• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Akers.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SPD footwear for hike a bike
  • wzzzz
    Free Member

I’m doing a fair amount of pushing and carrying my bike up lake district mountains.

My shimano m087 xc type shoes aren’t particularly stable or grippy (narrow sole with lumpy grips) when hiking up, and the toe box is not well protected from flying rocks kicked up on the way down.

I wear with waterproof socks so feet are comfy, and I like how quickly the shoes dry out as well vented.

What alternatives do people use? I like the idea of hiking boot style but can only find shimano xm9 in my size.

Anyone got these? Do they get sweaty in warm weather? Take ages to dry out?

Anything else out there? I need a 43 or 44

AlasdairMc

I don’t have XM9s, but I’m going to buy a pair soon to replace my MT91s that I’ve had for years and years.

I also have MO89s, and they’re far too stiff for hike a bike. The MT91s are great all year round though. I don’t wear waterproof socks as the boot covers that, instead going for Wooly Boolies all the time. The MT91s aren’t insulated at all, so they dry relatively quickly, but you still have a waterproof boot that can need emptied if the water gets in the big hole at the top.

isoo
    Free Member

I’ve got Mavic Crossmax SL Thermos for the wet season. The soles are good on rock and mud/snow too. Waterproof and lightly insulated. I’m comfortable in them between 10 and -3 or so.

Style is more Batman than hiking boot, though.

scotroutes

I was a fan of the Northwave Gran Canions but tend to ride on flats these days. They have a Vibram sole.

oldnpastit

I walked up a fair bit of Cadair Idris in Specialized sport mtb shoes. They were fine, no problems on the last section of clambering.

Fat-boy-fat

I’ve got XM9s. On my 2nd pair. I don’t find they get sweaty and they dry out quick enough for me. No problems with grip either. The only bad bit is the lace tensioner thing, which does disintegrate over time. Saying that, I have taken to wearing “summer shoes” for a good part of the year, just not for hike a bike.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have XM9’s. They’ve done at least a dozen munros and are as comfortable and grippy as my normal boots. Couldn’t be happier with them.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Northwave gran canion looks good but can’t find my size anywhere.

mavics I’m not convinced on the sole grip… plus they are a million quid.

I think I will order up some xm9s, looks like probikekit have them discounted to £127.

Where did you get yours from fat-boy-fat / how did you wear the first pair out?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

74718058_560355717864631_1064456010216767488_n

72625281_547714272698176_1519442795192909824_n

z1ppy

will replace my mt91’s with XM9’s when the time comes, best all round boot, for me.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Dare I suggest to give flat pedals a try? You’ll find the amazing world of shoes you can perfectly walk on while also improving your riding (at least in my case)

Fat-boy-fat

On the XM9s, I slashed the side of one of them on a particularly sharp bit of slate that kicked up. Lucky it hit my boot, not my shin. I do find they size up a bit small. I had MT91s before the XM9s. I’d actually say they were a bit bit better quality but they eventually fell apart.

On both types of boot, they aren’t the warmest. I use heated in soles in the depths of winter, even with a thick pair of merino wool socks.

Can’t remember where I bought them though. A N other internet shop probably.

wzzzz
    Free Member

@zezaskar no no no I’ve been riding spd on MTB for 25 years, I hate not being attached to the bike on steep tech!

@esselgruntfuttock
    thats the kind of tread I want! Gaerne!? can’t see a similar model now

@Fat-boy-fat
    good to hear they didn’t fail miserably

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

@wzzz, yep Gearne Lapo’s. 2nd pair i’ve had. 1’st pair came apart at the soles after a Torridon hike but they were so comfy i got some more, these have a much harder sole compound. Had to get them from Germany though cos i couldn’t find any in the UK. Size 10’s too. I think they were around the £50-60 mark.
    Those Shimano XM9’s need to be good at the price they are.

https://www.gambacicli.com/en/gaerne-lapo-carbon-mtb-freeride-shoes.html

snotrag

Shimano ME7 with Michelin Sole are really good for hike a bike.

null

Eta – lasting better than all my previous shoes too, hard-wearing and good in the cold and wet.

james
    Free Member

Also interested after specialized have decided to drop their vibram/chunky sole options for the UK. Bring back the rime! It still exists in the US?

scuttler

Laces or ratchets / boa (or not bothered)?

oldnpastit

Also interested after specialized have decided to drop their vibram/chunky sole options for the UK. Bring back the rime! It still exists in the US?

I’ve gone from a Rime to an MTB Sport. The Rime was great (it’s finally falling apart too much to repair after many years of use), but the Sport, so far, seems just as good for the walking I’ve been doing.

40mpg

XM9s in winter, Shimano MT3 in summer. I can safely carry a tray of drinks in the pub, plus they are shower proof in case I do splash a bit. Winner.

null

Akers

XM9’s for me too. Did a 2 hour hike-a-bike in the Pyrenees over boulder fields to get to a trail last week and plenty of other wet scrambles throughout the week. Boots were comfy, dry and grippy throughout. Bit heavy duty for summer riding though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘SPD footwear for hike a bike’ is closed to new replies.