• This topic has 21 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • SPD pedals for first time user
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Hi, any recommendations for SPD pedals for someone that has never used them before? Hope to learn from other’s experience! Thanks

thepurist

Bog standard shimano, slacken the tension right off, get the cleats aligned properly (let your feet dangle and see where they point), practice unclipping before you stop, be prepared to fall over at least once or twice.

martymac

+1 for the above advice.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use Shimano for your first go personally.  My missus was nearly put off by using Shimano and a few of her mates were the same.

Gave my wife my Time Atac MX4 pedals and she felt instantly confident with them.  I use Shimano, but I could probably get used to pretty much any brand.  The Times are just really easy.

ta11pau1

I’d say the opposite, Shimano SPD’s are much easier to release from,they’ve not got as much float which gives and earlier release. And there’s the multi-release cleats if they want a super-easy way of unclipping.

joebristol

Ive always found Time really easy to click in and out of. In terms of clicking in you don’t need to be as accurate with placement of your foot.

That said, the cheapest Shimano SPD for around £20 is also fine really – as above just start with a slack tension on it so they release easily.

I’d avoid most of the platform spds as threybare often harder to click into (I have Nukeproof horizons and they are a little harder to get clicked in) and they can be a bit harder to click out of with certain shoes.

CraigW
    Free Member

If you want it really easy to clip in/clip out, you could try the Shmano Click’R pedals. They are designed to need much less tension.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shimano are cheap, that is the selling point. For nice clipping in and out I’d still go back to a set of something Crank Brothers.Easy in and predictable out. No tension to worry about as if you slacken it too much you have too much chance to rip your foot out or unclip by mistake

cynic-al
    Free Member

Grease your cleat bolts .

lesgrandepotato

Sounds mad. But shimano xtrs. I’ve got 3 sets two of them over 10years old. They are light, basically indestructible and if you average the value out. Very very cheap.

welshfarmer

Something I only recently learnt about Shimano SPD cleats. There are essentially 2 types. The standard single release ones (SH51 SPD) that most will use as they tend to ship with pedals, and the 2 way ones (SH56 SPD) which are much, much easier to release. I have just used a set of these in the Alps and found them to be much nicer to use in sketchy terrain and, although they are far easier to release in any direction, I never unintentionally lost a pedal, even rattling down the black EWS runs at La Thuile.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Plus one for the multi release cleats. First time I used spds I had the normal cleats and it really put me off. Went back to them using the multi release cleats and found it way easier. So long as you arent relying on being clipped in to jump then there are no down sides as far as I can see, I still use them 5 years later because as above, on sketchy terrain you can get your foot out as easy as a flat pedal. Plus they have the advantage of pedalling like a clipped in pedal

I have never once unintentionally unclipped in all that time.

antigee

Something I only recently learnt about Shimano SPD cleats. There are essentially 2 types. The standard single release ones (SH51 SPD) that most will use as they tend to ship with pedals, and the 2 way ones (SH56 SPD) which are much, much easier to release

forgotten that was just about to go root in boxes for some for mrs antigee’s new shoes  – oddly her old ones are unpainted and seem to be marked SH51 (I prefer SH56)  – now I thought the single release ones came in black to differentiate without squinting at the markings? love the way shimano always marks part numbers – so civilised

as to learning to use my advice that I’ve found worked with those not willing to try due to fear of cocking up is if not got one beg the loan of a turbo trainer and in 30mins or so will have the hang of it – or spin bike at the gym – lots of these have shimano spd compatible pedals – though may need to try a couple of bikes as sometimes a bit knackered

kilo

Shimano are cheap, that is the selling point.

That and reliability, we’ve got pairs that have been used for years, ease of use and the fact that they just work.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Time Atac user and I haven’t tried anything else ..

Resign yourself to the fact that you are going to forget that you are clipped in ..and that it is probably going to hurt when you fall sideways and you will get there in the end ..

Use threadlock when first securing the cleats to your shoes..if you want to use your shoes more than the life of one set of cleats !

Good luck ! 😁

blitz

Consider Shimano M530s. Cost a few quid more than the basic M520s but have the extra platform around them. I find this helps on the MTB particulaly if you’ve unclipped for something like a foot dab, you can still get a pedal stroke or two in just using the platform if you haven’t quite engaged and clipped back in.

uphilla
    Free Member

Thank you all, that is really helpful!

Andy-R

I never use threadlock on cleat bolts but I do use copper grease on both the threads and the countersunk part and I undo them and re-grease them from time to time. It’s easier than having to drill them out.

hollyboni
    Free Member

Get any pedal and shoe, ride them, fall over once, keep riding them and you probably won’t fall over again.

Don’t overthink it. If you keep thinking “OMG I hope i’m not going to fall over” then you are definitely  going to fall over. Just ride the thing and clipping out will turn into a reflex. No big deal, tons of people ride clipless.

DezB
    Free Member

As above, everyone gets used to them pretty easily. My son fell over once (on nice hard concrete) on his first ride with them and not fallen over since. That said, he has gone back to flats now 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

Shimano M530 + multi-release cleats + some trainer or flat style SPD shoes.

In terms of technique I think the most common cause of not unclipping is being too tense, if you get used to lifting or turning your foot out with a ‘loose’ ankle then it’ll come out easily when you want / need it to.

IHN

Get any pedal and shoe, ride them, fall over once, keep riding them and you probably won’t fall over again.

Don’t overthink it. If you keep thinking “OMG I hope i’m not going to fall over” then you are definitely  going to fall over. Just ride the thing and clipping out will turn into a reflex. No big deal, tons of people ride clipless.

This. They’re all basically the same, and you’ll get used to the idiosyncrasies of whichever particular type you’e using pretty quickly (after the obligatory early-stage sideways tumble)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘SPD pedals for first time user’ is closed to new replies.