Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Spannering Help Required
  • fazzini

Ladies and gents of STW I need your help!! After 15 years of faithful service I decided to treat my Stumpy HT to some TLC and a ‘few’ upgrades.
    I have never been brave enough to attempt any spannering previously (various reasons). So after a frame respray (if I can get it sorted I’ll post some pics) and re-build, I am now stuck with rear derailleur and shifting woes.

I have followed the guides, watched the videos and I’m still stuck. Hopefully the STW hive-mind can help.

Ive gone 1×11 (11-46 with a 34 tooth chain ring on original octalink crankset), Shimano slx shifter and rear derailleur. Chainring is in the position the middle ring was previously. It shifts ok, but not perfect, up to the 10th sprocket, but when it gets to the 46 tooth the chain line is terrible and the chain jumps down 3-4 sprockets. As I say its ok up to that sprocket, just the last shift is awful. Any help or advice gratefully received. Please be gentle – ive never attempted this before and i need the idiot’s guide!!! 🤣 Thanks

tagnut69
    Free Member

Is it the long cage mech? and how is the b tension

Davesport

Have you got the new chainring on the correct side of the spider? IE the inside. It’s possible to put it on the outside resulting in an “S” shaped chainline on the upper half of the cassette.

fazzini

@tagnut69 yes its long cage and b tension seems OK although I couldn’t be 100% certain. Ive tried adjusting everything in small increments etc.

dhrider
    Free Member

Follow the adjustment section in this

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-MBRD001-04-ENG.pdf

Also search the model of chain for its dealer manual to make sure Chain length is correct.

d42dom

try some chainring spacers between your ring and cranks to move it towards the frame a couple of mm. Worked for me a good few years back when first settimg up 1X on some 2X cranks. As long as you don’t space it too far your existing bolts should be fine, I went 2mm if I remember rightly. Search for chainring spacers, loads for options from CRC to Ebay

fazzini

Thanks folks

fazzini

@Davesport yes chainring on right side of spider

Yak

This my usual order:
    Check hanger alignment and adjust if needed. (Tool needed).
    Mech on.
    Set limit screws by eye with no chain on.
    Gear cable on.
    Chain on to correct length.
    B screw to whatever manufacturer’s say (line on mech, plastic tool, sticker etc) or big cog with c5mm clearance to jockey wheel.
    Then set mech for alignment in a middle gear.
    Then fine tune to suit.

wonkey_donkey

Try watching the Park Tools guides on YouTube, they’re really good. As long as you pause after each step and follow it through you should be good.

Linky

fazzini

Thanks everyone again. @Yak I decided to remove all and start again following those steps. @Davesport despite me being 100% convinced that I had the chainring in the right place, needless to say I did not. Now in correct position. @wonkey_donkey I am rather addicted to Park Tools videos haha. Calvin Jones is great. Clearly thought I could remember the steps, instead of pausing at each step. Once again thanks all at STW. Test ride after the rugby!

Davesport

Thanks everyone again.  @Yak I decided to remove all and start again following those steps.  @Davesport despite me being 100% convinced that I had the chainring in the right place, needless to say I did not. Now in correct position.  @wonkey_donkey I am rather addicted to Park Tools videos haha. Calvin Jones is great. Clearly thought I could remember the steps, instead of pausing at each step. Once again thanks all at STW. Test ride after the rugby!

Glad you’re sorted :o)

oldnpastit

Finally some good news for 2020.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.