Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SP8X or SON 28 15mm dynamo hub for hammering the downhills?
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hi
    Getting a wheel built with one of these. Wondering if anyone has experience of stiffness & reliability when ridden proper hard.
    Thanking you

STATO
    Free Member

They’ve been ridden pretty hard on bikepacking races, ive given mine a rattling down many descents. But I doubt anyone has put one on a DH bike, principally as the lights you can get that run off dynamo are not really enough for ‘proper hard’ riding, they are good but not DH pace good.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

to be clear, I’m not a DHer! I just have seen comments on efficiency but not gnarliness. I just want something that will take a battering.

Thanks, which do you have?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Not sure about the 15mm one, but the standard ones have very narrow flanges, I think partly because they use the same hub design for 74mm OLN Brompton / Dahon sized hubs, and just wider hub insert things to make it suitable for the more normal 100mm OLN (the axle width).

That might affect stiffness.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Horatio do you mean SON or SP?

STATO
    Free Member

Sorry, mine was the SP 15mm (exposure branded). No issues on a 29er even with the ‘narrow’ flanges.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

oops.. SP PD-8.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SP8X or SON 28 15mm dynamo hub for hammering the downhills?’ is closed to new replies.