Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Spec me a… 100mm, 31.6 seatpost, light but not racy cheap 29er hardtail?
  • Northwind

No sense in not being demanding I reckon. I just built a Scandal and it’s a rocket but I’m not mad keen on the general shape of it. I’d stick with it but also it’s 27.2 so won’t take any of my dropper posts, which it turns out bothers me a lot. So, I could obviously get a 27.2 dropper but if I’m not in love with the frame, maybe it makes sense to swap that instead

So yeah. Something sort of “race bike for someone who is used to 65 degree head angles”, not too heavy, more relaxed geometry, that can take my other stuff. Oh and that won’t cost me too much above and beyond what a shabby Scandal sells for. Does it exist? I’ve not been paying attention to hardtails for a while.

If not, I will stick with the scandal for a while I reckon but it’d be nice to sidestep it all. Cheers!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Kinesis FF29? Maybe a bit racy, park wood?

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have a very cheap ff29 frame in medium I am about to advertise.

johnnystorm

On One Lurcher?

nickdavies

FF29 would fit the bill but it’s not that light and definitely on the racier side of angles. Tackles harder stuff a lot better than the numbers make you think it would though.

Parkwood would be the obvious choice for a slightly slacker bike, would be about 69deg head angle with 100mm fork, same weight as ff29. They really need to do a c456 in 29..

Northwind

FF29 looks a bit too close to the Scandal and not light, but might still work… How much did you have in mind fd3chris?

Parkwood is actually a really good call, again not light but ticks every other box… Thanks for that, that’s very close to perfect

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just built up a Stanton Sherpa with a Thomson dropper, nice and slack with a 120mm Reba fork but will take a 100mm one, but not 31.6(just sell it for a 30.9). Weighs in at 27.1lb and gorgeous in emerald green

Northwind

31.6 is that i can borrow the KS from my other bike so it wouldn’t work out to sell. Nice bike though!

fd3chris
    Free Member

frame with headset £200 posted insured. I can get pics if your interested .

RoterStern
    Free Member

Can’t you borrow a 27.5 dropper like a LEV to see if it’s any better? Since changing to using a dropper post I hate descending on my other bikes without it. Sure this isn’t the main issue with your frame?

slackman99
    Free Member

Check out my for sale ad as it sounds like you’re describing a trek stache.

NormalMan

Solaris? (used)

Might ‘push the budget’ it a bit though.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Drop by Inners and have a look at my Kona Honzo if you like.

core

Parkwood is ‘optimised’ for a 120mm fork, and has integrated headset, front could be a tad low and spoil the handling on 100mm forks?

swanny853

Iirc the ff29 is almost identical angles to the Solaris. I’ve got mine (solaris) set up with a 55mm stem and 740 bars, 100mm forks and a dropper- with some judicious changing of tyres it can walk a good line between racier and trailier (that’s a term, right?).

Kinesis takes the win on weight, although the lurched isn’t a bad shout if you don’t mind the press fit bb

Clink

Isn’t Lurcher same geo as the Scandal?

cp

A newer scandal with the 31.6 post? Pop an angleset in it to slacken slightly.

Or a parkwood.

piemonster

Im very VERY happy with my FF29

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

Kona Taro – with a few upgrades. Slack, short-arsed, light and fun.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Maybe not cheap, but the Titus Fireline matches your requirements.

scandal42
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to find one of these recently
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Niner-EMD-9-Frame-2011

Its simply awesome

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have a mate that said he would sell his early 18″ fireline (fileline) for sensible money, mail me if you want me to ask him exactly how much is sensible 🙂

core

Northwind, I know you posted on my thread about my scandal that I wasn’t loving, there have been some developments……

Mine is a large (19.5″) mk2 29er, standard headset. Straight seat post, 6ft tall.

I cut the bars down to 710mm, stuck a 90mm stem on, moved the seat forward a whisker, and took it out again today, 12 mile ride of back lane/green lane/bridleway.

Result – I’m in love with it again! Doesn’t feel too stretched at all, climbs better, and for that sort of riding, it’s perfect, it’s so quick, I overtook 3 roadies (oap’s on
    tour probably….) and didn’t see them again! 😳
    Maybe try a slack set in yours (not sure if yours is tapered)? What sort of riding do you have in mind for it?

core

bigjim

lurcher (if you can still get them) and slackset? light and cheap but not very sexy. high top tube doesn’t cause me any problems on xc type stuff.

Rickos
    Free Member

Voodoo Bizango. Serious fun and cheap too if you can get a frame second hand. Got mine for £100 off here and it’s really rather good. Ken has the 120mm forks, but would be fine with 100mm too. Probably.

Northwind

@core- I actually do like the bike, I just don’t love it (yet), if it would take one of my droppers I’d keep it… But I reckon I could find something I like more and considering the price of getting a dropper for it, it works out pretty neutral to try something else I think.

Solaris- I am a fanboi but it pushes the budget and the weight. If I was building a day-to-day bike it’d be in with a shout but this is more stupid-3rd-bike.

Some emails due to folks I reckon!

Cheers all, very helpful this. If nothing else it’s good to know options.

core

Perhaps you just need a MK2 frame

Rickos
    Free Member

EDIT – Balls!

Here – https://flic.kr/p/sEuZS6

Voodoo Bizango geometry.

Northwind

Righto… After much consideration, it’s only 2 weeks to the gt7 so not really much time to sort out replacements. So I’ve ordered a Tmars dropper for it since they’re so cheap, and applied some of the all important Team Glentress Mincer race stickers, plus a TF Tuned one on one leg of the rigid forks and an Ohlins one on the other, and I think it is now good 😆

But, I’m posting just to say thanks for all the suggestions, I’ve got an ebay watchlist a mile long now and I might well make use of it. So nearly bought that Fileline! So, thanks everyone!

mboy
    Free Member

How tall are you, and what size do you normally ride?

Northwind

I’m 5’10 so generally a medium. The fit- reach etc- feels really good tbh. I had a 26er Scandal a long time ago, which had the same instantly-familiar feel (er, and a C456 and 4 Ragleys so I guess I just fit medium brantbikes)

I’m enjoying the attitude of the thing, what I’m hoping is that with the dropper, I just start enjoying it more for what it is, and for what it’s not.

mboy
    Free Member

Ah ok, same height as me then. Selling my GF’s old FF29 at the moment, but will be too small for you being a small.

On that note anyway, from what you describe, I’d definitely go with an FF29 anyway. I loved my Sync which is largely the same geometry only different material, the FF29 is a fantastically capable bike that really rewards. It gets written off by lots of people because it’s not a slack trail thrasher, nor is it a superlightweight XC race machine. The thing is, it’s a jack of all trades frame. At 4lb for the frame, it’s light enough to race for certain. With a 120-130mm fork in there, it’s relaxed enough to keep up with the big boys on more gnarly terrain. If you found a medium FF29 at the right price, I’d go for it personally… Can’t help out on a 2nd hand medium sized bike, but possibility I could help out if you were looking brand new.

dknwhy

I’m selling my 2013 Scott scale 960 (medium) if you’re interested? I’m a similar height to you. Want £500 for it.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Spec me a… 100mm, 31.6 seatpost, light but not racy cheap 29er hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.