Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • SouthLakes100 #Jennride 2017 date sorted so if you fancy a great ride and a ….
  • lesgrandepotato

Anyone have a training plan for this sort of event? I’m guessing being comfortable with 40miles plus in the lakes is the name of the game?

GregMay
    Free Member

Anyone have a training plan for this sort of event? I’m guessing being comfortable with 40miles plus in the lakes is the name of the game?

Ride bike. Eat Ride more. Eat. Possibly sleep. Eat. Ride more.

It’s a fun ride. Focus on not carrying more than you need – on you and on the bike. Be as fit as you need to be for that.

nedrapier

Ride bike. Eat Ride more. Eat. Possibly sleep. Eat. Ride more.

This is my training plan. I will definitely be sleeping between now and May, though. I fancy a nap now.

whitestone
    Free Member

Ultimately it boils down to what Greg says: ride, eat, repeat. You don’t have to race (though some do) but you do have to be able to keep going. Expect a pub stop or two 😀 Last year many had an evening pub meal in Hawkshead. If you are looking at cracking on then figure out where you can resupply with food/water.

Last year was lovely weather which helped a lot but being the Lakes you should expect anything. Take as little kit as possible but enough that you will enjoy the ride whatever – this takes a bit of practice.

ton

I am doing the short event.
    anyone wanting to join me for a slow steady lakes pub crawl, then please feel free.

nedrapier

What’s water availability like on the 100? Only got one bottle cage on the bike.

whitestone
    Free Member

This is the Lakes!

See my previous post about resupply. There are some becks I’d trust, some I wouldn’t.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I am doing the short event.
    anyone wanting to join me for a slow steady lakes pub crawl, then please feel free.

I’m with ya Bro!

nedrapier

Righto, I’ll get scrutinising the route then!

whitestone
    Free Member

Ambleside has Co-op and Spar on Crompton Road. Hawkshead has a Co-op just where you head up into Grizedale forest. Several pubs on or just off the route. Shop at Elterwater just off route. Cafe/shop at Rydal but that’s very soon after Ambleside. Stuff in Grasmere as well.

GregMay
    Free Member

nedrapier – Member
    What’s water availability like on the 100? Only got one bottle cage on the bike.

It’s ok, quite a few becks and tarns you pass by. Also, food stops at Ambleside (both ways), Langdale (Campsite has free water), Coniston (campsite again), few other towns on the back half – again, depending on the time you roll through.

For the return leg – chippy in Ambleside closes at 9pm – IanFitz made it bay 10mins last year, I missed it by 5. Cranky Greg went to CoOp instead and ate a cold pie.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Postierich, how long would stopping at Ambleside break the 2 days up?

Trying to work out from your strava log when you’d dip into Ambleside?.

whitestone
    Free Member

@Nobeer – Ambleside is probably at 20 miles and 80 miles (give or take). This year the route is slightly different but last year Hawkshead was roughly halfway, just over I think. There was a big group of us that bivvied out on Claife Heights

Edit: just checked my Strava files from last year and the above distances are correct to within a mile or so.

ton

I’m with ya Bro!

mate, some cracking boozers on or near the route. 😀

postierich
    Free Member

Trying not to get to excited about this ,nearly 4000 pounds raised well done all.
    The route was put together to ride past lots of cafes and the best pubs in the Lakes the route is 97.8 % rideable 🙂 , was tempted to put the Drunken Duck in maybe next year.
    Resupply of water will not be a problem like the others said its getting some decent warm grub in you before the night sets in!
    Garburn Pass will be tackled near the end for both routes I will be taking it steady during the event
    Looking like a 60/40 split between the two routes I reckon it will be 80/20 in favour of the 100 when reality bites 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/H3RKoN]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

martinhutch

I’m nowhere near hardcore enough to pub crawl it around. If I change my mind, I’ll be the one kipping in the ditch next to the Cuckoo Brow Inn.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hmmm… Need to try and work out how I can get either Ambleside or hawkshead just over half way… I’m sure I can manage to make it work as I have YH booked at both!.

vondally
    Free Member

Okay, just tell me where halfway is on the 100km one…….. Seriously where is halfway ……. Or wheere are most people having an evening break?

martinhutch

Halfway on the <cough> 100 mile one is at 50 miles.

