Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • South/Mid Wales – 2 days – route options
  • leighz
    Free Member

Have 2 days in this area – can’t reach the north of wales or way out west without too much driving so was looking at a few options:

1) The Gap
    2) Black Mountains long xc loop
    3) The Malverns

Cwm Carn is excellent but I did that last time

Which would you choose? Or none of the above?

Cheers

IHN

The first two

deviant
    Free Member

Brechfa and Nant Y Arian are both good, Nant is maybe too West for you being just outside Aberystwyth but Brechfa is vast and accessible from lots of points.

Captain_Sponge

A big day out in the Black Mountains, followed by lots of beer and food and the Gap ride to mop up the next day.

jekkyl

ideally you need someone wh’s done them all to comment. We did the gap and really enjoyed it, it was tough in parts but not *that* tough, just gruelling rather than get off and walk tough. Some people who were at our B&B at the same time had doen the black mountains route and said it was very tough.

faustus

Yes, do the first two. I’ve done the black mountains classic route including Crug Mawr and it is indeed pretty tough, but fantastic. Then do the Gap the next day. I’d do the black mountains first whilst feeling fresh, as there are more climbs and steeper bits – though you need to have plenty of time. The climbing on the Gap is much steadier so you can twiddle up and take it easier.

EDIT – i’d go for these natural routes as first choice, you can do the trail centres any time really and these routes will feel like achievements.

niksnr
    Free Member

Personally, I’d make the effort to get to Brechfa. Best trail in South Wales IMO. Do the red though, the black is rubbish. You can then stop off at Afan on way in/out.

leighz
    Free Member

yes – have been eyeing up brechfa for a while but it’s 3 hours driving for us each day which is going to really cut into riding time

so – roughly how long to do either black mountains classic or the gap? Assume average fitness…?

I’m leaning towards a big xc classic day 1 followed by something shorter 2nd day with tired legs – possibly cwm carn as it’s only down the road

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Where are you staying Leighz? Gap is a memorable classic,20 odd miles,not super tough,’the Gap’ part is a rocky boulder field which is fun, you get a nice flat chilled pedal along canal path back to the start at Talybont where there are pubs and a cafe. Black mountains loop is great too but longer around 28 miles was the one I did -with more grassy/sheep track terrain and a tough ‘push up’ if you do it clockwise -if its your first time tick the gap off .Don’t forget Afan is not too far away from there and there are numerous off piste options around the area .

leighz
    Free Member

staying in llanthony priory – just east of black mountains loop

yes – afan always top grin. I tend to think off piste options require a bit of local knowledge tho

Should be able to cope with 20-28 miles in a day dependent on the amount of climbing involved

Ambrose

Welshfarmer to the forum please.

welshfarmer

Someone called? Living next door to Llanthony Priory I could probably help you out a bit 🙂

When are you coming. Most of the better rides in the Blacks are quite weather/ground condition dependent if you really want ot get the best out of them. And hopefully it won’t be the last weekend in April as the OMM is running then so will be a bit crowded on all the usual suspects. Let me know when you are coming and I can give you some pointers

IdleJon

Personally, I’d make the effort to get to Brechfa. Best trail in South Wales IMO. Do the red though, the black is rubbish. You can then stop off at Afan on way in/out.

All a matter of opinion, of course, but I’m disappointed by Brechfa every time I ride there. The best ride there is to cut between black and red with someone who knows the area, but even for me only living about 30 miles away it’s not worth the drive. There’s much better riding around here.

leighz
    Free Member

ah – local knowledge!

in a couple of weeks but midweek so no race difficulties

the routes I’ve found:

The Long Gap, Brecon Beacons route

http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/maps/gmap.html?f=Black%20Mountains%20Y%20Das%207th%20Oct%202012.gpx

also

Crug Mawr, Wales route

?

No love for the malverns then

Nipper99
    Free Member

Depending on the weather could do a day at Brechfa and then head to Cilycwm and do the hidden gem that is Mynydd Mallaen.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARHgi4BvxYg[/video]

Nipper99
    Free Member

Not my vid I should add.

welshfarmer

Well those routes are the “tourist routes”, all well and good but they can be made into much better days out if you know how to link them together. Midweek is good as the hills will be deserted. Drop me a mail closer to the date and I will give you some routes. Lambing will be done by then too so could guide you round if you wanted (and weather was nice 🙂 )

jambalaya
    Free Member

Molgrips may have some suggestions too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘South/Mid Wales – 2 days – route options’ is closed to new replies.