Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Southern Upland Way
  • tomcrow99

A mate is try to convince me to ride the whole of the SUW next month. He's planning on doing it over 4 days and travelling light with bivvy bags and only a single pack. I know that there are a few decent sections but is it worth the whole thing and is this sort of time scale realistic?
    He is quite into these masochistic trip, me less so but it does sound like quite an adventure!

Any comments or suggestions anyone? Not really looking for excuses to get out of it I just don't know how feasable it is.

Cheers

Tom

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Four days for me yes it's realistic. You less so.

Bits East of Selkirk are grim. As are some of the bits to the West of Inners.

Trekster

Start @ Newton Stewart if you must
    Lots of hiking involved, not much in the way of food stops for long sections. eg hike to the top of the hill from Daer Res = 1hr and is one of many.

Vid from a few weeks back; http://www.youtube.com/user/forge197#p/a/u/1/UVBZETeAHes

tomcrow99

Hmmm I suspected this would be the case… (distance and trail conditions) I may have to try and convince him to do a half route maybe! Obi Have you done any of the Galloway sections? This is the bit that interests me the most to be honest.

EDIT: the section on the vid looks great, thanks for link…

Cheers

br
    Free Member

Bits East of Selkirk are grim. As are some of the bits to the West of Inners.

Disagree, the Melrose to Lauder bit is just a good old fashioned dirt road but from Lauder across the Longformacus is good remote hill-top riding.

Trekster

singletrack(sheeptrack) section above Moffat

near Daer

above sanquhar, before climb/hike

above Wanlockhead

EDIT: the section on the vid looks great, thanks for link…

Cheers. That was a train journey from Dumfries to Sanquhar with the intention of riding back to Dumfries, 50-60mls depending on chosen route. However my mate has been struggling for a while with knee/thigh problems and we had to cut short at Thornhill after 5hrs hike`n bike.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

B R – and the other bits in between those and before them? Grim.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Southern Upland Way’ is closed to new replies.