Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Spanish Omelette
  • eskay

Anyone got a good recipe? Mine never seem to be quite as good as others I have had elsewhere!

roper
    Free Member

Do you mean tortilla, with potatoes and onion or omelette with just eggs?

Bazz

True spansish omlette only has potato and eggs apparently. New potatoes are best (or similar waxy potato).

eskay

Tortilla

damo2576
    Free Member

http://trevorcook.typepad.com/cc/2011/01/moros-spanish-tortilla.html

Key is onions cooked for best part of hour and not cooking the whole tortilla the whole way through, ie little runny in the middle.

banks
    Free Member

I’ve made about 8000 so far 🙁
    Trick is sticking it under the grill for a while – anything from 1 – 3 hrs & keep the middle runny

roper
    Free Member

They can vary but normally it is,
    caramelized opinions then garlic in a frying pan. Add the boiled potato chunks and then broken eggs. sometimes cheese.
    Once the bottom is cooked, turn over using a plate and the shape should be formed from the frying pan. Back on the heat until it is cooked through. The outside should be a golden colour. Often eaten with alioli.

big_scot_nanny

Don’t have a link, but the Delia one is very good and easy ‘painting by numbers’ recipe to get it just right.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think the key is more olive oil than you think. It’s part of the reason it’s not very good for you. Delia’s is very good, as is the Moro one. No grilling, only in the frying pan . Two plate technique to turn it over

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the Delia one is very good

+1

hammyuk
    Free Member

Never onions in a Tortilla FFS!
    Most spanish use frozen chips part fried (not oven chips), Cilantro and a LOT of eggs.
    A very deep pan and two plates to turn.
    Serve with nothing more than fresh bocadillo.
    Perhaps a slice of cheese (edam) IF reheated.
    The trick is a low heat and take your time, the middle should be just done, with the outside golden – NOT brown.

doug_basqueMTB.com

You should taste the tortilla my eighty year old makes… Incredible. She fries the potatoes and garlic. In a pan she used plenty of oil to cook the tatties, that’s reused a few times. They’re drained and out back in the pan, eggs on top and cook. Plate over the top, flip it and back in pan. Leave it really, really runny. Good eggs. I love it although I’m sure it’s not good for me!

doug_basqueMTB.com

You get onions in them. Sweet onions over near Bilbao are special!

properbikeco
    Free Member

if you have time use the oven instead of grill – preheat and it should bake nicely

part of the fun is fine tuning the cooking time

pedropete

From Aragon, never with onions. Just 4 good eggs, 4 Maris piper potatoes, good olive oil & salt. The sliced not diced potatoes are sweated off in a big pan with the lid on & low heat, so they soften up but don’t crisp up. Break the potato slices a little as you transfer to a bowl containing the beaten eggs. Then transfer to a deep omelette pan on a low heat for about 5 mins. Put a large plate over the pan to turn the omelette over & slide it back ( carefully) into the pan for the remaining 5 mins max. I cook one every Friday night. Can be eaten hot or cold, always with good fresh bread. Yum.

shifter
    Free Member

You’re a funny lot, put tortilla into Wiki and it says “see Spanish omelette”. Then it says the most common form is egg, potato and… onions 🙂

There were jalapenos in mine tonight.

hammyuk
    Free Member

12yrs living and working in Spain both mainland and islands and only ever ate a Tortilla with onions in once. That was in the Basque Country and a family recipe – the bar in the village didn’t put onions in them.
    I’ve sen peppers in there – again, family variation but the bars, restaurants, bodegas are literally two ingredients.
    Eggs, potatoes, cooked in oil with some salt and cilantro to taste.

pedropete

In the area of spain that I know well, an omelette containing anything other than potatoes is known as a tortilla Francesa – a French omelette !

weare138
    Free Member

I put a tiny bit of smoked paprika in the oil when I fry the potatoes.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

caramelized opinions

How very STW

Nonsense
    Free Member

Even better with some dry fried chorizo. Not authentic but yummy!

arrpee
    Free Member

Another fan of the Delia Smith approach here. Eggs, tatties, onions, awesome.

johndoh
    Free Member

I think the key is more olive oil than you think. It’s part of the reason it’s not very good for you.