Approximately Hawkshead. A lot of people ended up dossing on Claife Heights last time, I think, but YMMV. I have a cunning plan for when my legs give out. It may involve just staying at the ODG and sleeping under a bench. 🙂

nedrapier

Is this year’s route up/out anywhere yet?

I’ve seen a few people’s gpxs from last year’s, but there’s some changes this year?

nedrapier

Cheers Martin!

vondally
    Free Member

Cheers…….My maths had just worked out it was 50 miles but 😆 not the rough location….

postierich
    Free Member

The route is not set in stone yet final route will be ridden in April but it will not be far off the route above need to find a couple of miles from somewhere 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Vondally its 100 Miles (Lake District ones) the other ride is 200 kms but a lot harder

vondally
    Free Member

Postierich cheers my typo on Kms not miles…..Knee will not survive any more miles……

djflexure

Claife looks like a good bet – never bivvied before though I think I should. Would be good to have some company.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

A great event for a great lady ran by a true gent

Some photos from last year

Claife Heights bivi spot

djflexure

Claife Heights bivi spot

Funny (to me) that I have a photo of my wife at that same spot on her 40th – we had a ride around Windermere – lunch at the bottom, Chinese in Ambleside for tea. One of my best days out.

postierich
    Free Member

Great Pics JohnClimber!
    The event has a beer sponsor for the finish they will be handing you a bottle of ale as you finish 🙂
    http://www.theboroughbrewery.co.uk

http://www.jameskirby.me.uk/blog/2016/06/south-lakes-100-mile-ride-for-jenn-2016/

postierich
    Free Member

Final route set in stone enjoy people had about 8 withdrawals so still a few places left.
    http://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=5530016800BFAA88E62B6E9CE9B8CEA9.fe1?fileId=dmhokhwjoybupcad

https://www.facebook.com/events/1778400099107208/
    or
    richard.munro@outlook.com after you have visited
    would be great to get to 5k
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Richard-Munro7

martinhutch

Drunken Duck is go! Makes my day one a bit longer though.

Looking at the way it’s plotted, I reckon there will be a few more than the advertised 100. 🙂

windysurfer
    Free Member

Rode the first 24 miles and the last 18 miles of this yesterday (everything to the right of Ambleside) This is going to be a lot harder that I imagined!!

martinhutch

Rode the first 24 miles and the last 18 miles of this yesterday (everything to the right of Ambleside) This is going to be a lot harder that I imagined!!

Did exactly that a few weeks back. Only came out as just over 38 miles on Strava, which is reassuring. I think that’s possibly the toughest section (not sure it will feel that way though.)

postierich
    Free Member

Bottom of Garburn with 90 miles in the legs is going to be a soul searcher 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Just checked my Strava stats for last year’s ride and I was moving for 14hrs but there were a few stops along the way for coffee; an evening meal; a bivy and a mountain rescue call out so my overall time was closer to double that. We also did Garburn much earlier in the ride and in the opposite direction.

There’s a lot of minor ups and downs in the rest of the route – they don’t feel like it when you are doing them though – the climb out of Hawkshead being an example.

postierich
    Free Member

Recce of the route has been done and its running really well hopefully the trails will stay this dry
    SouthLakes100=103 miles
    Lakeland 200 =124 miles
    I know which one has the most fun 🙂
    https://www.strava.com/activities/965088164
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/T5Ddwm]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/T5DmEq]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

martinhutch

Looking forward to this. Not sure my body is, though. Every time I look the total climbing has gone up. 🙂

tomaso
    Free Member

It is super dry dusty and fast in the Lakes at the moment. I’ve been through a few perma-bogs without sinking to a halt this weekend.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi Rich, looking good is the route changed much from last year?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘SouthLakes100 #Jennride 2017 date sorted so if you fancy a great ride and a ….’ is closed to new replies.