Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Spark rc 29er or anthem 29er
  • snap
    Free Member

Help me decide between a Scott spark rc or giant anthem 29er
    I was set on an a 2018 aluminium giant anthem 29er until I got offered a carbon 2017 Scott spark rc for much the same money

???

Kryton57

Theres me and no doubt a few other asking this question.

The mid range Anthem 29 seems comprimised Sid, carbon and Eagle or Fox, Alu and Xt. Hmmmm. But in the same price range the equivelent Scott seems heavier and worse equipped.

cp

Which anthem model area you looking at?

IMO there’s little to choose between the suspension platforms. I have an anthem and it’s excellent.

However, I’d be more inclined to go off specs – i.e. i loath fox forks and so would go with whichever had rock shox.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

In my opinion, the spark has far better geometry, which is more important than the spec.

STATO
    Free Member

blackmountainsrider – Member
    In my opinion, the spark has far better geometry, which is more important than the spec.

Can you explain how?

Comparing 2018 29 models they are near identical.
    Reach, same.
    Stack, same.
    BB drop, scott -50, giant -45
    Head angle, scott 68.5, giant 69.
    Seat angle, same.
    Chainstay, 3mm diff

Ive been looking at these and the main put-off for me was the 2018 Giant has a 27.2 seat post.

Kryton57

I want mine as a Marathon / everyday bike. In which case im deferring to a 120mm Spark with the twinloc.

That has. 67.2 HA – slack for racing. I do have a Carbon HT for shorter races.

Re the Anthem, im comparing the two mid range 29ers both at £3499. Its a question af a Carbon bike with SLX and RS Sid, or Alu bike with Sram/XT and fox.

One saves weight in the frame, the other in the drive chain. Both have carbon wheels – but which ones best? At the moment im driven by a prior poor experience with a Sid.

Speshpaul

Sid or Fox then, drive trains get worn out:-)
    Spark for me. Cus they look nice.

STATO
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    I want mine as a Marathon / everyday bike. In which case im deferring to a 120mm Spark with the twinloc.

That has. 67.2 HA – slack for racing. I do have a Carbon HT for shorter races.

The standard Spark is quite different to the SparkRC and even moreso the Anthem29. The Anthem29 is only 90mm on the rear and much steeper than the Spark, the Anthem27.5 is closer to the Spark in that it has 120mm and is slacker (but obviously not a 29er).

wheely
    Free Member

After my Cannondale, the Scott range has been my next favourite. And I know many top riders that have these and have done amazing on them – which tells you something. Less can be said for the anthem except they are getting far better reviews more recently.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

Ah, sorry I was thinking of the 120mm spark. A Completely different bike really!

Kryton57

The standard Spark is quite different to the SparkRC and even moreso the Anthem29. The Anthem29 is only 90mm on the rear and much steeper than the Spark, the Anthem27.5 is closer to the Spark in that it has 120mm and is slacker (but obviously not a 29er).

Yes, this isn’t my argument.

I want a “Trail” bike. Until I hear that the Anthem 29er is a good one – and all of the articles I’ve read so far hint that its more a focused “race” bike, I’m not sure its for me. I also want a 29er.

The Spark RC is also a “race” bike, and I’ve heard of its abilities. The Spark 120mm is the Trail bike I want, but will it be OK to race Marathons? I reckon it will, and the twinloc helps in that respect.

However, the Spark 120 isn’t as light as other manufacturers and there is a price premium as well as that slack HA.

So I guess the question I’m asking is that, for my use is the Spark 120mm ok if I paid more for that, or would the weight and HA affect my Marathon racing or would an Anthem 29er by virtue of its new famed handling also be a good trail bike?

I speak as current 2014 Anthem 29 owner with 120mm fork and offset bush to get it to a 69 HA…

In terms of ideal geometry and setup the actual bike I should buy would be the ‘dale Scalpel SE2 – however that has a unique rear wheel dish, no remote lockout and weighs in over 28lbs….

DT78
    Free Member

My decision process would be:
    Which has the best frame warranty?
    Which has the nicest colours?

Both are very similar and very nice bikes. I’ve had an anthem in the past, loved it, and have been riding a scale for a long time now. Spark is currently on my wish list.

Kryton57

Which has the best frame warranty?
    Which has the nicest colours?

Good point.

I really the like the black/flouro Sparks. That limits me to the RC Pro at £4599 – ouch – 920, or 940, very low brow… 😀

All XD though, sigh…

Clink

How about a Kona HEi HEi? Full carbon frame, good geo, belting reviews.

Kryton57

How about a Kona HEi HEi?

Not a bad shout,

For me personally £4400 for a carbon & 120mm bike, yes with GX Eagle but the formula brakes, and only available in that yellow…

I wasn’t fixated on the 120mm fork the Race DL at £4099 would be perfect… but is the most expensive.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Trek fuel would be worth looking at Kryton if you want a more trail based bike.

Kryton57

130mm. Too far toward Enduro for me 😉

kongman28
    Free Member

What about the Cannondale Scalpel SE. 120 front 115 rear.
    Looks stunning too

snap
    Free Member

Just had a demo ride on the carbon anthem
    Make if this what you will
    Highs
    Far more stable downhill than I was expecting
    Twin loc is so good and because it’s on the bars very usable
    Lows
    Even though it was stable downhill the front end felt low , could possibly raise it a little by flipping the stem
    I was possibly a little tired but it didn’t shine going up for me , couldn’t put my finger on it
    It was possibly the expectation the bike was going to blow me away going up
    I was far more impressed by its downhill capabilities

At a RRP of £4300 would I buy
    In a word NO

Really need to try s spark rc now

rexated
    Free Member

Front end of sparks are low – way lower than my 2016 scale was. Headtube is a good deal shorter. It’s the first 29er I’ve ever had where I don’t have the stem ‘slammed’. and run a spacer under the stem.

Can’t comment on the anthem but the spark rc is a great bike, much less xc focussed than you might think, but then I can’t think of a better xc bike either.

Kryton57

Hold on – the 100mm Spark feels less XC than you expect? I’ve no lbs near me but I obviously need to try the RC.

Snaps review of the Anthem confirms what I’d read. Balls.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Spark rc 29er or anthem 29er’ is closed to new replies.