Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Southern upland way
  • MadBillMcMad

Just found a post on here from 3 years ago so things might have changed

Is it still a massive hike a bike or have things changed for the better and could be worth doing

scotroutes

It’s not changed. Any advice from 3 years ago still stands.

whitestone
    Free Member

I take it you’ve read this blog post? If Phil reckons it’s cack then I’d avoid. He tends to avoid trail centre type flowy trails and searches out the nadge-fest routes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MadBillMcMad

booo

Spin
    Free Member

Bits of it are quite nice but it sounds like other bits are horrendous. I’ve done Lowther going the other way from that blog post above (up the road and down the grassy, heathery bit) and it was actually quite good fun. It might be possible to string something together with variations that would be quite nice but don’t expect miles of flowing, techy single-track.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It won’t ever change, apart from getting boggier.

onehundredthidiot

There’s an old guide book of Scottish rides that this might be based on.

http://www.trailbrakes.co.uk/mtb-holidays/southern-upland-c2c-portpatrick-pease-bay

daern
    Free Member

Rode a short section from Glentrool to Clatteringshaws yesterday – was great, with just one comedy set of vertical steps to climb, but otherwise was 100% rideable on firm, gravel trails and forest roads. Can’t speak for the rest, I’m afraid.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Some of it is excellent ..Traquair up to The Three Bretheren for example can be incorporated into a great loop which can include the top half of the Innerleithen red around Minch Moor then back on the SUW to drop down on The Minch Moor Road to Broadmeadows ..then up to The Three Bretheren and back along the SUW to Traquair..

As for the rest ..I don’t know !

tourismo

Can anyone advise what the section between Traquair and Moffat is like?

onehundredthidiot

Used to walk it with dofe a lot. Patched most of the way. Should be a couple of good bits. But I’d think a fair bit of hike a bike.

Trekster

Done most of it from Sanquhar to Moffat and Moffat to the top of the hill overlooking St Mary’s Loch. As said above nothing too technical, some good decent sand a fair bit of hiking.

My favourite is to get the train from Dumfries to Sanquhar and cycle back. We miss out the section from the radar station above Wanlockhead and ride down Enterkin Burn instead, join the Dalveen Pass Rd and then cycle along it to the next section of SupW over to Daer Res. There is a serious hike up from the Daer!!!! This may have changed since the Harestanes windfarm was built, not been that way since. There are a few new roads up that end of Ae.

The climb out of Traquair is a long drag through fields if I remember correctly and the section named Th Captains Road is/was a bogfest

If you like an “adventure” go for it, it’s what my mate and I used to do long before the joys of asking people on an Internet forum. Exploration is ace…. just too auld and knackered nowadays!!!!

davy-g
    Free Member

it’s up steep steps from Portpatrick, then ride along the clifftop path and then down to Sandeel Bay then it’s hike a bike and some rock climbing with said bike and then a wee cycle along a well worn path to Killantringan lighthouse, onto tarmac for a wee spell and then onto farm tracks and fields over to Knockquhassen Reservoir, back onto farm road and downhill on tarmac to the Galla hill.. more farm tracks and tarmac over to New Luce….. after that I have no idea, as that’s the only parts I attempted…. LOL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Southern upland way’ is closed to new replies.