Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • SPD SL, cant get the cleat positioning right.
  • _tom_
    Free Member

I finally put my spd sl pedals on a few weeks ago but I cant get the cleats positioned as comfy as my old mtb style spuds. The left foot is perfect, really comfy and feels great, but I just cant get the right one comfortable at all – foot feels pointed outwards a bit too much and its not far enough back which causes cramp in the arch of my foot. The angle is also causing knee pains after riding. I have the cleat positioned as far back and angled inwards as I can get it but its not right. Is there much I can do about this, different cleats or something?

Its dhb road shoes with shimano spd sl pedals (cheapest ones) btw.

crikey
    Free Member

I’d set it up with as neutral a position as you can, then go out for a potter about and see how altering it helps.

Sometimes, some shoe drillings are just not right for you; I had a pair of DMT shoes that I really liked the look of, but I couldn’t get the cleats far enough forward on the shoes to allow me to ride as I wanted, so they had to go…

_tom_
    Free Member

Im trying to get it neutral now but cant get it in far enough to angle my foot so that it all sits straight like my left leg.

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t try to make your foot straight!

If you force your foot straight when it wants to point in or out you will mess up the knee really quickly.

I ride with my right foot turned out, but my left straight and have done for years.

_tom_
    Free Member

Hmm well thats how I have it set now and it doesn’t feel right at all. Definitely getting more knee problems than I did with both feet straight like on my old pedals and shoes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘SPD SL, cant get the cleat positioning right.’ is closed to new replies.