• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by dc1988.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Spd compatible pedal with cages
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

I would like some new pedals for my single speed / trail / bridleways bashing bike. All my shoes and other bike with clipless are on spds so I don’t want to buy a pair of shoes or be swapping cleats. Never had a cage before but fancy one for those slipped clip-ins. What is out there that is:
    #1. spd compatible.
    #2. has a cage for a little stability
    #3. Double sided (e.g. not the funn ones)
    #4. Not horrendously expensive.

shimanos own offerings look crap. Nukproof looks good and like the only alternative? Funn do a single sided but I am not sure I am sold on that idea, anyone got one? Seems expensive as well.

Must be more than just nukeproof?

nbt

Shimano M324 pedal (spd one side, flat on the other)

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m324-combination-pedals

with a set of zefal half toe clips on the flat side
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/zefal-half-toe-clips-45/rp-prod164534

TheBrick
    Free Member

that’s single sided I am afraid

Conan257
    Free Member

SPD with cage and not stupid expensive go-to is the Shimano M530…. They come in pretty cheap compared to the rest of the market, and generally work for the rest of eternity with no maintenance.

dc1988

The Shimano Saint has a proper cage, none of their trail pedals do. Nukeproof aand DMR v twin are the only others that spring to mind.

JAG

I’ve just replaced some Fire-eye pedals with the Nukeproof Horizon.

The Nukeproof just work, relatively easy to get into (easier than the Fire-eye anyway) slightly smaller cage but none the worse for that.

I smashed one of the Fire-eye pedals while riding my new, LLS bike, through a rock garden – badly!

nbt

that’s single sided I am afraid

Sorry I’ve misunderstood what you want then. You want a double sided SPD pedal *with toe clips*? I don’ think you’re going to get one Or a double sided SPD pedal not with toe clips, but with a platform / cage around it so you can use it with flat shoes? If the latter look for DH SPD pedals like so:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/nukeproof-horizon-cl-crmo-downhill-pedals

but if you;re not clipped in, then it won’t be great, honest (yes I’ve tried)

Or something else?

Yak

DX or Saint for more £££s.

a11y

Hope Union TC or GC? I’ve no experience of them and not really of interest to me as Shimano PD-M530s work fine for me, but could be another option worth looking at.

joebristol

I’ve got the Nukeproof Horizons which I use sporadically as I mostly ride flats. They’re actually really easy to get in and out of and genuinely feel better to me than non-caged spds. I tried some light Boardman spds with no cages but I mashed up one of my feet – I think because the contact point is small / perhaps the shoes weren’t stiff enough to make up for that.

So I went Horizon with Shimano AM7’s and haven’t looked back. Ace for stuff like BPW where you’re battering through things and don’t want to risk losing a foot off the pedal.

Note there are 2 sizes of the horizons – one with a big square cage (what I have) and one with more rounded corners that make the overall pedal smaller.

One thing to bear in mind is xc style spd shoes with big chunky outsoles for grip off the bike don’t work well with horizon style spds with pins on the cages – they get caught and make it hard to get in / out. Ask me how I know 🙈

TheBrick
    Free Member

SPD with cage and not stupid expensive go-to is the Shimano M530

Yeah they are the shimano ones I didn’t like. Looks like the cage would be slippy when you mis clip compared to the nukeproof

Sorry I’ve misunderstood what you want then. You want a double sided SPD pedal *with toe clips*? I

Nope, spd on both side with a cage round them like the nukeproof horizon. I should have given an example. Funn for example do a “better” version of what you linkned to, flat pedal on one side spd on the other.https://www.wiggle.co.uk/funn-mamba-mountain-bike-pedals?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=440322&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjwk_WVBhBZEiwAUHQCmXsiqXIPK9X_AsM6Zl8zVW5kb2b47yNOLHrBCMP6yUze02zWT1DlqxoCtHkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

One thing to bear in mind is xc style spd shoes with big chunky outsoles for grip off the bike don’t work well with horizon style spds with pins on the cages – they get caught and make it hard to get in / out. Ask me how I know

Ok a very interesting point. I have some old xc style spd shoes, some “touring” spd shoes and the winter spd. The winter and xc ones defiantly have that chunky sole thing.

Looks like the nukeproof, hope or DMR are the options. Thanks guys / girls / other.

pothead
    Free Member

shimanos own offerings look crap. Nukproof looks good

Never used them personally but a mate has a pair of Nukeproof pedals and said that while they are compatible with Shimano cleats they work far better with Nukeproofs own

joebristol

They definitely work better with the Nukeproof cleats. Shimano ones work but they’re harder to get clipped into. Fine once in and fine to get out.

dc1988

With the shoe compatibility, it’s not that easy. It’s really a case of trial and error depending on the shoe/pedal combination that you run. You can add cleat spacers to stop interference between the sole and the pins(and also lower the pins). I get on best with Enduro style shoes and caged clip in pedals. XC style shoes are too stiff and won’t ever contact the cage, I found DH style shoes too flexible and contacted the cage too much and made it near impossible to clip in or out without completely winding in the pins (which missed the point of having the cage imo). Touring style shoes actually worked really well for me, nicely flexible and with not too aggressive of a sole.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.