Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Spd pedals
  • lesgrandepotato

I need a new set of pedals for the gravel bike.
    I’ve got XTR’s on a couple of other bikes. The gravel is not so special. (Topstone Carbon apex)

Where is the trade off in value. 520’s? XT? or do I just spring for another set of xtrs? What about these trail cage jobbies worth it for a gravel wagon?

ElShalimo

I got the double sided XT7000 recently

I like them

devash
    Free Member

520s will do just fine. I have XT M8100s on the good bike and yes, they are nicer looking and slightly lighter, but I picked them up for about half the price they are now. Wouldn’t pay the current 80-odd quid.

I had a pair of 520s that did 8,000 miles and were still in almost perfect condition. Gave them to a chap who bought a bike off me and they are still going strong. Think I paid £15 for them. Even at £30 they’re a bargain.

The trail cage ones help protect the mechanism and make it slightly easier to clip in when you’re hurtling down steep stuff, at the expense of a good chunk of extra weight. OK for a trail bike, pointless for a gravel muncher.

chestrockwell

I have XT’s with the cage and 520’s without. For what you describe just get the cheapest 520’s you can find. I did, mine are white but do the job just fine.

ceramicmatt

520s do the job perfectly

mjsmke

520’s last for years. 540’s do too, are slightly nicer looking but not sure what else is different.

dc1988

I just got some second hand M8000’s, look nicer than 520’s, cheaper than a new set of them and lighter/look nicer. Cages are pointless on a gravel bike IMO

bails

I think 540s have a regular axle nut but the 520s have a weird one that needs a special Shimano tool, so the 540s are easier to service.

I’ve got XTs with a cage on the MTB and 540s on the road bike, and used to have 520s. They all feel identical in use, other than the bigger platform of the XTs.

therevokid
    Free Member

540’s … can’t remember how old 1 pair is but I bought them from noah
    when he moved to his boat 🙂
    Totally bombproof (or me proof and given my riding skillset means they’re tough !)

dc1988

Once you have the tool I find the 520’s easier to service as you can put the tool in a vice and place the pedal so it points upwards making adjusting the bearings much easier.

hp_source

I got a pair of these about 18 months back and they’ve been spot on, look and perform a lot better than the £24 suggests

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/pedals-pegs/boardman-mtb-team-pedal-357756.html

willard

Another vote for 520s. My commuter has them and they still keep going even after four years of city filth.

bails

I had a pair of the Boardman ones. They never felt as smooth to clip in or out as the Shimanos. I often ended up kind of half clipped in where the cleat was snagged in the pedal but not actually fully engaged. And then I’d have to twist my foot slightly further to get out of them.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve had a few pairs of xtr, 1replaced on warranty and I had to buy a broken pair to fix the other. I wouldn’t buy another.

Price if pedals have risen loads lately. During covid I couldn’t get hold of any at a reasonable price so took a punt on some Halfords ones after a psa on here. They’ve been fine so far.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/pedals-pegs/boardman-mtb-team-pedal-357756.html?_gl=1*1jyk7uf*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6_CYBhDjARIsABnuSzolgF7Tr29HuHN8MDN6mKfSJ02PAVkcihEE5FVVLUh0_Po0eBZAB-waAgRcEALw_wcB

£24 double sided pedals with cleats and weigh 331g

cookeaa

VFM Vs function Vs durability M520 make lots of sense. There might be benefits to spending more but it becomes a l diminishing returns discussion at some point and as you said:

The gravel is not so special.

You won’t notice…

binners

All Shimano SPD’s are completely indestructible.

520’s are all you’ll ever need really

MrSalmon
    Free Member

If you’re not set on double sided, how about Shimano PD-A600s? Very happy with mine. I should say though I do ride mostly road, and when it’s not road it’s not very techy.

irc

+1 for the A600s. However they appear to have been discontinued. Nearest current model theES600.

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/shimano/es600-spd-pedals-933687

stevious

I’ve gone for 540s cos I find them easier to service. I had the shimano tool but no vice so there was no advantage. I think they go longer between services as well, but it’s more like 5 years rather than 3 so neither is exactly a hassle

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have recently replaced a couple of pairs of M520s as they had started to squeak as I rode. The bearings were fine, it was shallow groves worn into the stainless top surfaces where the edges of the cleat have pressed on each pedal stroke. I got new 520s WITH cleats for less than £18 from Amazon.

Neb

As another alternative to m540s, the look x track are an option. Bit nicer looking, slightly larger contact patch and can go a little looser on the release mechanism if you want. Same cleats too.

theotherjonv

just a query – when you say 540’s look nicer, when I’m using my bike for its intended purpose, you can’t see the pedals. If you can, it’s gone wrong. Or is there a niche of carrying round pictures of my bike for regular perusal that I’m missing out on?

520’s all the way. If revokid has a pair of 540’s he got from Noah, I’ve got a pair of 520’s that can’t be carbon dated because they predate carbon, from a time when hydrogen and helium were the only game in town. And 520 pedals, obvs.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.