Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spec me some wheels please
  • geoffj

For the buy (as usual 🙄 )

Requirements
    Blue Hope Hub
    Tubelesss
    650b (not boost)
    QR
    work with a Sram GX 12 Cassette

They are to upgrade a Scott Genius FS if that makes a difference

So what rims and where from?

Ta

benpinnick

My choice would be (without knowing what you’re riding or how hard so its a little moot)

DT XM481 rim
    Double butted spokes

The QR/XD bit is just based on the hub used, somewhere like moonglu or 18 bikes can sort that for you at a reasonable cost I would expect.

patriotpro
    Free Member

For the buy

?

danti

DT Swiss Ex 481 or 511
    Competition spokes

Built by Cycle-fast

philjunior
    Free Member

How wide a rim do you want? Mavic 821 if it’s wide enough, otherwise I have no recommendation really.

geoffj

Sorry, for the boy (my son).

He’s light, but not the most sympathetic of riders and is getting into enduro, so they will need to be tough ish. Rims need to deal with 2.3 Butcher and Purgatory 2bliss tyres.

I had a look at the stock hope offerings on CRC, but they don’t get the best reviews (too heavy and not particularly robust).

Thanks again

logan1989
    Free Member

Why not just go to your local shop and have a chat with the guys there about building a wheelset. They would have a better understanding of what you want, other than reading about it on CRC.

geoffj

Why not just go to your local shop and have a chat with the guys there about building a wheelset. They would have a better understanding of what you want, other than reading about it on CRC.

For the same reason I don’t buy all my bikes from them. They will recommend what they sell, which might be the best option, but equally it might not.

orangespyderman

You don’t mention money. Sixth Element would get my money if I had enough of it. If you’re closer to the cheaper end then I think Superstar have a sale on (again) on wheels – often some good bargains and their rims don’t seem half bad.

hatter

+1 for 18 Bikes or Moonglu.

Both know their onions and will be able to recommend a suitable build for your nipper’s intended use and level of thuggishness.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spec me some wheels please’ is closed to new replies.