Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Spec me a rim? Flow Ex replacement
  • Northwind

Before I even start, the obvious answer is a Flow Ex or old-stock Flow, this I know 😉

My rear Flow Ex is dead- it’s got a big flat spot and won’t safely hold a tyre on tubeless. It’s a Hope Hoops, Pro 2 with I think comps, and it’s been impressively troublefree otherwise so I’m planning to reuse the spokes as they seem in good nick. I’m selling the dh bike so this is going to end up being a hard-use spare/alps wheel for the Hemlock to spare its crabonz from uplift days, and will probably find a permanent home in a Patriot 66 or something for cheap uplift bashing once I have the cash

Generally I was more impressed with the Flow than the Ex, I’ve destroyed one of each but the Flow lasted much longer and seemed to shrug off damage more. The Ex seems good but the low bead seems to mean it doesn’t take a lot of dent to cause real problems.

But I don’t begrudge that the rim’s failed as it’s had hard enough use to justify it (it took the fatal blow at the endurance downhill race at fort william)

So… Anything else with comparable ERD, tubeless ready, as strong as or stronger? I’d thought 821 but the ERD looks to be too different to fit with the same spokes… But then ERD figures aren’t always totally accurate and Mavic seem to want to keep it secret!

robbonzo
    Free Member

I’d be looking at WTB i23 or i25’s. Lightish, strong, true tubeless rim profile and not too expensive, I love mine. American classic also seem to be well respected so worth checking out. Or what about the new Hope enduro rim?

creamegg
    Free Member

No idea about erd but my Halo Chaos rims are solid, but a bit heavier than the flows. Id also consider the hope enduro rims

GHill

The WTB i25’s do seem like a good deal, the RYDE Trace Enduro also has my attention.

Northwind

i25 looks the very dab, I’ll get one of those. Cheers!

stoney
    Free Member

Perhaps you could look at the Halo Vapour?. Quite a bit lighter than the Chaos (perhaps not quite as tough though), not quite as wide as the EX, but in 650b comparison it is 95g lighter, tubless ready, and comes in some funky colours!.

Ive gone for a set of white ones..... :wink: to replace my 5 year old 719s which had been battered to death!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ryde trace trail. Lighter than flow ex , as strong and stiff in my view. Wider internal width than new hopes for better tyre profile. Fantastic

Northwind

Ordered an i25 in the end- I think the Vapour and Ryde rims are maybe a bit on the lighter duty side of what I was after but the WTB seems spot on, and a good price too. Cheers!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Spec me a rim? Flow Ex replacement’ is closed to new replies.