Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • SPD shoes for all day at work …… plus the commute
  • trisysjoint

Anyone got any good suggestions on spd’s that could be worn all day long at work that don’t look too dissimilar to “normal” shoes.
    I have a pair of Giro alpineduro boots which work well but they will be a bit too much for warmer times if we ever get any.
    Generally need to wear jeans and a shirt kind of work wear.

zilog6128

There are a few niche brands that do more normal looking SPD shoes (Quoc Pham, Chrome, DZR) but they’re all quite expensive so I’ve never taken a punt on them. Also I suspect being a good cycling shoe is a secondary characteristic so I just keep some normal shoes at work to change into.

gonzy
    Free Member

shimano am45 or the mt34

binners

I find Northwaves like these are a nice happy medium that are comfy to wear all day

zilog6128

AM45 is OK I think, looks sort of like a chunky trainer. Probably look alright with jeans (good shoes as well!) Still not as comfy as a proper shoe as the sole is pretty stiff. MT34 best reserved for those who consider cheap Karrimor trekking shoes acceptable daily footwear.

Sam

Been down this road in the past and always ended up just leaving a couple of pairs of normal shoes at work.

trisysjoint

Aye Carumba those QuocPham are pricey !!
    Thanks for suggestions so far.

Didn’t see those other Giro Rumble when I got the alpineduro boots. They look like a good option.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do you hate your feet ?

they wont thank you for the rigid sole all day every day.

drlex
    Free Member

I have had a couple of pairs of DZRs; one pair only managed a year’s use before cracking across the cleat mounting plate. Otherwise comfy and discrete. Can be found reduced at SportPursuit or at sites like Always Riding.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Am sitting here in my Shimano MT34’s as I type……….

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I used to wear 661 Filters all day (plain black ones)
    But then I simply bought another pair of shoes to leave at work. Result.

benp1

Wouldn’t it just be easier to leave shoes in that workplace?

woodster

I’ve got some Chrome Kursk Pros. Nice and subtle in the black, comfortable and tough as anything (mine still look brand new 2 years later). Some surfaces can sound a bit clicky/scrapey though and they obviously aren’t as flexible as a normal shoe. They’re also my only SPD shoe so they get used for all my roadie cycling.

Recommended. Think I got mine for £55 or so.

atlaz
    Free Member

Seems like you’re compromising on both riding and walking. Spend the money on work shoes, change when you get there.

bitasuite
    Free Member

I’ve got the Giro Rumbles (linked above) and wear them on the bike then all day walking around at work. Comfortable and look like normal trainers. Recommend.

mikekay
    Free Member

Why not just get some good flat peddles then ware what ever shoe you want !?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Teva Pivot?

Found them extemely comfortable & cheap at the moment – can be had for £40.

mlke
    Free Member

If I had to wear one pair then probably a soft soled Shimano SPD touring or trail shoe. Best option is to have two pairs of shoes for the different tasks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I leave shoes at work, which has reminds me I walked home last night so need to take shoes in…

kimbers

661 filters do this well

But leaving shoes in work is bettter

thecaptain
    Free Member

I have some shimano brown and black suede shoes that I can wear all day (may depend on your attitude to two-colour suede). Won’t be made now, had them for about 10 years but keep them good for the rare occasions that I need them. I’d always leave “indoor” shoes for a regular office commute though.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve been doing this for years – largely out of laziness, and not being arsed to change when I get to work, especially if I’m only going to be in the office for an hour or 2 before heading out to site. (and my steelies are heavy and less comfortable than my SPDs)

Any black/grey generic trainery type SPD works for me. Currently on Tevas, but have been through a few pairs of Shimanos, which generally seem to last longer than almost anything else.

Sole stiffness, or lack of it doesn’t really bother me. Comfy shoes are comfy shoes.

As above Quac Pham do some “traditional” looking stuff, and Giro do some fairly smart looking models too. If you’re near London, Condor generally have a decent selection of this kind of thing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘SPD shoes for all day at work …… plus the commute’ is closed to new replies.