Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Spain car hire – Fuel policy
  • cp

So most Spanish rental firms seem to insist on pre-pay tank of fuel and return empty.

I’ve found a very very cheap golf for 7 days (35 quid!) but the hire company (it’s through holiday autos, not sure of rental company until bought) insist on pre-paying the tank of fuel. The question is… how inflated price wise is that tank of fuel in folks experience?

Other companies not doing the fuel pre-pay are well over 70 quid for the rental, so as long as the tank of fuel (and it’s likely I’ll use most of if not all of it) isn’t inflated by 50% or so, then it should work out cheaper to go with the very cheap golf…

experience appreciated, ta.

Mackem
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

expect lots of extras, silly excess and the rest too!

The real sting in the pre pay tank deal is that you buy a tank and only ever use about 3/4 so the next guy pays for a tank but they only put in 3/4. Great money spinner for them, you don’t need to inflate the fuel price too much normally to win.

cp

interesting website!

I’m really after what the rental companies inflated pre-pay charge is rather than the on-the-ground prices are. Useful reference though.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Not mainland spain, but in mallorca the small print of the companies that had a pre-pay option on the fuel said you could pay up to £100 for a tank depending on the car.

Mackem

..dont buy fuel on Friday in Spain. Monday is best.

cp

expect lots of extras, silly excess and the rest too!

The real sting in the pre pay tank deal is that you buy a tank and only ever use about 3/4 so the next guy pays for a tank but they only put in 3/4. Great money spinner for them, you don’t need to inflate the fuel price too much normally to win.

very much so. I entirely expect to use at least an entire tank though, and am more than happy to play the game and return it on fumes.

However, if that first tank of fuel is 200% of the price of the local filling station, then they can chuff off and I’ll use another company who don’t play the game. If it’s 10% more, then I’ll play.

northernmatt

Last car I hired in Spain I had to pay €95. About €20 was for the kiddie seat and the rest was for fuel. This was on a Ford Fiesta which would have cost about £50 to fill up so once you convert that €75 to £ it wasn’t actually that bad. Made damn sure it went back with the fuel warning light on though.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

We hired a few weeks ago- 7 days £35 for a Focus. Fuel was 105 euros iirc. Free extra driver.

£25 extra for non pre-filled + extra driver cost per day. I really don’t think theres much in- maybe go the more expensive initial rental if only one driver/half a tank etc

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

.dont buy fuel on Friday in Spain. Monday is best

Why´s that Mackem?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Spain car hire – Fuel policy’ is closed to new replies.