Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Spec me an enduro commuter that makes the trip to the cafe come alive!
  • mattyfez

Bit of background, pops has a german ebike that hes wanting to sell as whilst the electrical assistance is nice, the thing is built like a tank.

We were thinking a simple light weight hybid/commuter is the way to go.
    But not racey geometry, Paniers, rigid forks, rim brakes ok as he lives in spain, its seldom wet and it will never go fast,its only for pootling about in really, so I figure weight and simplicity is the name of the game.

Bearing in mind he’s in Spain, so diffent makes/models here and 67 yo,what would people recommend so I can show the LBS what sort of thing we want?

Don’t want to spend a fortune, so not fussed about the latest technology in brakes/drive chain, but don’t mind spending for weight loss.

Was thinking something similar to a voodoo marasa,but with guards and paniers thrown in.

Thanks for any advice.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Is it hilly?

Singlespeed?

MikeG

At 67 I’d be looking at something with a step through frame, he might be fine getting on and off now but when I worked in a bike shop several of our older customers found the limiting factor to keeping riding was getting on and off the bike.

qwerty
    Free Member

steezysix
    Free Member

I’d look at Decathlon. Plenty of different models to choose from, good prices and chances are there’ll be a store within a reasonable distance so he can try them for size.

mattyfez

Yeh a step through frame, or low slung top tube would be a preferred feature.
    No hills, but want gears, even if its an old fashioned 3×8,but 2×9 or 2×10 would be fine.

mattyfez

Or even 1×11, but 11 speed stuff is too expensive, I feel.

convert

german ebike that hes wanting to sell as whilst the electrical assistance is nice, the thing is built like a tank.

Built like a tank, but for pootling about and with electric assistance. Not convinced I understand the need to change. The tankness will be more than compensated for by the E assist. Don’t underestimate the benefit of a more sit up and beg position for pootling about at a more senior age. Edit – and the step through option is great advice too. And don’t forget internal gears – nexus/alfine would be a win here.

jamj1974

Can I be the first to suggest a dropper post. I have a friend with a limited amount of mobility/flexibility and he finds that since he has had a dropper it’s much easier to get on and off the bike.

wiggles
    Free Member

A carbon super light hybrid will still be harder to pedal than an ebike…

mattyfez

Part of the issue is the ebike is very heavy when parking it, and manoeuvring it when not riding. The e bike is ok once he’s riding, but it’s a pig to manoeuvre, I don’t know what it weighs but light it is not!

Appreciate the advice on e assistance bu he needs ro get his legs moving, and an appropriately geared bike will be fine, he just needs to start in a lower gear and use the gears more effectively.

convert

What is the brand of ebike as a matter of interest? My father had a kalkhoff which now has a new step through frame and is used by my wife. My mother is 70 and has a Moustache lundi 26. Yes, they are cumbersome to move around but unless its putting in onto a car rack or whatever it’s not a biggy. The advantage of being able to have an un aero sit up and beg position, mudguards, panniers, chain guards and a load and not feel it too much and make reasonable progress as an old codger (and still get a workout and choose a cadence to suit) are worth the cumbersomeness imo.

The starting in a low gear thing is another advantage of a hub gear.

mattyfez

It’s an Aurex. It’s mega heavy.

The front wheel tends to swing backwards when its on it’s kick stand, it’s that heavily built.

convert

To be honest the swinging backwards thing is nothing to do with the weight of the bike and everything to do with the suitability/setup of the stand and the adjustment of the headset. Try filling off a little bit of the ends of the stands or prying them out a little (gently). Also nip up the headset just a touch.

In every other respect apart from the addition of a motor and battery it’s exactly what I would have thought he wants. And that sort of bike is never light anyway.

Sandwich

Some of the problem is that’s a low price ebike. Bosch or Panasonic tech is where it’s at and they are pricey. As an example the a Bosch has a walk assist button. The mid-mounted motor helps with manoeuvring and the battery lasts forever. The bike he has is built to a price and as a result it’s not great to use. Have a look at the Sparta range.

mattyfez

Link?
    Still not convinced he needs an expensive 3 tion bike, and neither is he,, tgsts why he’s selling the one in the pic.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Spec me an enduro commuter that makes the trip to the cafe come alive!’ is closed to new replies.