Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Spare ribs? no, not the kind covered in sauce!
  • weeksy

Bike park Wales on Wednesday, stacked it big time at low speed at the end of Sixtapod, more on the trail exit than actually trying to ride hard. Ribs seemed a little delicate at the time, after eventually being able to breathe. But now I’m a broken man and in agony!

Ow ow ow. Such an innocent little crash too!

Drac

Tickle a bit doesn’t it

Visit a minor injuries or walk in centre they will give you some magic pills to help the pain.

weeksy

Don’t like pain pills mate… don’t sit well with me…. saying that.. having ribs that are trying to kill me isn’t sitting terribly well either LOL. As each day passes i’m finding new aches and pains..

iainc

Its a slow process, I cracked mine in early December and still quite sore…

Drac

Well if you’re happy to sit in pain then it’s your call. Me I’d take the pills.

MrOvershoot

Listen to Drac.
    I briused 3 ribs last year and suffered without the pills till my sister in law who’s a district nurse explained I was leaving myself open to lung problems as I was only taking shallow breaths which could lead to infection.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Pointless going to a&e . Been there with ribs a couple of times. Just get some decent painkillers and try and get through the next 6 weeks of discomfort, it they are broken or bruised. Sleeping is the worst bit. Man up Weeksey 😀

jag61

Saw this and thought it was a real spare ‘cervical’ rib after almost having an air ambulance trip and x rays radiologist spotted extra rib on middle daughters shoulder. Seems they are 1 in 200. Any body know about them and or treatments?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Out of interest, what are the strongest painkillers one can acquire? I once had some codeine pills for a toothache; didn’t even touch it. A small amount of marijuana sorted it out immediately though.

maxtorque

What ever you do, don’t sneeze or laugh. Both REALLY hurt! 😉

Northwind

They usually get worse before they get better, but if your timing’s like mine you’ll be at the worst point now, or thereabouts. Sleeping’s what gets me the most, so hard to get comfy, I can deal with pretty much anything as long as I can sleep but a few bad nights in a row and I’m no use for anything.

With ribs it’s a really good idea to use pain relief, it’ll help you move and breathe more normally which’ll help with a good recovery. Lots of pharmacists sell diclofenac now which I reckon is more effective on ribs than paracetemol or ibuprofen…

Some folks say you should see a doctor to rule out complications, I tend to go to mine just so I can say “Yeah, doctor says it’s broken”, you get more sympathy for broken bones. (and also better pills)

huws
    Free Member

what are the strongest painkillers one can acquire?

On prescription, Tramadol. 6 weeks of delicious comfortable fizziness after breaking my collar bone and 5 ribs. You don’t want to be on them for too long though.

weeksy

Still alive and being a man… sneezing is indeed a killer. Sleeping isn’t too bad… as long as i don’t try and move once i settle on a position. Still not doing pills etc.

greeble
    Free Member

2 of these 3 times a day

[Img]http://www.manup-sa.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Product-Photography_Cape-Town-Studio_www.softfocus.co_.za_00111.jpg[/IMG]

toys19
    Free Member

[With regards to your broken rib recovery, do you drink beer/wine?

ontor
    Free Member

Painkillers and breathe

iainc

[With regards to your broken rib recovery, do you drink beer/wine?

Absolutely, helps the pain, but not on school nights 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Lots of pharmacists sell diclofenac now which I reckon is more effective on ribs than paracetemol or ibuprofen…

Some evidence exists that NSAIDs inhibit the body’s ability to repair fractures.

what are the strongest painkillers one can acquire?
    On prescription, Tramadol

Something like fentanyl is waaaaay stronger. And they won’t let you have it for sore ribs 🙂

I’m currently on tramadol for rib fractures & a bruised kidney and can’t wait to get off it – made me madly depressed the last time I came off it after a week of use 😕

Northwind

Rob Hilton – Member

Some evidence exists that NSAIDs inhibit the body’s ability to repair fractures.

Yup. But the verdict for ribs seems to be that the benefits of the pain reduction are greater than the potential for issues.

maxtorque

It seems Sixtapod is your Nemesis hey Steve? You send it down the reds and blacks fine, no issues, but those blues just seem to jump out and bite ya hey?? 😉

weeksy

Indeed mate, twice now. This is a pain though as its now stopping my riding!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Weeksy, hows the ribs now?

I’ve bruised / broken mine at the hamsterley enduro (must be too old / not rad enough for this here new fangled enduro).
    Currently a week in, on the pain killers and reduced to leg sessions in the gym.

How long till back on the MTB?

weeksy

TBH they’re not bad now mate. I can sneeze again with only a minor twinge at the end. I can sleep OK, but they do ache if I sleep badly.

I’ve done a bit of XC, it doesn’t seem to affect it too much (in the last 6 days), although trying to get in the gym on the bike earlier was hard, painful and also affected my breathing abilities it seemed.

Overall though, I rekon I’m 90% OK now.

wwaswas

non incident then?

weeksy

wwaswas – Member

non incident then?

Hmmm. A bit of a yes, a bit of a no… it’s been a proper pain the in ar5e… but not life threatening, so hard to say…

Minor inconvenience…

But… I am butch and masculine so hide it well

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Spare ribs? no, not the kind covered in sauce!’ is closed to new replies.