Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Southwest Airlines apologises for mocking girl’s name
  • funkmasterp

The airline staff were simply preparing the child for what she’s going to get for the rest of her life.

Greybeard
    Free Member

She’ll be well set up for a job in Google’s parent company

spursn17
    Free Member

At my friend’s daughter’s school there was another girl called La-a, it’s pronounced Ladasha.

Poor kid.

rene59
    Free Member

She must get called Lahyphena a lot.

Cougar

There’s a chav family up the road from me, they’ve a young girl and a younger lad.  The girl’s name is Portia, I know this because it’s bellowed across the street several times a minute in the evenings.  For ages I thought it was an unusual choice of name for the child of a not-working-class family.  Then it suddenly dawned on me… it’s not going to be Portia at all is it, it’s bloody Porsche…

It’s a “Peanuts” cartoon from the early ‘Sixties, with a character called ‘5’

I’ve seen that very strip in real life.  I used to know a lad (from the US, because of course he was) with the middle name of Seven.  His mum reckoned that some day we’d all be numbers so he should be ahead of the curve.

Cougar

At my friend’s daughter’s school there was another girl called La-a, it’s pronounced Ladasha.

FFS, what’s wrong with people?  I’m all for interesting names, I’d draw the line at bloody stupid ones.  She’s going to spend half of her waking life explaining it to people.

tomparkin

I worked a kids Summer camp type thing one year in sunny Corby, and one lass rejoiced in the name of Scarlet Bliss Kettle.

You can really imagine it as the name of Chairwoman of the Board, can you?

dashed
    Free Member

Not in Glasgow is it? One of my colleagues was telling me the same about a young lass up there. Can’t be many, can there???!!

Stoner
    Free Member

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

According to the article in 2014 there were 328 children named Abcde in the US…!

Surely 327 of those have to be administrative errors – ‘oh cock, I’ve started an entry by mistake and need to type something in… abcde 12345 it is’

legend
    Free Member

Not in Glasgow is it? One of my colleagues was telling me the same about a young lass up there. Can’t be many, can there???!!

That’s just a story taken from the Freakonomics book and regurgitated isn’t it?

rene59
    Free Member

How about this one, someone named 1234 but pronounced Juan Tutrifor.

May not be true but seen it posted on Facebook somewhere yesterday.

belfastflyer
    Free Member

People should have to pass sone kind of common sense test before they can have kids.

MSP

Some countries don’t allow parents to burden their children with idiotic names, I think that is the case in Germany, although it is getting more difficult to administer with parents who have migrated there.

chewkw
    Free Member

The daughter’s name is Abcde (pronounced ab-si-dee) …

To be honest I don’t know how to pronounce her name other than … A-B-C-D-E.

Having said that how many of you can pronouce the surname Ng. (Not pronounce as N-G).

😀

Drac

Ning.

RustySpanner

Aren’t these all urban myths?

spursn17
    Free Member

North east London.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Having said that how many of you can pronouce the surname Ng

Lad at my secondary school had that surname, I think the name was from Vietnam.  Like Drac says we pronounced it Ning although this was Lanarkshire in 80s (not exactly a haven of multiculturalism) so was probably wrong and hugely insulting although also the best we could do.

xora

I used to have in-laws with kids who had the names “Bailey” and “Morgan” pretty sure they were their favourite drinks as both were apparently conceived under the influence!

edlong
    Free Member

Well Frank Zappa named his kids Dweezil, Ahmet, Moon-Unit and Diva (a bit ordinary that last one). But he said it was their surname that would cause them trouble.

1) No he didn’t – his daughter’s name is Moon. Unit is her middle name.

2) Ahmet is not an unusual name. Certainly more common in the world, I would guess, than “Diva” (could be wrong about that last part, not researched this).

Having said that how many of you can pronouce the surname Ng. (Not pronounce as N-G).

All of us (unless there’s anyone here without the power of speech) – the question would be better framed as “how many of you can be bothered to pronounce..” – If you can say words that end “-ing” then you can say words starting “ng-” you can just say “ing” and not voice the first bit. If you can say “-ing” then you can get your tongue and mouth into the right position. But it takes a little bit of conscious effort (at first) as it is an unfamiliar way of using it. So people who don’t are just broadcasting that they don’t have sufficient respect to make that little bit of effort.

edhornby

I never knew that Unit was her middle name, I always thought it was a two word first name. cool name 🙂

willard

Obvious urban legend about the chav parents wanting to name their daughter after the nice climbing flower: Chlamydia. Thankfully corrected by the registry staff before cursing the poor girl to a life of Pratchett-esq nominative determination.

ayjaydoubleyou

All leading to the inevitable in a few years…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

franksinatra

My eldest is called Charlotte. When I went to register her birth the Registrar asked me how we were spelling that. “C H A R L O T T E”, I said, “how many other ways are there to spell it?”

The registrar looked over her glasses, lowered her voice ans said “I could tell you some stories…”

10 mins later I was educated just how thick some people can be,

stumpy01

Having said that how many of you can pronouce the surname Ng.

There was a family at our school (well, the son & two daughters) with the family name of Ng. They were Chinese. My sister was fairly good friends with Mai Yee, the youngest girl.

Pretty sure their surname was pronounced like uungh – kinda like the muted noise you make as your crotch hits the stem during an uncontrolled dismount.
    Although most people just said N G.

edlong
    Free Member

pronounced like uungh

There’s some variations (as with most words / languages) but whereas that isn’t as far from “right” as many, there’s no “u” at the start usually – if you think about your tongue when you say “ung” the tongue starts at the bottom of the mouth for the “u” and moves up and contacts the roof of the mouth as it becomes “ng” – so you just skip that first bit and start with your tongue against the roof of your mouth and you’ve cracked it. This is the bit that native English speakers find hard to get – while we can do the “ng” till the cows come home, we’re not used to the starting position of the tongue / mouth as we’re used to it running off a vowel sound of some kind.

This is taking me back to university linguistics tutorials with groups of students all making weird noises!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Poor kid.

I quite like this yin! 😆 creative!

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Southwest Airlines apologises for mocking girl’s name’ is closed to new replies.