• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by bonni.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Spa cycles elan 725 as do everything bike?
  • djl1

Hi,
    I notice that spa now have a thru axle elan, would this make a decent do anything bike for gravel, bit of road and even maybe the odd cross race? I know it won’t be light but love the look of the frame and all my spares would mean I only need the frame.
    Any other suggestions if not?
    Thanks

jwt
    Free Member

I was looking at one of these recently for a winter/gravel bike, but it had Q/R and post mount brakes so I could swap out from my current winter/gravel bike, it was on offer @ £400(? i think?)
    I emailed Spa to ask about what actual clearance there was for more off-road biased tyres, still waiting for a reply and the offer has ended since.
    I have heard you’re best off phoning them.
    Still looks like it’d do the job.

Just had a quick look and the one I was looking at is the MK1.

Bazz

I posted a similar question some months a go as it was on my shortlist for a new all road frame, I seem to recall that no one on here had any first hand experience of it, at least no one posted anyway. The quick release and post mount brakes was a bit of a stumbling block for me so it’s good to see that they’ve changed to bolt through and flat mount, it may go back on to my short list (still not got a new frame as my daughters university education is costing me far more than i had expected, but that’s another story!)
    Just a shame that they have dropped that gorgeous metallic copper colour on the mk2 frame.

legometeorology
    Free Member

I seem to remember the mk1 took 45mm tyres — I’ve never seen one in person though

butcher

There is no way I would trust Spa Cycles enough to hand over that amount of cash. The one and only time I’ve been completely ripped off, was buying from them.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate had the Ti version and loved it till it was stolen.

ton

butcher
    There is no way I would trust Spa Cycles enough to hand over that amount of cash. The one and only time I’ve been completely ripped off, was buying from them.

as a total opposite to that, i have used Spa cycles for 35 years.
    4 x complete bikes. numerous custom wheel builds ( without a single snapped spoke ) and loads and loads of bike components.
    and in all that time not 1 single problem.

poolman
    Free Member

Yes I just collected a spa tourer, love it, swapped out a few bits on the build. Had some other touring wheels rebuilt 15 years ago by them and like ton, not even a broken spoke since.

Would deffo recommend.

jwt
    Free Member

Ended up ordering a Ridley Cross frame as it fit the post mount/QR/mudguard brief I need to swap all the components from my Holdsworth Elan frame, and was a more economical option than the Spa Cycles Elan.

bonni

I like their Elan bike too but, from Google Reviews, it sounds like there is real head-the-ball running the show (or at least responding). Two replies pasted below sounds like they’re on crystal meth..

REVIEW 1:
    Ordered a part online. Payment was taken straight away as expected. Got an email 12 days later explaining the product was no longer in stock – absolutely fine. No refund processed so my bike has been out of action for a month now as I can’t afford the part needed. Sent three enquiry emails and no response.

Response from the owner:
    okay jon suck your mother

REVIEW 2:
    Will never forgive John for using totally unprovoked abusive language to me in front of my 5-year-old son. But given the update below, perhaps I’ll give this shop another chance in the very near future.

Response from the owner:
    shut it steve you deserved everything bad that’s ever happened toyou and hope ur son gets falls of his bike

To be fair, the reviews are fairly binary: 70% great: 30% rude. So not totally put-off

damascus
    Free Member

Anyone else just go and read the reviews?

In response to a ti frame cracking

Spa Cycles (owner)
    7 months ago

clearly your own fault ian. next time keep ur eyes open lad then you’ll avoid the obvious titanium frame.

All the replies seem to be from 7 months ago so maybe they got hacked and they haven’t been able to get Google to change them or maybe he was just having a bad day or someone just before they got fired? 🤣

bonni

I know, they’re so counter what the manuals say about customer satisfaction it’s actually pretty funny.

I’m only a roll of the dice away from being that poor pleb that gets ignored and shat on in Google Reviews!

ampthill

I’ve never had a problem with spa cycles. But I have seen threads on here suggesting they have one difficult member of staff

I’ll change that. I have had amazing service from spa cycles

Phoned them in a Wednesday lunch time to ask about building my own 28 40 chainset. They asked if I wanted to build it or just wanted those rings. I said I just wanted those rings. Any ways they built it and it was in my hand on Friday

bonni

Good to hear 👍

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.