Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • SpaceX’s hold music is really bad
  • wilburt
    Free Member

One of the most impressive things I have ever seen, simply awesome.

Shame to see out news would rather focus on the usual brexit, mulsim bollox rather than a proper bit of human endeavour.

Elon’s sense of showmanship is what caps it off, its like “if I had all the money in the world whats the mist fun I could have?”

peterno51

He is starting to rank up there with Brunel as a person who actually gets engineering stuff done.

It highlights how much balls, fluff, wasted time and profit chasing there is in current engineering companies.

sharkbait
    Free Member

As I said on the other thread…. that launch was just **** awesome and the simultaneous landing was like something out of Thunderbirds! Even the wife was impressed!
    Such a shame the centre core didn’t make it, but they’ll put more fuel in next time and hopefully it will be job jobbed.
    They make NASA look like a bunch of part-timers in some ways.

Whenever I’m feeling in need of inspiration I just rewatch a SpaceX launch/landing on youtube – makes me realise just how great technology, and business, can be.

Currently read the Elon Musk book and it’s fascinating – fairly unhappy childhood and it looks like he’s just having fun doing what he loves now.
    Very driven guy that seems like he can be a hard task-master (not really surprising).

legend
    Free Member

but they’ll put more fuel in next time and hopefully it will be job jobbed.

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion it wont be quite as simple as that.

seems like he can be a hard task-master (not really surprising).

A friend of my S-I-L works for SpaceX. Apparently he’s never worked so hard before, but in a good way, as everyone is really pushing towards the same goals

FuzzyWuzzy

There’s an electric car documentary film on Prime that’s an interesting watch (although a bit dated now), shows how close Tesla came to failing and Elon trying to juggle all that stress with 6 or 7 kids – I can’t say I envied him…

whitestone
    Free Member

Comparing Nasa and commercial concerns is made awkward because Nasa have a lower risk acceptance, basically it has to be as close to zero as they can make it whereas commercial concerns can be a little more lax. Still a very low level of acceptable risk but not as low as Nasa’s.

BoardinBob

He married and divorced the same woman twice, so he’s not perfect 😆

footflaps

Still a minnow compared with Saturn V

Falcon Heavy Vs. Saturn V

ElShalimo

what happened to the third one? where did it end up?

Ewan
    Free Member

Engines failed to burn. Hit the water near the drone ship and caused some damage.

BoardinBob

What are the flat earthers saying about the whole thing and the footage of the car above the earth?

legend
    Free Member

Musk was saying that the core run out of fuel, has that now changed?

Bob thats easy, the whole thing is obvs and elaborate hoax

Twodogs

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”>He is starting to rank up there with Brunel as a person who actually gets engineering stuff done.</span>

Not sure…are these thing his ideas or he just the money behind it?

richmtb

What are the flat earthers saying about the whole thing and the footage of the car above the earth?

Wheres all the satellites floating past the earth? Wheres all the stars??? This video is nothing but CGI !!! As if the driver doesn’t even move his head to look at the earth when passing???? If that was me i wouldn’t keep my head still, i’d be looking everywhere, hanging my head over the doors and all sorts! 1 big fakery this is! Only the gullible believe this could be true!

😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Wonder if this is the next big collision detection test? 😉

Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/961083704230674438/photo/1

sharkbait
    Free Member

are these thing his ideas or he just the money behind it?

read his book…. it’s all him. He’s always been obsessed with Mars.

GrahamS

I wonder if some alien race will find this in a few million years and say “Oh yeah, “humans” remember those guys?”

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be31IJxgOoK/

Cougar

That’s class.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Have they managed to recover any video of the core stage “landing”yet?

Cougar

Requires headphones, apparently.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s worth 5mins through headphones..

GrahamS
    cheers_drive

Is it just me or does the boosters landing and the car in space look fake? Maybe science fiction has made coloured by vision of what’s real?

Northwind

The booster landings always look like models don’t they. And no attempt to make it look less fake, like the sheer chutzpah of the synchronised landing, it was pure Thunderbirds. The sort of thing you only do if it’s real basically. But I do love some of the responses to the stream from the car “fake- there’s no internet in space”. Like they’re livestreaming it from an iphone.

