Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Spares to take on the road
  • roach

Want to get some spares for the van for some trips we intend to do this year so what do you lot take if you’re going on a bit of a road trip?

Rear mech
    Tyres
    Chain
    Brakes
    Sealant
    Tools??

Anybody got a well thought out kit list?

oceanskipper

If you’ve got a van then a bike stand might be a good option. Also a gazebo type of awning type of thing….

Tracey

Lube
    Pump
    Chain ring
    Wheels
    Forks
    Shock
    Bearings
    Brake pads
    Our tool bag goes from the garage to the camper and so we always have the tools needed
    Also got a compressor under the bed

stevextc
    Free Member

12V compressor 😉
    I’m also looking at a rear door mounting bike stand (saw one on Youtube)

I tend to take whole bikes as spares … 5 in the van as I type… (max I can do and still sleep 2 in a SWB)

Then seperate tool kits … brakes, suspension with oils/seals etc., frame spares (mech hangars, chains, cables and hoses, pads and discs… seatpost shim in case I need to swap droppers over. Spare spokes… spare BB, headset bearings … actually would be easier to take a pic.

roach

I think I need to get my on a 29er to cut down on the spares!

Tracey

Lot easier to take pics. Apart from the bikes, back pack and the tool kit the van is always loaded and ready to go which includes helmets, five tens and gloves.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rear mech
    Tyres
    Chain
    Brakes
    Sealant
    Tools??

Sounds like a sensible list. Depends where you’re going and for how long but that’s probably what I’d grab for a weekend away somewhere in the UK. Plus a bag of small bits like chainring bolts, and a fixed seatpost just in case.

Big group heading to the alps for a long week, spares of everything + a spare hardtail wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Just me heading to Scotland, probably nothing as I’d be doing at least some bikepacking so spares at the car is fairly pointless. Also, unless it’s something really unique and irreplaceable. You could spend hundreds of pounds on pre bought spares trying to save a few quid paying LBS prices.

Kuco

If you ride clipped in then spare a set of spare cleats.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

If you’re going to Europe buy your bits on the way through over there and bring them back. And when you’re there check prices and text your mates if they want anything bringing back.

steveh

big van so as much as possible:
    Wheels
    Tyres
    Pedals
    cleats
    Mech
    Chains
    Shifter
    Chain ring
    BB
    brake pads
    at least one complete brake and both levers
    Dropper lever
    saddle
    seatpost of some sort

sealant
    lubes
    Workstand
    tools

anagallis_arvensis

How long is the trip? With a road bike as long as it’s well maintained, I wouldn’t take much beyond, my usual saddle bag plus tools and a few extra tubes unless I was going for weeks. Bottom brackets are the only things that tend to let go without much warning.

Ignore me, its mtb…take everything you can, anything could happen. And don’t forget spare rear mech hangers.

igm

Spokes.
    A reasonably likely breakage I find, but if you have the right size of spoke then a broken spoke is an easy and quick fix, even if you want a local bike shop to do it (more so if you’re confident yourself).
    If not, then the local bike shop might have it, it might want to order it in.
    Particularly if it’s an odd length.

Tubeless tape maybe?

stevextc
    Free Member

AA

How long is the trip?

I’m with Tracey…
    It’s just easier to keep everything you might need in the van.

It makes no sense to me to miss a days riding trying to find something random .. just back from pre-emptively buying an extra quart of sealant for the van as the existing bottle is running low..

and ready to go which includes helmets, five tens and gloves.

I keep a few spare helmets as well, I needed a spare last Wednesday after landing on my head and keep a couple of the Planet X Enduro lids spare as well.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Surprised at those taking half the garage (steveh). How often do you use any of those spares?

Me, I take some chain lube and a track pump. Other than that normal ride spares of an inner tube, some patches, levers, spare quick link and that’s it.

tonyd

Depends how long you’re going for, where you’re going, and what type of riding you’ll be doing (ie is it different enough to what you usually ride to make breaking things more likely?).

Unless I was going to the middle of nowhere I’d just take basic tools and whatever I might struggle to replace from a regular bike shop. Mech hanger springs to mind.

Whatever spares you plan to take, if you don’t have them already I’d get them ordered quickly since pretty much everything seems to be hard to find. A mate just had to wait 2 weeks for a mech hanger which would normally be on the shelf at the LBS, or ordered in next day.

BillOddie

Depends on where you are going, whether you need to sleep in your and proximity of bike shops (even some fairly big alpine resorts are not well served with bike shops).

Having spent 7 month living out of my van whilst riding in the pointy bits of Europe, I think I was pretty lucky with the only purchases I had to make were brake pads, Granny Ring (this was the era of 2x + Bash) and rear wheel (the longish travel hardtail curse).

That being said on a 2 week alpine holiday I had a Charger damper start to leak oil out of the bottom of the fork leg on the first day, which was suboptimal.

Must Haves (assuming your bike is freshly serviced with new pivot bearings/bushings etc:

Mech Hanger x2

Spokes

Freehub body (if no spare wheels)

Chain

Cassette

Rear Mech

Shifter

BB

“Normal” Post + QR seatclamp

Worn In Grips

All the brake pads

Rotors

Brake hose and fluid

Fork/Shock Volume Spacers

Tyre(s) (you’ve probably fitted thicker casing tyres for the Alps etc so just bring he ones you took off)

Tubeless valves, sealant and tape

Extra spare tube

Aside from the tyres most of that will fit in a shoebox

If you have space:

Wheels

Fork/Shock (if you already own them)

Brakes (if you already own them)

Cheap Bar

Tools:

Your normal everyday riding tools/spares plus:

Decent multitool,

ball ended 4/5/6mm,

Torx drivers you might need,

Chain tool,

BB tool,

Bleed kit: brake bleed spanner, hose cutter, bleed cup, syringe, hose

Adjustable spanner

cassette tool

Chainwhip

Track Pump

DH Tyre lever

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Spares to take on the road’ is closed to new replies.