Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sparky for oven
  • kevonakona
    Free Member

Do i need an electrician to install a new electric oven? Surely it’s straight forward enough.

At £50 for installation i’m kinda wondering why.

Technically you don’t need a Part P sparky, as you aren’t installing a new circuit.

However, dependant on your competancy I’d still recommend getting someone in who is capable.

If you are doing it, isolate the supply and connect red (or brown) to live, black (or blue) to neutral and green/yellow to earth and make sure there is no copper showing, there is plenty of copper in the terminal and everything is tight using the right sized screwdriver for the terminal.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I know I will probably get flamed for this, but your oven might come fitted with a 13 amp plugtop! If so happy days if not, decent 1.5 flex and a plug and away you go. Obviously check the kW rating of the oven but most single ovens won’t need anything bigger cable wise than flex IME.

MrOvershoot

I would question only using 1.5mm even on a single oven?
    2.5mm for a single oven & 4mm for a double as a minimum in my book

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Double wil probably need 4 or 6mm cable, most single ovens can be fitted with a 13A plug

kevonakona
    Free Member

it’s replacing the one that’s there.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I am not a sparky,but your new oven will never come with a plug fitted because of the wattage output. If you are taking out a old oven then just make sure that the output of the new one is the same as the old one.
    If you don,t then the cable will be to small and it will get hot and cause a fire.

saladdodger
    Free Member

MrOvershoot – Member

Sorry but you will find that 1.5mm flex is ok for a 3kw oven, your kettle is wired in 1.5mm I think you will find. 1.5mm T&E is only rated at 12A according to the regs

saladdodger
    Free Member

MrOvershoot – Member

Sorry but you will find that 1.5mm flex is ok for a 3kw oven, your kettle is wired in 1.5mm I think you will find. 1.5mm T&E is only rated at 12A according to the regs

sorry I am repeating myself

giant_scum
    Free Member

Saladdodger you beat me to it.

Was at a job the other day and a full size telecoms cabin was powered from a 13amp plug, had been like that for at least 10 years! We thought that was well dodgy turns out the cabin was only drawing 10 amps.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Be careful wiring, it up. I tried it myself, but i must have got something the wrong way round and I had to use it as a freezer until it was fixed.

MrOvershoot

Mmmm so you run your kettle for a couple of hours at a time do you?

I’m fully aware of cable sizes and their current capacity, but all the terminations on cookers I have seen are constructed for a much larger x section than 1.5mm & for the sake of a bit of safety would it hurt to use a bit of 2.5 or 4mm?

turin
    Free Member

Have a look in the manual and that will tell you what size of cable and the wiring type required rather than having people, however helpful they are trying to be, on here guess and make statements that may or may not be of any relevance.

I am not a sparky,but your new oven will never come with a plug fitted because of the wattage output.

Apart from the fact the the vast majority of single ovens are designed to be connected via a standard 13A plug top to a non dedicated socket.

saladdodger
    Free Member

MrOvershoot – Member
    Mmmm so you run your kettle for a couple of hours at a time do you?

Ok substitute the word kettle for 3 kw fan heater/ convector heater 3kw immersion heater etc and you may get the jist of what I am saying

MrOvershoot

saladdodger – Member

Ok substitute the word kettle for 3 kw fan heater/ convector heater 3kw immersion heater etc and you may get the jist of what I am saying

I know where your coming from as “most” cable can take more than you think but an oven cable is shoved down the back of the oven and will run warmer to start with.

Most hot air fans and convection heaters are 2kw IIRC.
    And having just installed some 3kw Redring Sunscreen heaters by the doors in our workshop to keep the cold out as they are opening all the time the recommended cable was….2.5mm
    http://www.specifinder.com/brochures/8138_pdf5.pdf

saladdodger
    Free Member

BS 7671 is what I work off

Also known as the 17th edition wiring regs

it does not harm to go oversize on cables it is just unnecessary extra cost

bit like fishing for Minnows using tanker mooring lines realy 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

bit like fishing for Minnows using tanker mooring lines realy

Not really, I’d give you absolutely zero chance of catching a minnow with a mooring line 🙂

MrOvershoot

saladdodger – Member

BS 7671 is what I work off

Also known as the 17th edition wiring regs

it does not harm to go oversize on cables it is just unnecessary extra cost

bit like fishing for Minnows using tanker mooring lines realy

For god’s sake how much extra is a couple of meters of 2.5 over some 1.5? About 40 pence I would guess.

I’m well aware of what regs your working off, I’ve been using the regs since not long after the the start of the 15th edition, though house bashing isn’t my thing TBH as I’m more industrial 11Kv to 415v thats more my area.
    Its just I’ve seen too many panel fires/flash-overs due to scrimping on cable sizes that these days I tend to spec higher.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sparky for oven’ is closed to new replies.