The car definitely bothers my sense of the real, I think that’s why I like it so much. Just occurred to me that given his influences, it should have been a red Volvo estate though

Cougar

Is it just me or does the boosters landing and the car in space look fake?

The boosters do look fake – or at least, implausible – but there’s plenty of third party footage of them landing.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Saw this on the news last night, I was in the middle mocking all of the whooping coming from the SpaceX employees before I caught glimpse of the two boosters simultaneously landing.

I’m unashamed to say, in the end I was giving it bigger than they were.

GrahamS

The thing is, you/we just have nothing to compare it to. What should a car in space look like?

It’s the same with footage from ISS and space walks. There are always plenty of people saying “it looks fake”, but what real space walks are they comparing it to?

Cougar

what real space walks are they comparing it to?

Clearly none, because we’ve never been there.  Duh.  We’d crash into the dome first.

bigdean

“Is it just me or does the boosters landing and the car in space look fake? Maybe science fiction has made coloured by vision of what’s real?”

There’s an interview with Elon where he says “it must be real cause it looks so fake, if we’d faked it it would be with better cg.”

The lack of atmospher is behind it i think.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The thing is, if you saw those boosters landing in a Bond/SiFi film you’d be like “Yeah. Righto, as if!” But because it’s real it makes it immensely impressive. I didn’t even know rockets COULD land like that, never mind two at the same time. That’s someone showing off, that is. And I love it! They’ve just out done pretty much every SiFi film ever made IMO.

legend
    Free Member

The whole of the space centre suffers from this problem really. e.g. You go there and they tell you all about how massive the assembly building is, but it just doesn’t look it as there’s no point of reference………..until they point out the tiny spec at the bottom which is actually a double door. Lauch towers are much they same, “they are xx distance away”, “nah mate they’re just over there” except they don’t really get closer as you walk towards them

GrahamS

The lack of atmospher is behind it i think.

Yeah definitely.

When I speak to Flerfers and other disbelievers they often can’t get their heads around why footage from a rocket (or car) travelling at thousands of miles an hour in space isn’t a shaky blurry mess; or why astronauts can work outside the ISS despite it travelling at more than 17,000mph.

richmtb

Nice hatchet job opinion piece in the Guardian

link

Totally misses the point, why are we doing this when people in Syria are dying etc.

Some people really shouldn’t have climbed down out of the trees

sharkbait
    Free Member

Musk revealed in a press call Monday that the Falcon Heavy would likely never take humans into space—a goal the company always intended to meet. This task will now be reserved for SpaceX’s upcoming Big Falcon Rocket (BFR).
    Big Falcon Rocket? … yeah, right! Pretty sure the name starts with an F but that’s about it.

Musk has a great sense of humour 🙂

P20

Just watched the whole launch on YouTube. Wow! That’s fascinating. Remarkable achievement

CountZero

Nice piece about the booster landings, with emphasis on the triple sonic booms as they come in, which isn’t apparent in other videos.
    The speed they come in at is incredible:
    https://jalopnik.com/the-falcon-heavys-boosters-landings-made-twin-triple-so-1822794559

squirrelking
    Free Member

The much-anticipated launch of Musk’s Falcon Heavy rocket, the most powerful ever launched by a private company, went off without a hitch.

Second paragraph in and it’s already clear the author has not a ****’ clue what they’re on about.

It’s sad that people can miss the point so entirely, this is a massive feat of engineering and something to celebrate, with so much shit happening in the world (or at least that’s the media narrative) why do people begrudge a good thing? Have people really become that bitter?

Screw them, that Jalopnik link shows just how dead on the whole thing is, my father in law didn’t believe that was a landing and not just video in reverse!

CountZero

Musk is a real SF fan, he included the whole Asimov Foundation series on a special crystal archive drive, and I didn’t know the two drone barges the Falcon booster stages land on have names; “the autonomous barges that SpaceX uses to recover boosters, Just Read the Instructions and Of Course I Still Love You.”
    😄

DrJ

For some reason I have Elon Musk and Danish submarine guy Peter Madsen mixed up in my head. Are we sure there isn’t a journalist strapped into the car?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘SpaceX’s hold music is really bad’ is closed to new replies.