• This topic has 25 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Spare tyres at On-One?
  • devs
    Free Member

This guy canny be a cyclisht shurely. I mean, the Wiggle girl makes me want to buy their kit but this bloke has put me off that top completely. Yeah I'm a shallow body concious snob 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

oh dear… yes you are

scaredypants

that top'd have to be waaay roomier for it to be worth me buying it

dmiller
    Free Member

The wiggle girls got wiggle banned at work by the smart filter… However much to our amusement, and a good reason never to leave your pc unlocked unless you want a new background, a google image search for penis still works! 🙂

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I like that top looks good.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Dunno if he still posts on here but I went on a holiday round some Scottish trail centres with a group (including nbt and bunnyhop) and the other guy wasn't slim but he flew up the hills and had some good skillZ coming back down. Definitely don't judge a book by its cover.
    Another guy at my work looks like your average pub drinker with a decent pot belly but can happily run a marathon.

So yes he no doubt is a cyclist but admittedly I'd definitely prefer a "curvaceous" lady instead for advertising purposes please.

devs
    Free Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm a 17st secondrow forward. I'm not a small chap. I like to think I can hold my own in most biking company but I'm not the body beautiful. I know chunkier members of the mountain bike fraternity who are formidible riders but that's not the point. If I was selling stuff I'd hang it on the most perfect specimen I could afford. Or is this a reverse psychology thing seeing as On One's target audience seems to be forty somethings? The ad says to me that the top will make me look fat. No offence intended to the model who I'm sure is a top bloke and could kick my arse on a mountain bike. Wiggle lady even for the bloke's gear please!

yunki
    Free Member

Then you probably actually ARE a shallow body fascist..
    do you find yourself asking your other rugger pals for body sculpting tips?
    Do you look at the shape of the other guys abs in the communal bath and wonder how you can make yours similar?

Do you sometimes ask the hooker what hair removal cream he uses and the best way to cleanse, tone and moisturise?
    Ok… facetious bit over.. sorry.. can't help myself but bait the large bloke from the safety of my keyboard..
    but I guess the advertising plan here is to make the buyer identify with the brand..

most middle aged blokes find themselves developing a tiny bit of spread in the belly area.. and on-one are definitely branding themselves as a no-nonsense.. grass roots salt of the earth company for down to earth mountain bikers.. (although they will no doubt say that they just grabbed the first person that they saw in the office because they don't think about branding cos they are too busy thinking about bikes and trails and biking)

if you want to know how your clothes would look if you were an underweight girl.. well… I'm sure that there is a word for you..

hmmm

edit: yes my bod does look a bit like the guy in the photo

allthepies
    Free Member

<goes off to check Wiggle>

devs
    Free Member

do you find yourself asking your other rugger pals for body sculpting tips?

Scuse me?? I'm forty something. Right in the On-One target audience. We were brought up with punching, gouging, stamping and then all made friends over pies and guinness. Now these young pro's might all go down the gym and "sculpt" but quite frankly the skill level in the game has gone down as a result but that's a discussion for the other forum on another day. I'm nothing like them. Is that the public perception of rugby nowadays?
    You may be right about the first person they found to hang it on but why go to the expense and time of the glitzy new website if you're not going to present your products well. Anyways, this is getting far too serious, I just wanted to poke fun at the bloke with a girl paunch and point out, despite having 2 456s and 3 tops from On-One, I shall not be buying that top because it looks shi-ite.

pypdjl
    Free Member

I shall not be buying that top because it looks shi-ite.

You are buying the top, not the model!

yunki
    Free Member

no no..
    I wasn't knocking modern rugby big fella… I don't have a perception of the modern game..
    I was knocking YOUR fascination with the perfect body

sillybilly

devs
    Free Member

You are buying the top, not the model!

Wooosh! If missing the point was an olympic sport you would make Chris Hoy look like a milk bottle top collector! 😀

yunki
    Free Member

Wooosh! If missing the point was an olympic sport you would make Chris Hoy look like a milk bottle top collector!

everyone is gonna get a prize for that today it seems

devs
    Free Member

I don't have a fascination with the perfect body. Ok that's not entirely true, anything towards the perfect end of the scale on the opposite sex will keep me fascinated for hours. I could probably out-letch SFB. I'm just saying that if I was selling a top to a sporty crowd I wouldn't hang it on a bloke with a paunch to advertise it. It wasn't even me that noticed it, it was Mrs D but she is used to the perfect body so imperfections on others stick out like racing dog's bollox to her. Probably. 🙂

vdubber67
    Free Member

DeVs – I'd actually seen this and wondered myself about the choice of model. I do think it's an interesting question as to whether there's any conscious decision to use a chap with a slight belly over a ripped person. As some posters have said, is On-One trying to market to it's core audience, or is it just a bloke from the office? Either way I agree that it's not the 'norm' for sporting advertising.

I had a similar question over the new CRC Marathon catalogue vs the Trans Wales brochure. Chap on the marathon brochure is a baggy wearing, 'trail bike' rider with a peaked helmet and a camelbak. Chap on the trans wales brochure is a lycra clad, no-peaked racer on a short travel HT. I found the branding differences there quite interesting.

uplink
    Free Member

Blimey – grown men discussing other grown men's body shape
    It's like one of the gossip magazines my daughters seem to read

devs
    Free Member

uplink – I don't blame you for reading them either. I have a quick letch flick through them when the babysitter leaves them too. 😀

uplink
    Free Member

I see Kerry Catona has been warned to stop eating kebabs & Ricky Martin is apparently gay

🙂

devs
    Free Member

Oh he deffo is it was on News at Ten and everything! 🙂

mafiafish
    Free Member

Surely only an on one fanboi would buy such a devestatingly boring top.

devs
    Free Member

oi mafiafish, get with the programme. We're slagging off the model not the product 🙂

pinches
    Free Member

those jerseys used to be a tenner! i got one when i bought my scandal, should have bought a large 🙁

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I thought a cyclists huge lungs made the stomach stick out? Thats what I tell people anyway…

mafiafish
    Free Member

Well for a tenner you can't complain I suppose.

nbt

dirtbiker100 – Member

Dunno if he still posts on here but I went on a holiday round some Scottish trail centres with a group (including nbt and bunnyhop) and the other guy wasn't slim but he flew up the hills and had some good skillZ coming back down. Definitely don't judge a book by its cover.

That would be Gary, aka Valley – looks like he's still around 😉 Yes, I struggled to keep up with the pair of you !

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Spare tyres at On-One?’ is closed to new replies.