Nothing wrong with olive oil.

Houns

After trying and failing many times the best thing I’ve found *gets ready for flaming* is……

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1394528925479

chakaping
    Free Member

I put a tiny bit of smoked paprika in the oil when I fry the potatoes.

Good idea, bit healthier than my habit of sometimes adding chorizo.

eskay

Thanks for all of the tips. I am going to give Delia’s recipe a go and see if it turns out better than my previous attempts!

On a similar theme, I had a dish in madrid several years ago that consisted mainly of potato, garlic etc but it had a couple of runny eggs on top. It was ordered by some locals who had taken us out for lunch and was delicious. I never found out what it was called, anybody got any ides?

iffoverload
    Free Member

dont slice the potatoes, break chunks off with the knife. let them cool after cooking and then mix into the eggs

midlifecrashes

My daughter has a Spanish tutor, they did a cookery session last week. Alejandro is from near Santander, in case this is a regional variation. It was delicious, though:

Tortilla española (English)

Ingredients:
    -a large onion
    -four or five eggs
    -five or six potatoes
    -salt
    -olive oil

Instructions:
    -peel the potatoes and onion
    -cut into small cubes
    -heat the olive oil in a large frying pan
    -add the potatoes and onion when the oil is very hot (the oil should cover the
    mix)
    -cook on low/medium heat for 20-25 minutes and stir from time to time
    -meanwhile put the eggs in a bowl, add salt to taste and beat them
    -when the potato and onion is soft, add to the bowl, draining the oil
    -stir the mixture, taste and add more salt if necessary
    -put a tiny bit of oil in a clean frying pan and heat it
    -when it’s hot, add the mix and heat on a medium/high heat for about two minutes
    -turn over with the help of a plate and cook another two minutes
    -serve!

Mackem

My favourite is with caramelized onions and a spicy pepper on top. As done by my old local bar. (Near Bilbao).

roper
    Free Member

Just to add, if you cook onions in Spain they tend to mean onions and garlic, at least in the south. Also, you can cook a tortilla with spinach too.

Mackem

You can do anything you like with Tortilla really. There’s a bar in Bilbao that claims over 100 types.

johndoh
    Free Member

I had a pan haggerty last night – a bit of a sloppy UK version of tortilla.

Not bad, not bad.

eskay

Tried Delia’s recipe last night. It turned out better than my previous efforts.

mogrim

Never onions in a Tortilla FFS!
    Most spanish use frozen chips part fried (not oven chips), Cilantro and a LOT of eggs.

No they don’t, or at least I’ve never seen one like that in my 17 years here.

The Delia recipe is pretty good, although it doesn’t use anything like enough oil. 1 tablespoon 😯

FWIW my (Spanish) wife’s recipe:

One chopped onion
    4-5 potatoes
    4-5 eggs
    Salt
    Lots of olive oil.

Beat the eggs a bit and pour into a large bowl. Add a fair amount of salt.
    Deep fry the onion and potato until soft in a large frying pan. They should NOT be caramelized or crispy.
    Use a slotted spoon to move the onions+potato into the bowl with the eggs in it. This will naturally include a lot of the oil.
    Pour the remaining oil away somewhere.
    Pour the egg/potato/onion mix into the frying pan and fry on a medium heat until the centre is only a bit runny. Use a wooden spatula to fold the edges over a bit.
    Put a large plate over the frying pan, invert, then slide the omelette back into the pan.
    Fry for a while longer until the bottom is set.

How runny the middle bit should be is a matter of debate, and depends on taste. IMO it ought to be a bit runny, but not liquid. My wife likes it a bit more done, and as she makes them…

Edit: This is a Madrid / Extremadura omelette, other regions may include other stuff. Still never seen cilantro in one though!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Spanish Omelette’ is closed to new replies.