Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Spanish omlette – tips?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I find myself having offered to take a tortilla to a party…hosted by a Spaniard.

My previous attempts have been hit and miss.

Any tips?

ton

boiled jerseys, more eggs than you think you need, and loads of black pepper in it.
    in Barcelona, you can buy tortilla in minimarkets for 1 euro each. delicious too.

Pyro

Basically, boil the onion and potatoes slowly in oil, chuck some of the oil away, add a shedload of eggs beaten until they’re broken up but not whisked to fluffy, and cook very, very slowly.

I never manage to season mine right*, but I can get them fairly close these days.

*they never quite taste like the ones I had in Spain, but they’ll do for me.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cook the vegetables first, when they are ready add eggs having beaten then lightly in a bowl, finish under the grill as it should be quite deep so won’t cook through from the bottom without being too dry. It’s a rustic dish so you can put in what you want really, chopped into fairly big pieces, onion, peppers, chorizo ? A few fresh herbs on the top for garnish.

EDIT: I agree with potatoes idea too, cut into pieces and cooked first.

hilldodger
    Free Member

As Pyro really – slow cook the onions/potatoes in plenty of oil, discard most of the oil after about 20 minutes, add coarsley beaten eggs, season & cook slowly (maybe another 20 mins) with lid on frying pan.
    Then either pit under grill or flip in pan to slightly brown the top – simples 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Delia did one in one of her “Learn To Cook” books Al. Search it out – it works well. Keep it simple. Less is more. Insert cliche of choice. 🙂

ocrider

Pyro’s got it. Just keep it simple and you’ll be fine.

To serve it up, put a plate on top of the pan and turn it over (watch out for the oil!) job done.

Stoner
    Free Member

I often put some v finely chopped chorizo in with the onions for a little more flavour. I also often add various veg like spinach or courgette. Whatever is left over in the fridge.

10-15mins on a low hob, 5 mins under a low to medium grill. Wrap in foil to keep.

Dobbo

Do the double plate flip-flop to serve.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Spanish omlette – tips?’ is closed to new replies.