Spanish omlette – tips?

Home Forum Chat Forum Spanish omlette – tips?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spanish omlette – tips?
  • Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

boiled jerseys, more eggs than you think you need, and loads of black pepper in it.
    in Barcelona, you can buy tortilla in minimarkets for 1 euro each. delicious too.

Pyro

Basically, boil the onion and potatoes slowly in oil, chuck some of the oil away, add a shedload of eggs beaten until they’re broken up but not whisked to fluffy, and cook very, very slowly.

I never manage to season mine right*, but I can get them fairly close these days.

*they never quite taste like the ones I had in Spain, but they’ll do for me.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Cook the vegetables first, when they are ready add eggs having beaten then lightly in a bowl, finish under the grill as it should be quite deep so won’t cook through from the bottom without being too dry. It’s a rustic dish so you can put in what you want really, chopped into fairly big pieces, onion, peppers, chorizo ? A few fresh herbs on the top for garnish.

EDIT: I agree with potatoes idea too, cut into pieces and cooked first.

hilldodger

As Pyro really – slow cook the onions/potatoes in plenty of oil, discard most of the oil after about 20 minutes, add coarsley beaten eggs, season & cook slowly (maybe another 20 mins) with lid on frying pan.
    Then either pit under grill or flip in pan to slightly brown the top – simples 🙂

deadlydarcy

Delia did one in one of her “Learn To Cook” books Al. Search it out – it works well. Keep it simple. Less is more. Insert cliche of choice. 🙂

ocrider

Pyro’s got it. Just keep it simple and you’ll be fine.

To serve it up, put a plate on top of the pan and turn it over (watch out for the oil!) job done.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

I often put some v finely chopped chorizo in with the onions for a little more flavour. I also often add various veg like spinach or courgette. Whatever is left over in the fridge.

10-15mins on a low hob, 5 mins under a low to medium grill. Wrap in foil to keep.

Dobbo

Do the double plate flip-flop to serve.

cynic-al

I find myself having offered to take a tortilla to a party…hosted by a Spaniard.

My previous attempts have been hit and miss.

Any tips?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spanish omlette – tips?’ is closed to new replies.