Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Speak to me about organic fruit and veg boxes.
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Are they worth it?

If so, who is good to get them from round Edinburgh?

druidh
    Free Member

Speak to (TBC)Mark

geetee1972
    Free Member

Organic fruit and veg? What, as opposed to inorganic ones?

imnotverygood

You will end up throwing away a lot of ethically produced farm produce.

(assuming you mean the ones where they deliver a selection of seasonal fruit & veg each week)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I used to get mine from Bellfield Organics in Fife (Newburgh?) but I stopped because it seemed to be an expensive way to stockpile spuds…

You get some really lovely seasonal stuff like beetroot and purple-sprouting broccoli but mostly it’s spuds.

I will use them again, but only when the tasty stuff is in season rather than every week/fortnight. Very good service from them, by the way.

molgrips
    Free Member

We had a sample one. It was supposed to be local stuff but apparently they weren’t that keen on the localness because it was just generic fruit and veg from all over the world. Charlatans. I wanted local and seasonal, to avoid the food miles.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Slap an organic label on something and easily part fools from their money. Putting my cynical view to one side, you’d be better of going to a farmers market if you want a decent selection, I remember getting fed up of beetroot when we did it. Also wasn’t impressed with the apples from New Zealand. Try Craigie farm, it’s not far from you.

flap_jack
    Free Member

IMO Riverford very good, but I don’t think they do Scotland yet. They are edging northwards though.

alexpalacefan

I’ve been doing it for years, love it.

Makes you a much better cook as you have to be imaginative to use it up. Get a good vegetarian cook book so you’re nut just boiling or steaming everything Fearnley-Whitingstall’s is great.

Healthy, got to eat loads of veg to get through it.

Cheaper. You’d be surprised how much tesco et al charge for stuff we no-longer instinctively know the price of, always more than my current box provider. And with all your fresh delivered you’re not in the supermarket all the time, which saves a bunch on impulse purchases

Also it depends why your doing it. If it’s to be an ethical consumer, only eating local and seasonal veg, and your box scheme provides that it’s fantastic.

I would say give it a go, you can always stop.

APF

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Speak to me about organic fruit and veg boxes.’ is closed to new replies.