really impressed by Rebas for price and I still quite like my Fox RLCs. Depends on how much travel you want I guess.

I’m sorry to dis another mans bike, but that Obed is gopping 🙁

Something just looks odd about it…

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

If its truly a dream build and your already dropping that much on the frame i would definitely get an xtr shifter. They are so far from the XT’s and saints, its easily one of the best components ive ever bought! Everything else just feels clunky where the xtr is almost telepathically smooth.

bol

I’m sorry to dis another mans bike, but that Obed is gopping
    Something just looks odd about it…

To defend another man’s bike – I think it will look a lot nicer brushed, and with stem and bars of more modern proportions.

br
    Free Member

2×10 with a 36t cassette will give you most of the range of a triple with less weight if you’re not keen to go 1×10.

No it won’t, as the extra large ring on the back more than makes up for been down one ring at the front.

I’m presuming you ride in the Malverns, then IME you’ll really need the low ratio that a double/triple gives to ‘winch’ up the steep (short) climbs.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Speccing a modest no-bling dream bike, suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.