Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • spam winter challenge, Salisbury Plain 50km on the 30th Dec ?
  • weeksy

http://www.spamwinterchallenge.co.uk/index.html

Anyone else having a bit of this ?

i’m REALLY looking forward to this… this is my big test of what this years training has been all about.

richen987
    Free Member

may be up for a bit of that , looks good.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’ll find something unsuitable to ride and give it a crack.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I think I should be there. It will be my first time on the mtb for years. I am easing myself in by lurking on the forum before doing any real life offroad riding 🙂

weeksy

If anyone wants to say hello, i’ll be on the Orange Spearfish so should be easy to find. 🙂

richen987
    Free Member

if i make it i will be on an orange Tranny so should also be an easy spot, let’s hpoe there are no other orange bikes or it could all get a bit hard to find people.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Should be there, may be on a CX bike…

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Inless it freezes that will be a slog.Good event though did it few times many moons ago.

weeksy

I’m praying for Frost 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

Prob be there also a orange spearfish
    This could et confusing

Edric64
    Free Member

Spam must be the dullest coldest mainly road ride there is .I shall be there again on a cross bike this year though .I may put tribars on for all the road bits.

marvincooper

I’ve entered the 50K, seemed like a good idea at the time but judging by today’s obvious lack of fitness on my commute to work I may be regretting it come the 30th.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Unless there is a sudden drought or hard freeze then er no!

oldfart

What Edric said last time I did it it rained from start to finish one of my worse times ever on a bike so no thanks.

weeksy

That doesn’t mean it will rain this time all day 🙂

Well, it certainly won’t rain on me… i’ll be at home 🙂

weeksy

Out of interest, the forecast shows the weather getting chilly and frosty

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Cant remember what year it was going back abit and it was totally frozen, super fast.Ollie Beckensale won it in about 2 an half hours.It was brill every other time i did it,it was a mud bath and evil cross winds.

bitemebryn
    Free Member

Did it last year, vowed never to bother again, lots of road work joined together with slippery down hill tracks through open fields…..see you on the 30th!

madjak
    Free Member

Am planning to do this on my Single Speed, currently running 2:1 gearing, does anyone know if this is too high? Will I spend all day spinning out?

Clink

I did it on ss a few years ago – span out on road sections. I’d say your gearing was too high though, not low?

Jason
    Free Member

I have done it a few times. Over the years it seems have incorporated more and more tarmac sections. Which is a shame. I have single speeded it a couple of times and I am pretty sure I stuck to 2:1, tough on some of the climbs and spinny on the flat bits – I don’t think I would have wanted anything harder.

musttryharder
    Free Member

I don’t think I would have wanted anything harder.

I’m riding this with Jak, also on a SS running 34,16. Not done any serious riding for a few weeks, so should be “interesting”.

missnotax
    Free Member

Hmmm, looks interesting… From the above posts i’m getting that is a pretty non-technical course though? What are the off road sections like? I don’t mind any kind of off road riding but I would be disppointed if I entered and it was all roads….

Might try and rally up some friends to do this too!

Edric64
    Free Member

Its mainly dull mod roads across the plain with little of interest and next to no single track They even took out the slightly interesting wooded bit just before the finish last year to make it duller .The hill from the start is just doable on 32/16 but you will be woefully undergeared on the road on a ss and over geared on a couple of hills if its a quagmire

scud
    Free Member

I’ll be there, thought about SS bike but after comments above i think i’ll be on my blue Solaris. Look out for a Brad Pitt lookalike turning up in a Porsche (or a rotund fella in red berlingo van if you want to find me…)

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Thats a shame years ago it was nearly all off-road other than the start.

frogstomp

Assuming the weather’s picked up (even just a little bit!) by then I might give it a crack.. sounds like a good leg spinner to get some miles in..

Freester

I did this one 7-8 years ago it was a muddy old slog fest.

Sounds like more MOD semi metalled road than when I did it. Most likely will give it a go this year.

Unlikely this is a superb tech fest a la Dyfi Enduro but it’s a spin if nothing else.

cinnamon_girl

Just back from a pootle on the Plain although east of Erlestoke. The wind on the ridge was something else!

singlecrack
    Free Member

I’ll be there on my trusty ss canfield nimble 9….I’ll look out for you Weeksy …only doing the 38k ride though as all my mates are puppies and can’t handle 50k on the plain …in the wind ….and driving rain….and cold ….and mud …..

crazy-legs

Done that a couple of times although not recently. I hated every second of it.

Both times I’ve done it were ludicrous cross winds and horrendous mud and my average speed was about 5mph with the head/cross winds and stopping to clean the mud off the bike. Hated it.

The guy who’d given me a lift there was a former National Vet MTB Champion, super fit guy. He’d done it in 2.5hrs, cleaned, changed, gone to the pub for Sunday lunch, come back and still had to wait another hour for me to finish. Took me about 6hrs. 🙁

gary

ludicrous cross winds and horrendous mud and my average speed was about 5mph with the head/cross winds and stopping to clean the mud off the bike. Hated it.

Ah, sounds like the first time I did it – it was several years before I went back again! Not done it for a few years now, it was always a fun day if it was properly frozen, pretty grim otherwise. Which I guess is why it has slowly gained more road-y sections. I may still be tempted to get the cross bike out if the weather is not too ghastly.

weeksy

TBH after being down that way today and seeing the general area is a flood plain over by Avebury/Calne. So i’ve decided to blow it out and not do this one. IT’s £20 entry and say a Tenner or so in fuel and maybe £10 for lunch too… £40 to get covered in mud and ride rubbish trails… i can do that on the Ridgeway within 100m of my doorstep.

Enjoy guys.

singlecrack
    Free Member

i’m REALLY looking forward to this… this is my big test of what this years training has been all about.

Lol ……. 😉

weeksy

Indeed mate… However there’s MANY other events in the coming year… and many more interesting events not in a swimming pool 🙂

Clink

and many more interesting events not in a swimming pool

You’re feeling more confident about future weather than me then!! 😯

singlecrack
    Free Member

Time to take up Bog snorkelling

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Its a bog fest everywhere at the minute.Forest Of Dean was very wet and muddy other than the verdeerers the other day.I think you done the right thing.Its a good event just needs half decent conditions not a swamp.

Wally

Undecided here, any local inside news on what to expect tomorrow?
    177 pre-entered for 50K

captain_bastard
    Free Member

It’s mostly on MOD roads and tracks, so will be fine. The wind however…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘spam winter challenge, Salisbury Plain 50km on the 30th Dec ?’ is closed to new replies.