• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by enmac.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Space Hub Sutherland
  • scotroutes

I’m a bit conflicted on this one. On the one hand, I have an expectation that the Scottish Highlands should remain an attractive tourist destination and that anything which negatively impacts the environment at all is “bad”.

On the other hand, it’s jobs, investment and also a possible attraction in itself. The Highlands can’t be expected to remain MacDisneyland.

If we really need such a thing then, of the three options for a vertical spaceport (Unst, Uist and Sutherland), I reckon this is the best.

https://www.hie.co.uk/our-region/regional-projects/space-hub-sutherland/

maccruiskeen

I have an expectation that the Scottish Highlands should remain an attractive tourist destination and that anything which negatively impacts the environment at all is “bad”.

Compared to lots of other pieces of industrial and logistical infrastructure in the Highlands is it going to be that special? How big does a space port need to be? – some tarmac and a portacabin (of course this is HIE so there’ll be some larch cladding, some white render and something zinc too)

Heres a space port in Norway

scotroutes

The video on the link gives a pretty reasonable expectation of scale and complexity. It’s not huge. I think some folk have Cape Canaveral in their thoughts while considering and commenting on it. 🙂

CraigW
    Free Member

If we really need such a thing then, of the three options for a vertical spaceport (Unst, Uist and Sutherland), I reckon this is the best.

Why not use an old RAF base, which already has much of the infrastructure in place. Much less environmental impact and cost.
    The Uist rocket range is already launching things into space.

What about transport infrastructure to Tongue? Could will mean a lot trucks along narrow roads, that are already full of camper vans.

scotroutes

I don’t think any of the RAF bases are in the right place.

The existing Uist rocket range isn’t for vertical launches – the proposal is for one in North Uist (though it would seem sensible to share staff and control resources).

Traffic is a downside for any of the three, though maybe could partially be alleviated by dock facilities in the case of the two island sites.

tjagain

What about the old RAF base at Balnakeil? Have to evict the hippies first tho 😉

I am not really sure why this location tho? So its away from populated areas / the rockets head over the sea?

One thing for sure – the highlands needs jobs and good jobs

swavis

I’m all for it! We’ve already picked up a small amount of work from a nearby firm in Forres who build micro and nano satellites (thanks @kcal 😉) and if there’s more manufacturing that can only be a good thing.
    Could it also be served by a port nearby in Sutherland too? Would maybe save on traffic.

kcal

I think the location suits low population and also the launch trajectory – polar orbits rather than geo stationary.

It would bring and retain proper jobs – not just low level construction. I may be biased as @swavis knows!

Yes local companies are already involved which is a good thing – launch vehicles though to carry other companies satellites e.g. the cube sats under development in Paisley I think.

maccruiskeen

cube sats under development in Paisley I think.

Would make more sense to launch them from Houston then 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

England has a population over ten times that of Scotland and isn’t that much bigger and when you fly over England it is sparsely populated…unspoiled countryside as far as the eye can see mostly – something like only 5% of the land is built on. Scotland is even more sparsely populated and even less developed (3.6% of the land is built on according to a quick Google) so I’m sure a spaceports won’t risk the countryside becoming an industrial wasteland.

It’ll be less of a blot on the landscape than the Orange buffoon’s Golf course.

seadog101

England vs Scotland?

Most of the sparsely populated bits are covered in Mr Toff’s grouse shooting land. So no chance of getting hold of that land.

towzer

I’ve just found some more up to date information

Space Post Scotland

epicyclo

towzer
    I’ve just found some more up to date information

I’ve got one of those Scarp stamps. My family used to live on Scarp.

enmac
    Free Member

They could ship rockets into Wick harbour. We use to regularly ship large facilities into there for the oil industry for onward transport to the Subsea 7 factory just north of Wick. I believe some of the lamp posts in Wick are hinged to allow the trucks to pass and one homeowner used to get his wall demolished and rebuilt regularly. I think the Subsea 7 factory is possibly the longest in the world at 7.8km, it is basically a railway line used to build long pipeline bundles.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Space Hub Sutherland’ is closed to new replies.