Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • southern softie riders, explain yourselves?
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

Better than Holland

alex222
    Free Member

phil, I'm only having a dig mate. There are pros and cons to both. Although I've never ridden in surrey or quantox or dart moor. just adding to the rhetoric.

grumm
    Free Member

whereas there is around another 3/4 mile or so of singletrack trail prior to this so a good 10-15 minutes heading down all the way. I'd say that is a hill.

Bravo! Looks like a fairly pleasant but not slightly dull bit of singletrack down a very gentle slope. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

of course Jon Rambo is a southern softie himself compared to us men in Scotland ( and don't mention the highlanders – even the women are men! )

joolsburger
    Free Member

Your right it's absolute shite, never come here :cry:…

Found a vid of the top half http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7GbFkKjf4&feature=related

Really linking that and the first half of the other run is such crap that I can barely describe it. Dull, flat, slow and the scenery is shite too.

Honestly the south has nothing to offer.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Better than Holland

only better than northern holland, the southern netherlands are where gnar core was invented!

grumm
    Free Member

BTW I have formulated plans to come down south (Brighton) to visit Adstick and see some of the riding down there – then I will have some more ammunition to mock your puny trails.

Or I will I just struggle with your amazing super-twisty singletrack and be forced to eat my words?

muggomagic

If the northerns are including the cairngorms, then as a southerner I am claiming the Alps, Pyrenees and Sierra Nevada.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh btw, the quality of a trail is not proportional to the size of the hill.

alex222
    Free Member

you're right take the cairngorms out and we're left with the pennines, the north pennines, the north york moors, yorkshire dales, peak district, the lake district etc.

grumm
    Free Member

It would take me about the same amount of time to drive to the Cairngorms as it would to drive to London – which would be the better option for riding do you think?

DezB
    Free Member

Didn't we do this nonsense a few weeks back? It didn't half wind Fred up. So he'll be along soon no doubt.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I wonder if anyone's actually moved house after reading a thread like this?

kimbers

the only real dh trail i can think of round london anyway is aston hill

and in the wet its plenty challenging enough

theres porc too but aston just seems more gnar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s98kVeSfkN4&feature=related
    and if anyone can find me an equivalent dh venue near liverpool id be very greatful

kimbers

molgrips
    Free Member

which would be the better option for riding do you think?

Depends what kind of a ride you're after.

You could do many seriously good epic rides down here, and they'd be of different quality to the Cairngorms.

You might even like them, you never know!

Like I say don't knock it til you've tried it – with a local 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Depends what kind of a ride you're after.

As I'm after something good I would probably go to the Cairngorms – if I was after something not as good I'd go to London 😉

As I said, plans are afoot…

kimbers – dunno about dh near liverpool really – Llandegla is probably a good bet especially if the new freeride area is open yet. Think there is quite a bit of DH in N Wales but you probably need a local to show you where.

molgrips
    Free Member

Silly, grum!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I rode stuff in Surrey just the other day that scared me more/as much than some of the DH runs I've done in Scotland and the alps. Not very long admittedly but plenty steep and techy, and plenty of them.

Just a matter of knowing where to look. Its not having the gradient that matters, but what you do with the gradient.

I never really get this "my area is better than your area" crap that gets spouted off in forums. There are great areas up north and down south – great, it means people can get around and ride other places and enjoy them – too few people (on this website in particular) do that.

I've said this before, I've never shown anyone the trails I ride down here and not seen a massive grin on their faces. If you don't want to try that or believe it, I won't lose any sleep over it.

alex222
    Free Member

foel gnash (spelling). its a track to replace nantwich or nanarch can't really remeberwhich. both are in chesire though. maybe nantwich is the town and nanarch was the track.

thebunk
    grumm
    Free Member

I never really get this "my area is better than your area" crap that gets spouted off in forums.

I believe it's known as 'banter' and not to be taken (completely) seriously. 🙂

jacko54321
    Free Member

i once went up north to cwmcarn, that wasnt very gnarly

singletrackmind

Darn Sarf , those green things are trees.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

grum – Member
    I never really get this "my area is better than your area" crap that gets spouted off in forums.
    I believe it's known as 'banter' and not to be taken (completely) seriously.

I want to believe you but noticed you just condoned Llandegla, so now I can't take anything you say seriously.

grumm
    Free Member

Oh, someone else on STW who can't ride it properly so slags off Llandegla, that is a surprise! 😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

There's an art to riding Llandegla? Does it transfer to the Marin and make that enjoyable as well?

kimbers

ive done llandegla before and to be honest i quite enjoyed it

and i can reward myself with a tasty burger afterwards

molgrips
    Free Member

Llandegla at a trundle – boring
    Llandegal at flat out pace – brill

kimbers

exactly when id did llandegla i was against the clock as i had to get back to the inlaws asap

clubber
    Free Member

Oh, someone else on STW who can't ride properly so slags off the South, that is a surprise!

😉

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Why would anyone ride a trailcentre at a trundle?

clubber
    Free Member

Are you new here?

If you don't like my trails at <insert name of your local trails>, it's because you're a crap rider.

hooja
    Free Member

Time to close the thread…..
    Born and raised in the peaks, spent most of it on two wheels, now live i n Cornwall and if it wasnt for the lack of surf in the peak i would be back up there like a shot, trails down here just dont cut it with the north (or wales, which is easier to get to from the peaks). The south aint great and as for the south east, that will all be under water soon….ahhh shame!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I think you are muddling up the south east with east anglia. Or East Angular as you might know it by…

julianwilson
    Free Member

giving it an extreme sounding name like 'The Dominator trail

yes, I regularly ride down/round 'the vasinator', 'the diversionator', 'the barbinator' and 'the badgernator'. These are all real trails with real names however named with a tounge in cheek at the 'discombobulator' phenomenom alluded to there. 🙂

FWIW I think its about being overbiked rather than a softy. Some of the downhills (yes there is such a thing in the south west and we even have a proper race series and all) that the local groms do on little jumpy hardtails is humbling.

grumm
    Free Member

Oh, someone else on STW who can't ride properly so slags off the South, that is a surprise!

Which bit of the shallow incline with no rocks or features as posted in those videos do you think I wouldn't be able to ride? 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bolloxy thread if you ask me. If you want big hills a rocky, techy, climbs & descents then the North has it. If you want swoopy sweepy singletrack where you giggle like a girl cos you can still actually breathe then go south. If you want complete epic rides where you can get into serious bother if your'e not careful, then head to Scotchland. (my fave)
    All a matter of choice & opinion. Innit?

clubber
    Free Member

Which bit of the Pennine trail in the pic above do you think I wouldn't be able to ride? 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

How dare you clubber, that's ^^ the gnarliest trail on Dartmoor. Don't let these hardcore radsters come down and ruin it!!

trailmonkey

i've never seen anything that technical on dartmoor

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘southern softie riders, explain yourselves?’ is closed to new replies.