Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SPD M540 (play in)
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Hi

Just fitted my first SPD’s to my bike and found that the cleats rotate about in them a bit. I didn’t notice this when I tried out a friends spd’s with the same cleats so I’m wondering if this is normal or if I should fit the new cleats I got with them? I tried tightening the spring a bit but it doesn’t seem to make a difference other than to the release sensitivity. They are Shimano cleats btw.

Cheers.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

slop usually down to worn cleats. New ones always feel nice, esp on pullup sprinting.

Spring adjustment is only for release tension.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks!

nuke

Slop or float though? Bit of float is good for my knees. Can’t remember last time I changed cleats on my shoes…I must just like them sloppy 😕

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

😮 What’s slop and what’s float? I’d imagine a bit of movement is good but this feels a bit much.

nuke

Which direction is the movement that’s a bit much? SPDs have a fair amount of float (Not as much as Time pedals) allowing your foot to rotate horizontally on the pedal.

I always know if I’ve set my cleats up correctly as when I pedal, if it’s not correct, through each pedal revolution I will feel my knee want to twist slightly but is stopped by my foot being unable to rotate on the pedal.

:edit: It’s probably best not to over analyse and better to just go ride. Give the ones you’ve got on a try. If you think it’s still too much movement, try the new cleats.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK. I got impatient and put the new cleats on :-). They feel a little tighter. Not been out for a ride yet, just sitting on my bike in the living room. I’ll go out in a bit when my dinners gone down.

The movement is horizontal and my heel moves from side to side by about 1.5 inches each way before it stops.

I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds perfectly normal to me.
    You don’t really want your foot held rigidly as it tends to knacker up your knees.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK that’s great thanks.

Stoner
    Free Member

yep float is the rotational movement which stops you making a hash of your knees.

“slop” is just the cleat moving around in the pedal sideways (non rotation) and especially up and down (away from the pedal bed) I HATE that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SPD M540 (play in)’ is closed to new replies.